PDA

View Full Version : distance texture

benedict_ilagan
09-13-2013, 04:30 AM
Hi guys, any link or thread pointing to distance texture??

distance texture is an automatic detection to create a texture of a given specific object. A good example for these type is the water & an island, to wc the ocean automatically detects the touching edge of the island to the ocean level wc generally creates a foam or wave type at the surrounding edge of the island. Another good sample is the cup of coffee, where a coffee foams can be seen and create foams at the wall of the touching cup.

any suggestions and comments, pls share your thoughts...
thanks

nickdigital
09-13-2013, 07:12 AM
You can use a gradient and use "distance to..." as an input.

Skonk
09-13-2013, 08:13 AM
For the Island/Water scenario you can use a gradient set to Thickness.

prometheus
09-13-2013, 10:29 AM
For the Island/Water scenario you can use a gradient set to Thickness.

yeah lilke this...

benedict_ilagan
09-13-2013, 08:31 PM
You can use a gradient and use "distance to..." as an input.

yeah, thanks nickdigital for that good point and thanks to you too skonk but your suggestion seems like the effect is just a reflection of the object.

The only thing wc nickdigital suggestion & noticed when i move the water in the -Y axis, the foam texture remains on top of the water until it fades out to a certain -Y distance ( in my case totally fades out at 1.0m) while at +Y axis it automatic dissolves as normal with no problem. The negative value just doesn't perform like the positive one. :) :)

pinkmouse
09-14-2013, 02:10 AM
The problem with the Distance Gradient is that it doesn't respect geometry, just distance from the pivot point, as can be seen below:

Nodal is even worse, as it doesn't even have the DtoO option available in the gradient control panel, so you have to cobble together a bunch of stuff just to get a similar effect to the above. LW really needs a geometry intersection/adjacency node.

edit: Even better would be an option to use distance to another texture as well, that would really simplify doing stuff like wear/grime in corridors or paths.

benedict_ilagan
09-14-2013, 03:25 AM
The problem with the Distance Gradient is that it doesn't respect geometry, just distance from the pivot point, as can be seen below:

Nodal is even worse, as it doesn't even have the DtoO option available in the gradient control panel, so you have to cobble together a bunch of stuff just to get a similar effect to the above. LW really needs a geometry intersection/adjacency node.

edit: Even better would be an option to use distance to another texture as well, that would really simplify doing stuff like wear/grime in corridors or paths.

yeah but the only thing different from your settings is that your colored is my main applied texture wc i will apply another gradient layer (distance to object w blending mode as alpha) wc i have more control on how far the texture would go.

pinkmouse
09-14-2013, 03:54 AM
Indeed, I just showed that simple example to illustrate the problem. Just in case you thought I'd ignored Prometheus' suggestion, the next pic shows the problem with Thickness:

The effect sort of works, but changes with camera angle, and still doesn't quite achieve the desired result.

pinkmouse
09-16-2013, 04:38 AM
Still a work in progress, but I think I'm getting somewhere: