PDA

View Full Version : The Scarecrow - Chipotle raises the bar on commercials.

Mr Rid
09-15-2013, 03:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUtnas5ScSE

Created by Moonbot- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3ZOFIE5e4g

Danner
09-15-2013, 04:25 PM
Excellent, beautifully done animation, I love Fiona Apple too.

Dexter2999
09-15-2013, 05:07 PM
respect

vector
09-15-2013, 10:36 PM
Very nice... Was LW used to do it?

Waves of light
09-16-2013, 03:03 AM
Wow. That is truly brilliant work. It would be great if LW were used in its creation.

erikals
09-16-2013, 04:10 AM
Splendid! http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/king.gif

Dexter2999
09-16-2013, 04:25 AM
I sent a request to the guys at fxguide to see if they would maybe do an article about this piece. Would be nice to learn more about who did it and what techniques they used for the NPR rendering.

Of course NOW I see the behind the scenes series of videos.

wesleycorgi
09-16-2013, 05:08 AM
Definitely a very nicely done advert - the visuals are impressive. But <soapbox>, I find some of it ironic. As a recently turned vegetarian (health reasons not ethical - I would eat things with eyes on it all day long if I wasn't so unhealthy), I find it funny that they are taking a stance on genetically altered meat. Mr. Scarecrow is happy harvesting his veggies from his small farm. It would lead one to believe Chipotle is a vegetarian restaurant.

There seems to be a message about food as an automated production line. Funny because where I live in Los Angeles, they are stamping out Chipotles on every block and wherever I travel across the US they are popping up. When you are in a Chipotle, you feel like you are in a production line: 1) Choose style (burrito, taco, salad), 2) choose your animal (cow, pig, chicken), 3) choose your sides - or something like that.

If my daughter didn't like their salads, I'd never step into a Chipotle (and I never eat there, just my kids). There are too many good Mexican options, local and chain. Poquito Mas comes to mind where you see them making the tortillas in front of you, their produce is nicely displayed like art, and your food isn't cooked until ordered. Whereas, Chipotle has all their food sitting nicely in those heated metal containers ready to slop onto your tortilla - they are the Subway of Mexican (ok an exaggeration). </soapbox>

jwiede
09-17-2013, 12:57 PM
they are the Subway of Mexican (ok an exaggeration). </soapbox>

I don't find that characterization an exaggeration at ALL, the parallels seem quite apt. That said, compared to other fast food choices, both Subway and Chipotle are significantly better than other, more popular "burger options". Still, I'm not either of their houses' walls are adequately opaque to be throwing such stones, as it were.

As for the commercial itself, very nicely done, esp. w.r.t. the facial animation -- so much conveyed so well using so little, quite inspiring. The lack of dialogue (I don't count the crow squawking as dialogue) actually makes the whole piece even stronger, IMO. Regardless of whether Chipotle is in a position to talk down about others, the animation taken for itself is very nice.

jeric_synergy
09-17-2013, 01:41 PM
What's the budget on a work of this scope?

And : what was the pitch like??????

safetyman
09-17-2013, 02:51 PM
Good work, and I really love Chipotle, but I hate standing in that line.

Verlon
09-18-2013, 09:33 AM
But isn't Chipotle owned by McDonalds? And what about genetically modified plants? And are we going to trust the judgment of people who haven't figured out that CORN is not a sauce?

The 3D is nice, though

Dexter2999
09-18-2013, 09:50 AM
But isn't Chipotle owned by McDonalds?

No, McDonalds bought them in 98, but had fully divested by 2006.

Dexter2999
09-24-2013, 11:55 PM
Looks like fxguide may have already been working on this interview...
http://www.fxguide.com/featured/exclusive-making-moonbots-chipotle-short/

geo_n
09-25-2013, 01:28 AM
Quality cg and there's a game, too.
In the article they mention a Butterfly rigging system in maya. Interesting approach.

Hail
09-25-2013, 06:13 AM
Wow!

Nicolas Jordan
09-25-2013, 07:12 AM
I enjoy this style of short film, it's very well done!