PDA

View Full Version : Persistent Selection Sets

Ryan Roye
09-07-2013, 09:18 AM
Something I can't seem to figure out is why selection sets disappear when loading objects from scenes. My guess is that the selection set features assume that the user intends to keep all objects within the scene they were created in. This applies to both the scene editor and "current item dialogue" methods.

So, if this is the case (and I would LOVE to be wrong about this), I'd like to request that items loaded from different scenes preserve selection sets contained within their heiarchy. So, if one wants to load a character into a new scene, they'll be able to take advantage of pre-made selections for doing certain functions rather than relying on custom scripting to achieve it.

Ryan Roye
09-07-2013, 10:18 AM
As a side note, it'd be nice to have a more solid selection set functionality in general. There are too many instances where selection sets can get decimated (IE: loading a motion capture file into the scene deletes all selection sets).

For those who have similar problems, i've found Dodgy's MCLayers plugin (http://www.mikegreen.name/) a good alternative to saving selections (among other things)

evenflcw
09-07-2013, 10:57 AM
Selection sets are unreliable because every implementation (except possibly old Scene Editor) is implemented via the old plugin architecture (New Scene Editor) - and plugins don't tend to communicate that well between instances of themselves or other plugins - unless all coders makes the extra effort. It seems NT to this point atleast has preferred to spend the extra effort only to provide us with additional yet redundant implementations that provide no additional power (rather the opposite as multiple separate implementation mean users will have to define the sets multiple times to have them available in all implementations).

I agree. Groups, ie a collection of references to element ids (be they item id, surface id or other id), which selection sets are a subcategory of, should be implemented close to the core of the program. Being able to create groups is just one step beyond fundamental functionality in my book.

PS. In the case of new SE, you might be a able to LFS the SE instance (with the selection sets)... BUT that means the sets are only avaiiable to that instance, not added into the primary SE instance you probably already have started.

geo_n
09-07-2013, 10:59 AM
Have you tried the old scene editor?