PDA

View Full Version : DOTA 2, FBX Export

wyattharris
09-15-2013, 10:13 PM
I'm trying to export a scene to FBX format so I can import it to the DOTA 2 workshop. I tested this process using the demoward fbx file that Valve gives out from the workshop page and it worked but now trying to import my own I get "contains no polygon data" during the process. The same fbx file loads fine into Unity and seems to have everything setup correctly.

I'm exporting using the default settings. Is there anything I should change?

While testing, I'm making changes to the LW scene and exporting without saving over the original. Would I need to save the scene whenever I make changes or is exporting enough? The reason I ask is I noticed the importer complained about the geometry containing no weight maps but still continued. I added a weight map and exported again but still got the error.

Let me know if you need any other information. Thanks for any help.

Red_Oddity
09-16-2013, 02:28 AM
Maybe use an older fbx version? Does the skinning and weighting get exported as well? (I read Maya had a bug where it would detach the skinning and discard the weigthing information, resulting in the 'contains no polygon data' error.)

chay
09-16-2013, 01:47 PM
I'm trying to export a scene to FBX format so I can import it to the DOTA 2 workshop. I tested this process using the demoward fbx file that Valve gives out from the workshop page and it worked but now trying to import my own I get "contains no polygon data" during the process. The same fbx file loads fine into Unity and seems to have everything setup correctly.

I'm exporting using the default settings. Is there anything I should change?

While testing, I'm making changes to the LW scene and exporting without saving over the original. Would I need to save the scene whenever I make changes or is exporting enough? The reason I ask is I noticed the importer complained about the geometry containing no weight maps but still continued. I added a weight map and exported again but still got the error.

Let me know if you need any other information. Thanks for any help.

Ok, so I was having this same issue. You need to make sure you apply a texture to it inside the 3d program you are exporting from, the same one that you are selecting when it asks for the texture files. If you are trying to create a courier, also make sure you don't fudge the bone setup by giving it the same bone three times, for example dont just put root root root, put root, righteye, lefteye, (or whateva your bones are called). This courier bone stuff is not quite related, but it was the error I got after getting past the geo export error.

GL

wyattharris
09-16-2013, 02:30 PM
Ok, so I was having this same issue. You need to make sure you apply a texture to it inside the 3d program you are exporting from, the same one that you are selecting when it asks for the texture files.So in LW I'm assigning the color map to the surface using the "T" button. Do I then need to use the texture file created by the FBX export or will the original be okay? Also, this will cause the no geo error?

If you are trying to create a courier, also make sure you don't fudge the bone setup by giving it the same bone three times, for example dont just put root root root, put root, righteye, lefteye, (or whateva your bones are called). This courier bone stuff is not quite related, but it was the error I got after getting past the geo export error.Yeah, I'm making a ward so its similar. I'm just testing out the textures in game to get them right so I've only got the root bone. Could that cause a problem?

wyattharris
09-16-2013, 02:32 PM
Maybe use an older fbx version? Does the skinning and weighting get exported as well? (I read Maya had a bug where it would detach the skinning and discard the weigthing information, resulting in the 'contains no polygon data' error.)I can try a different version but there's no indication from Valve what they are looking for. I am also getting skinning and weighting errors but I wasn't sure if that would cause the 'contains no polygon data' error. What would cause the weight map to not export?

chay
09-16-2013, 09:50 PM
I can try a different version but there's no indication from Valve what they are looking for. I am also getting skinning and weighting errors but I wasn't sure if that would cause the 'contains no polygon data' error. What would cause the weight map to not export?

Not sure about the weight map problem, i was however getting issues with it saying that some verts had not been assigned a weight, just make sure that your weights are solid and that you only have a max bone influence of 3 (from memory) so be careful with that too.

Also perhaps make sure you have at least a few keyframes for your animation .fbx files, if i just used my fbx model file it seemed to have a sad.

Throughout the whole process i would check my fbx to make sure it was actually exporting properly (either reimporting into your 3d package, or into other 3d software packages if you have access to it) that way you can at least check what has been exported.

For a good indication of what valve is looking for check out their ward download on http://www.dota2.com/workshop/requirements/npcs if you haven't already

wyattharris
09-17-2013, 03:57 PM
Attached is the output of the import attempt. I believe this is the same error you are referring to. I've got every vert assigned to a weight-map and I've just double-checked it to make sure.

As for the bones, I've only got the one root bone at the moment while testing. I'm not familiar with bone influence, what does that mean? That may be my problem.

I'm exported 5-90 frames each time so that should be fine.

wyattharris
09-18-2013, 08:33 AM
This is probably also a basic question but when you create a model, by default it has a Subpatch Weight Map. I did not use this one and created new weight maps for everything. Could this be causing a problem? I notice you can't delete the default Subpatch Weight Map. At least I couldn't.

wyattharris
09-19-2013, 09:14 AM
Chay, did you create your courier using LW for the whole process or did you export using some other program?
I'm throwing in the towel on LW exclusive. Something is just not coming over right and I'm not finding any answers online, not unexpected. :D

Ah well, it was worth a try.

Unless someone from NewTek can explain why this isn't working. Pretty please!

wyattharris
11-05-2013, 11:26 AM
Hello folks, so here is what came of this. After trying several different combinations of settings the LW FBX exporter just wasn't working and I couldn't figure out why. So I got with a friend of mine, a Softimage expert, and he talked me through the FBX tools in Soft. What we found was it's not LW that's the problem, it's the FBX exporter because Soft couldn't do it either. I don't know what's going on under the hood but in Soft you get envelope settings that are referencing the wrong map and that would match up with the error I was getting in the DOTA importer. It's probably fair to say that its more the DOTA import tool than the FBX format because Unity had no problems reading the file.

Anyway, my friend had done this a few times already so he talked me through using the SMD tools and that imported just fine. Man what a hassle. Source Engine always gives me headaches. :D