PDA

View Full Version : Removing rubbish geometry

TheSnidr
09-06-2013, 09:08 AM
Hello!
I'm still quite new to the program, and my modelling style seems to create a lot of rubbish geometry. By that I mean polygons where two points are the same, or sometimes even multiple polygons on top of each other.
So I'm wondering - is there a simple way of cleaning up a model?

Say I have a model consisting mainly of triangles, and then I combine two points in the model to one. This doesn't automatically delete the triangles both of the points are part of, leaving invisible line-polygons in the model.

Or, say I copy a part of the model and paste it back in, and forget to move it (and it's too late to do ctrl+z). Then I'll have a bunch of triangles on top of each other. Easy way to remove?

JoePoe
09-06-2013, 09:25 AM
press "m" to merge points to get rid of points/polys that are right on top of each other. "Unify polys" can also help in clean up.... Details tab > Polygons > Unify Polys. (note: sometimes you might get some points that are ever so slightly NOT right on top of each other. In order to catch these still use "m" but in the numerics panel choose "fixed" and give it a small value).

As far as the joining of two points leaving an "invisible line poly" I think you are describing two-point polys being created.
In this case type "w" to bring up Statistics, in poly mode look to see if any two vertices polys are listed. If so, hit the little + sign to make them active and Delete. :)

Edit: Sorry, should have said this first...... Welcome to Lightwave!

TheSnidr
09-06-2013, 10:45 AM
Thanks a lot! I managed to manually clean up the overlapping triangles so I didn't get to test the "unify polys" tool, but I'm sure it will come handy!
Statistics, however, was very useful. I got rid of 8 2-polygons, and I'm sure there are a lot more in the other models I've created!

This is the model I just finished:
http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/5950/lbkp.jpg
Now time to texture it!

jeric_synergy
09-06-2013, 11:15 AM
Welcome to Lightwave. Yeah, the Statistics panel is essential.

You might have a veteran LWer watch over your shoulder to spot modeling habits that create rubbish geometry. Q: on which application did you learn modeling? (Just idle curiosity-- it'd be interesting to know for an "X to LW" article.)

Merge points is a good tool, but it is dangerous if your geometry requires coincident points. Here's maybe my most advanced trick: to make points UNMERGABLE, make an endomorph called, say, NOMERGE, and move the points away from each other-- now they won't merge. Now just ignore that endomorph totally- its only function is to prevent unwanted Merging.