PDA

View Full Version : IK driven legs while upper body controlled with Kinect?

merovingio
09-08-2013, 03:42 PM
I have a fully functional character driven by Kinect, but I need my character to have feet frozen on the ground. The legs should follow the movement of the upper body with a traditional IK.

Any advice? Thanks.

nickdigital
09-08-2013, 07:22 PM
You could parent/contrain a null to where the ankle and heel should be. Then bake out the motion, then use them as IK goals.

lino.grandi
09-09-2013, 02:01 AM
I have a fully functional character driven by Kinect, but I need my character to have feet frozen on the ground. The legs should follow the movement of the upper body with a traditional IK.

Any advice? Thanks.

Retarget you character to the Kinect rig using the IK option for the legs. Then you have to disable the Same As Item position constraint you have on the following controls:

ControlRig_RightFoot_IK
ControlRig_LeftFoot_IK
ControlRig_IKPole_RightLeg
ControlRig_IKPole_LefttLeg

Then you'll be free to animate the IK controls.

merovingio
09-09-2013, 12:06 PM
Ok, there is no ControlRig_RightFoot_IK but a ControlRig_RightFoot. Same for the ControlRig_LeftFoot, which is already have Same As Item disabled.
There is no ControlRig_IKPole_RightLeg or left, there is a LW_Rig_IKPole_LeftLeg, which have already Same As Item disabled as well.

I did some quick test and get some results disabling Same As Item and Position Item for the bones of the feet and i think i got the logic now. Also i unparented LW_Rig_IKPole for left and right and the same for LW_Rig_RightFoot_IK and the Left one as well.

Almost there i think.

You know, i think that could be a good setup for capture poses where the character don't walk, like idle, or talk, because the knees should bend correctly without the typical floating effects of the Kinect.

lino.grandi
09-09-2013, 01:03 PM
Sorry!!! I'm afraid I was referring to the latest internal build of NevronMotion (and to some changes to the Genoma/Nevron rig!).

The whole point is to retarget using IK for the feet.

Then you have to look for:

LW_Rig_LeftFoot_IK
LW_Rig_RightFoot_IK
LW_Rig_IKPole_LeftLeg
LW_Rig_IKPole_RightLeg

Unparent them and use them to control the IK animation for the legs. Of course make them selectable and visible....but, well, you know that. ;)

merovingio
09-09-2013, 03:54 PM
Works like a charm. Also be sure to uncheck Same as Item on the bones of the feet and select Match Goal Orientation for the first bone of the foot.

Now the feet stay in place and the IK works just fine, making the character looks standing and balanced. So now i can stay near the Kinect, because the legs are not important anymore, while IK take care of them. But... i cannot stay to close, because the Kinect skeleton walks forward and the feet detach from the ground in a superman pose. My solution is to move a little backward the Master and it works, but it is not elegant, because while not live the whole pose of the character looks weird.

Is there an elegant way to subtract a little on the Z axis while live?