Oedo 808
09-07-2013, 09:10 AM
Very nice results indeed.

Hail
09-07-2013, 09:36 AM
This guy is good!:)

Ryan Roye
09-07-2013, 09:47 AM
Chris is absolutely insane. Fantastic and inspiring work.

kfinla
09-07-2013, 09:55 AM
ya, hope he has time to do a breakdown.

jasonwestmas
09-07-2013, 10:05 AM
Wow, really shows the power of tension mapping.

nickdigital
09-07-2013, 12:42 PM
I thought LightWave was incapable of character animation.

jasonwestmas
09-07-2013, 01:00 PM

It is until you install the plugins ;).

Megalodon2.0
09-07-2013, 01:10 PM

Do you mean PMG, Softimage, Blender, Motion Builder, etc? :)

jasonwestmas
09-07-2013, 01:32 PM
Yeah, but in this case I was referring to DP Kit. :)

chikega
09-07-2013, 01:47 PM
Very sweet! It looks like Chris may have overcome some of the issues he was encountering in this thread:

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?132336-Eyes-and-Wrinkles&highlight=eyelid

Was the DP Kit used to finally resolve the problem?

stiff paper
09-07-2013, 01:50 PM
Wow, really shows the power of tension mapping.
And here I was thinking it really showed the power of a good artist.

Ah, right. All down to plugins.

jasonwestmas
09-07-2013, 01:56 PM
And here I was thinking it really showed the power of a good artist.

Ah, right. All down to plugins.

Did I say ALL? It's a two way street of course. I was emphasizing the general technique of tension mapping. Obviously, the execution of that technique is excellent here.

VonBon
09-07-2013, 07:51 PM
:eek:WOW!!! Dude a Beast.

I want to try this for myself but I think the Node setup
will beat me to a pulp before I can get started.

Like they say, Better to have tried and failed than to have not tried at all.
Yall know that my "Original" saying, don't be tryn to steal it. ;D

Julez4001
09-07-2013, 08:29 PM
Very Impressive

RebelHill
09-08-2013, 06:43 AM
Wonderful, wonderful work... Id expect no less.

erikals
09-08-2013, 07:26 AM
Very sweet! It looks like Chris may have overcome some of the issues he was encountering in this thread:

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?132336-Eyes-and-Wrinkles&highlight=eyelid

Was the DP Kit used to finally resolve the problem?

unfortunately the eyelash / eyebrow deformation offset problem wasn't solved, but i think i solved it today (at least the eyelashes)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVFN_bU8Gg4

Chris Jones
09-16-2013, 07:17 PM
Thanks everyone - I've just followed up with some more info here (http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?137719-Human-Progress) if you're interested.

geo_n
09-17-2013, 12:47 AM
Excellent work! Killer node flow in that thread.

jwiede
09-17-2013, 02:28 AM
It's very impressive, and looks fantastic. I too would be very interested in a breakdown, particularly in terms of the practicality/feasibility of the technique for general use. Being able to do it "at all" is only the start of the battle, its determinism, reliability and usability are at least as important in practice. A big question I have is just how much of a load the config puts on LW, and thus whether it can practically be combined with similarly-detailed body mesh, rigging, and animation? Alternately, can LW run two such facial configs simultaneously (f.e. animating dialogue/interaction)?

jasonwestmas
09-18-2013, 09:04 AM
It's very impressive, and looks fantastic. I too would be very interested in a breakdown, particularly in terms of the practicality/feasibility of the technique for general use. Being able to do it "at all" is only the start of the battle, its determinism, reliability and usability are at least as important in practice. A big question I have is just how much of a load the config puts on LW, and thus whether it can practically be combined with similarly-detailed body mesh, rigging, and animation? Alternately, can LW run two such facial configs simultaneously (f.e. animating dialogue/interaction)?

Most of the time performance and FPS playback is the biggest issue. In the case of body animation, much of it can be solved with LODs, depending on the final look of the animation. I think for a face I would approach it like I would with any software (when dealing with a final detail mesh) which is to animate the face in a separate scene and bake it to point cache. Then have a separate scene that has the head and body together and apply the point cache before or after the body is animated. It is possible to check how the facial animation is relating to the body posturing at any time when applying point cache to the face. A third scene for further enhancement of the relationship between the face and the body expressions could be done in chronosculpt for that extra push.

Concerning multiple characters. The neat thing about programs like lightwave and messiah is that it's pretty easy to just throw in a low poly proxy model to block out the animation and then bring in your final meshes later to finalize things.

So no, there is still no clear cut nonlinear way in handling highly detailed deforms. Performance issues are still a factor for playback reasons. We still have to rely on LODs and scene/format splitting in a some complex cases especially when dealing with multiple character bodies too. But I do think when we can find an opportunity we should use point cache as much as possible and when it makes sense to.

Chris Jones
09-19-2013, 08:03 AM
A big question I have is just how much of a load the config puts on LW, and thus whether it can practically be combined with similarly-detailed body mesh, rigging, and animation? Alternately, can LW run two such facial configs simultaneously (f.e. animating dialogue/interaction)?

The full body rig at subpatch level 1 runs at about 5 fps on my 5 year old PC (Core 2 Quad Q9550), or 1.25 fps with displacement nodes turned on. The head by itself with brows and lashes removed is about 15 fps. Turning on displacement nodes slows it back down to around 5 fps. These are just quick tests, it could possibly be tweaked to go faster.

I'm not sure what the performance is like with more than one of them in scene, since I can't load any more in without it crashing. Not sure why. On the plus side, the scene doesn't crash on exit half as frequently as it did in XP now that I've moved to Windows 8 64 bit (again, not sure why).

(c:

jwiede
09-21-2013, 01:02 AM
The full body rig at subpatch level 1 runs at about 5 fps on my 5 year old PC (Core 2 Quad Q9550), or 1.25 fps with displacement nodes turned on. The head by itself with brows and lashes removed is about 15 fps. Turning on displacement nodes slows it back down to around 5 fps. These are just quick tests, it could possibly be tweaked to go faster.

That's good news, I was worried the perf. might be substantially lower than that with equivalently-realistic-density body mesh, but instead it sounds pretty typical for a hero-rigged character in LW. Thanks for the info, Chris!