PDA

View Full Version : Vray 3.0 coming

geo_n
09-06-2013, 02:12 AM
Hopefully someone will port this almost industry standard renderer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usXiMBqQ5Fc
So they finally catch up to vpr useability. This new progressive renderer is compatible with most of native functions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gu_gpNu5VVE
vray hair. Not bad but its still slower than hairtix but its free so worth looking into.

geo_n
09-06-2013, 02:50 AM
Scratch that its not yet there with vpr. Vpr is still superior. Can't move stuff while progressively rendering :D

Red_Oddity
09-06-2013, 03:19 AM
I can in VRay 2.x (nightly builds) in Maya, CPU RT though.

geo_n
09-06-2013, 03:26 AM
In the viewport itself? Or moving something in the viewport reflects the change in the render panel like fprime.
I wish worley would update fprime. :D

btomer
09-06-2013, 08:16 AM
I thought that this was interesting in regards to how this processing technology from intel could possibly be applied to the lightwave render.

http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/embree-photo-realistic-ray-tracing-kernels

Tobian
09-06-2013, 08:55 AM
Yes Vray 3 is seeing huge render speed increases from Embree. I really hope Lightwave gets this technology. It will help Lightwave so much, for 'free'.

Red_Oddity
09-06-2013, 09:21 AM
Moving in the viewport reflects in the VFB, i don't think we have rendering directly in the viewport in VRay 2 yet.

jwiede
09-06-2013, 06:16 PM
Yes Vray 3 is seeing huge render speed increases from Embree.

Cinema4D R15 is seeing _huge_ gains as well, also thanks to Embree. Seriously, C4D R15's Physical renderer feels like LW-level render performance (and historically C4D's renderer has always been pretty slow), Vray with Embree boost is almost scary to contemplate. In order to remain competitive, LW3DG needs Embree in LW.

Philbert
09-07-2013, 03:05 AM
Looks like it's still in a window and only the camera view.

chikega
09-08-2013, 03:25 PM
crazy fast rendering of hair ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QN-JU-drMg

erikals
09-08-2013, 05:16 PM
the problem with Vray is, the price, for that amount i might as well buy a small renderfarm.
Vray for LightWave is welcome, for some...

meanwhile i'm looking forward to LightWave optimizations, Octane optimizations, and Kray 3...

and as always... bake...!

Red_Oddity
09-09-2013, 02:54 AM
The old price was very reasonable (970 euros for a GUI license with 10 VRay standalone/network/DR render nodes), the new pricing not so much.

juanjgon
09-09-2013, 03:43 AM
What is the new pricing?

-Juanjo

erikals
09-09-2013, 05:34 AM
The old price was very reasonable (970 euros for a GUI license with 10 VRay standalone/network/DR render nodes), the new pricing not so much.

yeah, new price is $1050 for Vray3, $3500 for 10 nodes... that's $4550... if you wanna add either Maya/Max/XSI to that you can add $3000 more, +upgrades. of course, Vray upgrades aren't likely to be cheap either.

Unified Licensing
In V-Ray 3.0 the User license and Render Nodes are licensed separately. This allows for unified licensing across applications and reduces the cost for individual User licenses. The new price of V-Ray 3.0 for 3ds Max User license + 1 V-Ray 3.0 Render Node is $1050/ 750. Single V-Ray Render Nodes 3.0 cost $350 /250.

just over a few years, an AD + Vray 10nodes solution is going to cost you $10,000

beverins
09-09-2013, 07:07 AM
yeah, new price is $1050 for Vray3, $3500 for 10 nodes... that's $4550... if you wanna add either Maya/Max/XSI to that you can add $3000 more, +upgrades. of course, Vray upgrades aren't likely to be cheap either.

just over a few years, an AD + Vray 10nodes solution is going to cost you $10,000

For EDU it gets worse. Vray is no longer a perpetual license for EDU customers, it is rental only. At least it is a yearly rental, but rentals just suck.

geo_n
09-10-2013, 08:07 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAk9JgQMrJw

Lots of character animations there.

jasonwestmas
09-10-2013, 09:01 AM

yah, well you would definitely need to have your projects all lined up for you to pay all that up front! Seems too risky. And for that kind of pricing I would expect more than a 40% render speed increase. For photoreal stuff I can understand the render hits I get with it, I throw a lot of polygons at Vray 2.3 in maya. I couldn't imagine using it for animation with only a few computers lol.

geo_n
09-10-2013, 11:11 PM
Talked to the moneyguys. Looks like they will need to re-evaluate upgrading if its worth it. No more unlimited nodes for backburner.
I could offer lightwave as an alternative if only pointcache worked from 3dmax2lw.

Red_Oddity
09-11-2013, 05:03 AM
Actually, with VRay 3 the rendernodes work in both Maya and Max if i understood correctly. And with VRay 2 you can just render vrscenes from Max and Maya in the same vraystandalone (vray.bin/vray.exe).

jasonwestmas
09-11-2013, 09:38 AM
Talked to the moneyguys. Looks like they will need to re-evaluate upgrading if its worth it. No more unlimited nodes for backburner.
I could offer lightwave as an alternative if only pointcache worked from 3dmax2lw.

There are the DP Kit nodes for loading PC2 or you can convert the PC2 to MDD (probably not the best solution). Or use point oven for max and export mdd from there. I think the best option is to use Exocortex for Alembic. It is pricy for only one exporter/writer.

Of course, I would do a lot of testing with the Lightwave Alembic when that becomes available.

geo_n
09-18-2013, 08:57 AM
There are the DP Kit nodes for loading PC2 or you can convert the PC2 to MDD (probably not the best solution). Or use point oven for max and export mdd from there. I think the best option is to use Exocortex for Alembic. It is pricy for only one exporter/writer.

Of course, I would do a lot of testing with the Lightwave Alembic when that becomes available.

I've tried most of that. The problem is 3dmax is using right handed coordinate system and lw is using left handed or vice versa I forgot what the devs told me. There is a mismatch when loading a static mesh and vertex cache. This has to be addressed by newtek internally by making presets(max,maya,etc) for importing fbx,obj WITH pc2 or mdd files into lw.

V-Ray VFX & game cinematics show reel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBAYS1Ftmnc#t=303

jasonwestmas
09-18-2013, 09:19 AM
mc files work fine with lightwave, strange that a PC2 file would be all mixed up. Supported interally I guess is the best way.

yeah the stuff I saw for Vray video game cinematics was what made me give VRay a go. I just need a faster processor to get anything done, lol. RT for maya won't render at all when using certain nodes and breaks a lot as I'm rendering, as I came to find out. I'm pretty ticked about that tbh. So that progressive rendering does look interesting if I have the scratch but I probably won't go for it right away. I'd asked lots of questions about it after my RT experience.

geo_n
09-18-2013, 07:03 PM
I would be really curious to see how you have setup max2lw that works. A simple max scene with a camera and sphere with squash and stretch up down in z axis pointcached, that exports files that lw can load and just work and be exactly like the scene in max. That could potentially let newtek market lw as a thirdparty renderer for max and compete with vray.

jasonwestmas
09-18-2013, 07:22 PM
I would be really curious to see how you have setup max2lw that works. A simple max scene with a camera and sphere with squash and stretch up down in z axis pointcached, that exports files that lw can load and just work and be exactly like the scene in max. That could potentially let newtek market lw as a thirdparty renderer for max and compete with vray.

I'll look into it. I'm pretty sure I had something working a few years ago.

jasonwestmas
09-18-2013, 08:26 PM
Just tested max2LW (Max 2013 and Lightwave 11.5.1) using the standard Point Cache (WSM) modifier, all works great with native tools.

-) In the modifier rollout Just create your name and hit record. This spits out an xml file that can be opened in native LW11 MD Reader

-) Export your FBX mesh. Use the Y UP orientation.

-) In lightwave layout, load the FBX and delete the skeleton. You should have an unbound mesh at this point.

-) Load the xml file into the MD Reader for your object.

-) In the Reader settings, set Apply cache to: object space instead of local space. That will make the object deform in the correct orientation axis.

Hope that's what you were looking for.

Alternatively, you can make a selection set for all the meshes you want to bake and then select the set in the fbx exporter.

geo_n
09-19-2013, 06:22 AM
Thanks. Just tried it again. Still getting flipped stuff. 3dmax 2009 to lw 11.6 prerelease.
Not only the layout scene is different axis but the models in modeller are different axis, too.
This is not so hard for newtek to fix. On import lwo models converted from max fbx must be adjusted to match up axis in modeller. Simple testing of shapes will do this. Layout also not so hard to convert the coordinates from max fbx to lightwave coordinates without adding 90deg to items in the scene. Should be zeroed out.

jasonwestmas
09-19-2013, 10:55 AM
Yeah the way that the FBX importer interprets the Y UP axis is that it either bakes the pivot point orientation into the SCENE (not the model) or adds the motion plugin (your Choice). Modeler doesn't have pivot point orientation capabilities so you still get the 90 degree axis flip. I'm not sure why you are having problems with layout though. You can download the FBX exporter for 2013 and above and use that with max 2009 I think. That's all I can think of atm.

jasonwestmas
09-19-2013, 11:23 AM
I think these are the latest greatest FBX plugins for max. Might fix your problem with layout. [url]http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/item?id=10775855&siteID=123112[/ur

Edit: Actually fbx 2013 doesn't appear to support max 2009, sorry about that.

Here's fbx 2010 for max 2009 http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/item?siteID=123112&id=14942949