PDA

View Full Version : Naiad

erikals
09-07-2013, 09:21 PM
AutoDesk drops 3DSMax Naiad integration, focuses on Maya >
http://www.maxunderground.com/archives/19385_autodesk_siggraph_event_news___including_fut ure_of_naiad.html

so, i think we can see where this is heading...

if you are a Max user focusing on VFX, jump to Maya...
if you are a "XSI" user focusing on VFX, jump to Maya...

soon, there will be one to rule them all... http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/devil.gif

(actually, this is good news good for NewTek...)

mikala
09-07-2013, 09:29 PM
Not good for all the poor people that invested in the other programs.
I feel for the XSI users.

Philbert
09-07-2013, 11:03 PM
It'd be a shame to see max go. I find it much nicer to use than maya.

Yog
09-08-2013, 02:49 AM
AutoDesk drops 3DSMax Naiad integration, focuses on Maya >

Not quite right. If you read the whole piece (and links), Autodesk is saying that Maya will be the first platform to support Naiad, not the only one.

However ... with Autodesk increasingly pushing Maya as the preferred content creator for games as will as film work and anything else that requires animation, and with Autocad and Revit eating into the Arch-Viz market with increased support for solid modelling and Mental Ray rendering in each release, its difficult to see where MAX will be in the next five years :cool:

Skonk
09-09-2013, 04:19 AM
In the long run it doesn't make sense for a company to maintain so many different packages that effectively compete with each other.

erikals
09-09-2013, 05:20 AM
true, they bought XSI just to get some tech out of it and for then to ditch it... :/

stiff paper
09-09-2013, 07:08 AM
true, they bought XSI just to get some tech out of it and for then to ditch it... :/
I suspect that was the lesser part of their reasoning. I think they mainly bought XSI to prevent anybody else from buying it and then maintaining it as a competing tool in the "high end" VFX and animation space. Handled correctly, XSI could have been a definite threat to Maya. It seems plain that they didn't really want XSI, they just wanted to be sure nobody else had it.

Autodesk killed their competition, bought themselves a wide open playing field, and, hey, if they also got some nice tech out of it, well that's just gravy.