PDA

View Full Version : Alembic import issues

Tranimatronic
09-06-2013, 09:14 PM
I'm trying to load an alembic hierarchy (created and exported from Maya (one file, multiple meshes)) and Chronosculpt only seems to show the last item from the file (not the whole hierarchy)
Anyone else having these issues ?

jasonwestmas
09-06-2013, 11:58 PM
I believe Chronosculpt is designed to only handle one object file at a time when importing. I would export each object in your maya scene separately as an .abc file.

Tranimatronic
09-07-2013, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the suggestion! I'll give that a try.
It is kind of lame though. At work, we are passing hierarchies between Maya and 3dStudio using Alembic. On it's way back into Maya you specify the root node and Alembic handles the rest.
From what you said, it sounds like Chronosculpt doesn't fully support the Alembic file format (which kind of kills it for me using it professionally)
How do I add this as a feature request ?

EDIT
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?136915-Better-Alembic-support
oh- it's already there ;)

jasonwestmas
09-07-2013, 12:39 PM
yeah I made a request too, so I think LW group got the message by now lol. It does slow things down not being able to import multiple selections or an entire scene and bring it into CS.

chris.evans
09-10-2013, 09:47 AM
It's really important that you guys have solid Alembic support. I am not talking about splines and stuff, but basics like moving transforms, nested hierarchies, multiple meshes, cameras would be nice... But I wouldn't consider them the basics.

jasonwestmas
09-10-2013, 11:07 AM
It's really important that you guys have solid Alembic support. I am not talking about splines and stuff, but basics like moving transforms, nested hierarchies, multiple meshes, cameras would be nice... But I wouldn't consider them the basics.

No, not the basics. . . .just to state the obvious because that's what I do: The purpose of having a universal format exchange between apps. is so that we don't have to jump through as many hoops. As simplistic as those hoops can be, it will slow things down exponentially for every object without being able to import multiple objects.

szabolcs
09-10-2013, 03:28 PM
It's really important that you guys have solid Alembic support. I am not talking about splines and stuff, but basics like moving transforms, nested hierarchies, multiple meshes, cameras would be nice...
And please keep the object attributes intact! For example if the abc file contains data for the material assignments (saved as custom data for the objects) than it should be retained in the process.

Cheers,
Szabolcs

kfinla
10-17-2013, 09:27 PM
Is Chronosculpt (or LW) using Alembic 1.5?

Will Chronosculpt ever support particles? I see that the Exocortex Alembic maya plugin importer supports particle caches since Alembic 1.0. It would be pretty great to have Chronosculpt be able to work with particle data also.

http://vimeo.com/41146792