PDA

View Full Version : Particle Emitter to follow Displaced Object

raw-m
09-10-2013, 06:09 AM
Sorry if this has been asked before, can't find anything relevant in the search.

I want to attached an Emitter to the surface of an object that is being deformed via Displacement Nodes. Is there a way to get the particles to follow the deformation of the object? I've tried using ClothFX to scan motion but it hasn't worked. Anyone have a solution?

Areyos Alektor
09-17-2013, 02:07 PM
For the "Emitter" you can use "Textured Motion" in "Motion Options" then "Add Modifier". And playing with "Parent Motion", "Collision" and "EditFX" you should get for your purposes.

jameswillmott
09-17-2013, 03:43 PM
You have to use the Calculate button in the FX panel usually. Then the particles will follow the deformation.

XswampyX
09-17-2013, 03:47 PM
Raycast node?

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/RayCastNode_zps784d17c6.jpg (http://s465.photobucket.com/user/xXswampyXx/media/RayCastNode_zps784d17c6.jpg.html)

prometheus
09-18-2013, 01:41 PM
As mentioned, you need to calculate particles for them to follow the deformation, but you also need to take in account the weight, resistance etc...since the deformation will affect the particles to fly away in all possible directions, depending on weight resistance etc..so it will not just sit there on the surface and follow the deformation..so
that is the tricky part, I think you should do a cloth fx motion scan, and replaying it and add particles to it..I think you need to set the playback to local, not sure though..I have done that before.
Might be able to test tommorrow.

Michael

prometheus
09-18-2013, 01:50 PM
Uhmm..second check ..donīt think what I mentioned will work...with particles that is, maybe just add hypervoxels to the vertices of the deformed object so you get rendered particles without the particle dynamics that is, if it just should follow the deformation...for variance in the particle looks, you can use weight map or textures.

But I donīt quite follow what the end result is suppose to look like? and also ..is it the particles that should cover the deformed object and follow it or is it the emitter cage that need to follow it?

Michael

raw-m
09-19-2013, 06:20 AM
Big thanks for everyone's feedback!

It's basically more if an experimental effect but would have found it useful in the past. I have a speaker cone object made up of a few objects rather than one overall solid object, which uses weight maps to displace. I basically want throw particles at it (or emit from it) and react to the beat of the displacement. I've had some interesting results using instances and flocking but couldn't get the Emitter thing to work. I'm not really after realism and want to use a lot of instancing on the particles, so have ruled Bullet out, for now.