PDA

View Full Version : GE curves, from linear to smooth out

raw-m
09-10-2013, 03:03 AM
This has been one of those questions that appears minor but has been bugging me for ages, so it's time to see how the grown ups do it!

It's basic enough, I've got a linear motion between two keys - incoming curve set to Linear, no problems. I then want a smooth motion out of that key into the next key. As you can see from the speed curve, the issue is the motion jumps/speeds up on the frame immediately after my linear key.

Is there a technique to smooth out the jump without adding an additional keys?

RebelHill
09-10-2013, 04:52 AM
I think maybs you're just misinterpreting the meaning of the speed curve. The speed, or velocity, curve of an item is taken as the first derivative of the position curve... as such, what it represents is the rate of change in that position... I know that intuitively this seems as though you should get nice smooth ramps in speed, but very often, you dont, you get sharp breaks (or discontinuities) as velocity is a quantity that is able to change instantaneously and so a motion which is perfectly smooth wont necessarily have a perfectly smooth velocity function.

raw-m
09-10-2013, 05:36 AM

Hi RH. Yes, I was just using the speed curve to demo the movement I was talking about. My solution to smooth the motion is to add a keyframe a few frames after the linear key. I'm thinking there may be a better or more efficient way to do it?