PDA

View Full Version : You *HAVE* to watch this.

Dillon
09-06-2013, 08:26 PM
Virtual reality is already here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bytIGCeGxo

I'm still picking up the pieces of my jaw.

Would love to see a discussion of us LWers about this. It's going to affect everything. Education, communication, research&design, planning... etc). Limitless possibilities.

PS: watch the other video samples.

Dillon
09-08-2013, 11:38 AM
Wow - I'm astonished that no one replied.

Maybe I'm really late to the game (I did a forum search); but I found this combined use of evolving technology to be incredibly exciting. I imagine us soon being immersed in our modeling and animating environments as we create them.

Some functionality already exists in 3D apps. With Lightwave, its Studio that Rob Powers brought in from the technology used on Avatar. Imagine wearing an Oculus Rift while in Studio mode and animating, or performing motion capture, or modeling.

God this just excites the HELL out of me!

shrox
09-08-2013, 11:44 AM
Wow - I'm astonished that no one replied.

Maybe I'm really late to the game (I did a forum search); but I found this combined use of evolving technology to be incredibly exciting. I imagine us soon being immersed in our modeling and animating environments as we create them.

Some functionality already exists in 3D apps. With Lightwave, its Studio that Rob Powers brought in from the technology used on Avatar. Imagine wearing an Oculus Rift while in Studio mode and animating, or performing motion capture, or modeling.

God this just excites the HELL out of me!

The subject was posted the other day, but just showing the models in various environments.

geo_n
09-08-2013, 11:50 AM
nintendo virtualboy 2013 :D

Dillon
09-08-2013, 01:10 PM
And then there is this https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HnDJXYjFZUg#t=126 motion capture without lag.

Oculus Rift plus lag free motion capture = BEING your 3D character while being INSIDE the 3D environment.

I'm so freaking excited about what's due in the next few years. I really really really hope that Powers and company are taking note of the recent innovations in just the last year.

MarcusM
09-08-2013, 01:33 PM
Virtual reality is already here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bytIGCeGxo

I'm still picking up the pieces of my jaw.

Would love to see a discussion of us LWers about this. It's going to affect everything. Education, communication, research&design, planning... etc). Limitless possibilities.

PS: watch the other video samples.

Here you can download it. It's Unity and IBL plugin.
http://ir-ltd.net/multi-sky-3d-scan-tools/

Dexter2999
09-08-2013, 02:41 PM
Might be interesting to see what this tech would mean to MMORPG. Can you imagine this type of MOCAP and Avatars applied to something like WOW?

Or to be able to PLAY a character in a game like SIN CITY?

Yes, we live in interesting times.

pinkmouse
09-08-2013, 04:31 PM
I seem to remember all this VR stuff being hyped about ten years ago. Not a lot came of it then, so I'm not holding my breath this time either. ;)

prometheus
09-08-2013, 05:36 PM
I seem to remember all this VR stuff being hyped about ten years ago. Not a lot came of it then, so I'm not holding my breath this time either. ;)

I believe some of that whas issues with focus of depth for the eye..I think.

this does look promising, but it needs to reveal animated characters in a realistic way for a starter, then navigation through city/building environments, some of the exciting and challenging stuff would be to get realistic nature environment in there.
I could see my self doing wingflap training.if those motions would lift me up in the sky like a bird, and let me fly and hover over vast landscapes,oceans and rivers and forests, But..not even final renders from the best landscape programmes is there yet,
so I don´t know...Ivé seen some real time demo game engines showcasing some good stuff in some areas, but lacks a lot in others..I reckon maybe 10-15 years before it would reach my vision of realism level where I really can say..I want this now and would start flapping with my arms.
Second life virtual reality sucks by the way.

Ernest
09-08-2013, 09:53 PM
Might be interesting to see what this tech would mean to MMORPG. Can you imagine this type of MOCAP and Avatars applied to something like WOW?

LOL! That would mean that everyone would actually have to learn how to dance their WOW /dance. Good luck to the troll males!

geo_n
09-08-2013, 11:12 PM

The quality back then with the virtualboy was horrible. Not sure about pc systems.
This one looks good and a lot of people love fps games.