PDA

View Full Version : Interactive Nodal Displacement

dandeentremont
09-11-2013, 10:36 AM
I know it's kind of a stretch to ask, but is it possible for nodal displacement in lightwave to be "interactive" with Item Info nodes?

What I've got is a nodal displacement setup that controls facial morphs. Each morph is connected to a Null's Y position using lightwave's native Item Info nodes.

The nodal setup is great for removing the need to make L and R versions of every morph, but sadly, it only updates when I move the timeline.
Is there any way of getting the displacement to update each time I move a control null?

dpont
09-11-2013, 10:53 AM
You may try this tip,
add a classic displacement texture to the mesh
select the Null as Reference Object (deactivate the Texture Layer if you don't need it),
then the Null become inreractive for every thing else including nodal displacement.

Denis.

dandeentremont
09-11-2013, 11:20 AM
I'm definitely gonna try that when I get home. Thanks Denis!

Oddly, at work, I made a similar setup to my home rig and the displacement WAS interactive!
I don't know if it is because of a later version of lightwave or if the nodal setup was simpler.

Anyways, I'll keep you guys updated.

probiner
09-11-2013, 11:32 AM
Alt+F9 for Shortcut editor. Search "Studio Panel" and bind it to a key. Open it and click "LIVE". Should be interactive now. I used to use this https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/master-autorefresh/ or put a unactive bone on the Null.

Cheers

dandeentremont
09-12-2013, 10:24 AM
For some reason, I couldn't get the item reference trick to work when using a Texture Displacement on the mesh. Studio LIVE was successful, but on the slow side, presumably because everything was updating.

Putting a bone on each control null did the trick, though! I can't wait to try this with Part Move, as I always couldn't get it to update interactively.

Also, Denis, I used Part Move in this scene to control the glass shards:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuhLd7WTGvM#t=1m22s

dpont
09-12-2013, 12:21 PM
For some reason, I couldn't get the item reference trick to work when using a Texture Displacement on the mesh...

For another reason, my nodal morph driven by a Null
was interactive even without any trick, ..
was confused by something in my scene,
and a older issue with interactivity in 11.5.0 (fixed in 11.5.1).

..Nice sequence.

Denis.