PDA

View Full Version : Morphing issues

Wayne Heim
09-09-2013, 11:11 AM
I have a human spine. I duplicated it onto another layer and turned some levels and distorted things like the ribs and such. I would like to do a morph from one to the other. When I load it into layout and try to set up the morph from one to the other the polys get all crazy and twisted and distorted. It's a mess. Any clue what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Wayne

nickdigital
09-09-2013, 11:37 AM
Is your subdivision level set to last?

As long as your objects are identical (except for the difference in point position) you should be fine. You could also put your target into a BG layer in Modeler and use the BG to morph to make a morph target for the base object.

Sensei
09-09-2013, 11:58 AM
Any clue what I'm doing wrong?

You should attach screen-shots..

Maybe during editing you changed order in which points are in the mesh (by adding or removing point, edge or polygon, some modification tools also remove and readd geometry, changing order).

Wayne Heim
09-09-2013, 11:59 AM
It was the subdivision level. Was not set to last. Thanks!!

LW_Will
09-09-2013, 12:10 PM
Is your subdivision level set to last?

As long as your objects are identical (except for the difference in point position) you should be fine. You could also put your target into a BG layer in Modeler and use the BG to morph to make a morph target for the base object.

Why is the subdivision setting ANYTHING other than "Last"? Has there ever been anything wrong with subdivision that WASN'T fixed by changing the settings to "Last"? Why isn't the default set to "last"?

The world needs to know!

;-)

Wayne Heim
09-09-2013, 12:14 PM
I was wrong, setting subdivision order to last keeps it from getting messed up but now at any % morph it doesn't change anything.

W.

Wayne Heim
09-09-2013, 12:30 PM
This is what happens when I have displacement set to first. When I set to last nothing happens. Number of points and polys are the same (system won't let you morph unless it is)

W.

nickdigital
09-09-2013, 12:41 PM
You didn't do any destructive modeling on your morph? Looks like the point order is different.

Wayne Heim
09-09-2013, 12:48 PM
I subpatched the ribs. Then I rotated some of the vertebra and used drag net to move things around and create a hump in the ribs. I tried freezing the models to get rid of the subpatch and get the same thing.

nickdigital
09-09-2013, 12:49 PM
Can you post the files?

Wayne Heim
09-09-2013, 01:30 PM
I uploaded a zip to my site:
http://www.wayneheim.com/twisted2.zip

Thanks in advance.

W.

Wayne Heim
09-09-2013, 01:32 PM
how do you do bg to morph?

Sensei
09-09-2013, 01:43 PM
how do you do bg to morph?

Maps > Bkg To Morph
You must have selected fg and bg layers.

nickdigital
09-09-2013, 01:47 PM
Put your morph in a BG layer, with your base object in the FG go to Vertex Map>BG Morph.

Or just embed the morph into your base by making a morph on the base. Not through a separate file.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DE4TkKn0zCQ

nickdigital
09-09-2013, 01:56 PM
Yeah your point order is off. Background to Morph won't work.

You could try this plugin to try and fix it.
https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/3dd-meshreknitter/

Or just redo your morph. That would probably be easier.

Wayne Heim
09-09-2013, 02:23 PM
Can you tell me how I got my point order off? I just rotated and moved stuff.

nickdigital
09-09-2013, 02:29 PM
Usually happens with destructive modeling or by adding geo. Hard to really diagnose without seeing what you did step by step. If you literally copied the geo to a new layer, then did your adjustment and then wanted to use that as a morph you should have been fine.

Also as a small fyi...if you're gonna post content for people to debug, make sure to strip off anything you're not going to submit. Your model has a bunch of images.

Wayne Heim
09-09-2013, 03:03 PM
Thanks Nick. Sorry.

nickdigital
09-09-2013, 03:09 PM
Thanks Nick. Sorry.

No worries. Hopefully you get your morph situation sorted out.

Wayne Heim
09-09-2013, 03:56 PM
Nick, just tried again. Copied the vertebra from straight spine to new layer and re-rotated them to match the bend. Loaded the two layers into Layout and tried a morph and get the same thing. Polys going everywhere. I did remember to set the subdivision order to last.

Sensei
09-09-2013, 04:04 PM
Are you using Morph Target & Morph Amount envelope in Deform tab in Object Properties?

Did you deactivate target layer in Scene Editor and hide it in viewport, so you don't have src & target at the same time on screen/render?

nickdigital
09-09-2013, 04:14 PM
Nick, just tried again. Copied the vertebra from straight spine to new layer and re-rotated them to match the bend. Loaded the two layers into Layout and tried a morph and get the same thing. Polys going everywhere. I did remember to set the subdivision order to last.

Not sure what layer you're referring to when you say 'straight spine'.

Using a separate file for a morph target is a pretty old method. It's probably only useful for morphing surfaces. If you don't need to do that try to build your morph into your base object.