PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using Janus for rendering passes??

mummyman
09-05-2013, 08:06 PM
Just wondering the opinions on this... I have a monster project, that will eventually screw me with the way I'm setting up all my scenes / passes in Lightwave. THis is where I am totally missing (don't hate me) XSI for it's render management / passes and overrides system. The only useful thing from that program, as far as I'm concerned...being an oldschool Lightwaver...

Thanks for any input on this.

Brett

chikega
09-05-2013, 08:55 PM
Janus is the only game in town now for LW render passes not counting the now open-source Passport. I believe there's a Youtube tutorial on how to use LW, Passport and Blender for composting. But for $99, Janus is well worth it. Softimage is the bomb though. I have a friend who works for a firm based in Atlanta and they use Softimage and ICE has been very useful for them.

Are you taking the render passes to After Effects or the like?

I went to medical illustration school by the way in Augusta. Nice to meet another Lightwave-based medical animator. :)

tayotain2
09-06-2013, 12:45 AM
I use janus almost every day now. First it was hard to understand but now i see how powerfull it is. :) http://faulknermano.com/janus/docs/online/index.html?page=tutorials.html

dulo
09-06-2013, 03:34 AM
We also use janus on a regular basis. Often there are little bugs, but the author is alway very helpfull and fixes them quite fast...

mummyman
09-06-2013, 08:30 AM
Thanks everyone!!! Great sensus so far! I'll see how it goes.. Hope to try to integrate it. @ Gary... cool! We have a few people in our loop from Atlanta. Sweet!

mummyman
09-06-2013, 09:40 AM
Janus is the only game in town now for LW render passes not counting the now open-source Passport. I believe there's a Youtube tutorial on how to use LW, Passport and Blender for composting. But for $99, Janus is well worth it. Softimage is the bomb though. I have a friend who works for a firm based in Atlanta and they use Softimage and ICE has been very useful for them.

Are you taking the render passes to After Effects or the like?

I went to medical illustration school by the way in Augusta. Nice to meet another Lightwave-based medical animator. :)

I'm taking all my frames into After Effects. They are long sequences (usually)

Ryan Roye
09-06-2013, 10:02 AM
If going the Blender + passport + amleto route, I recommend saving the scenes out and sequentially rendering the files rather than initiating the passes straight out. A crude solution, but it works.

I have no experience with Janus, but it seems like a nice solution from feedback I've read in the past.

chikega
09-08-2013, 11:03 PM
Thanks everyone!!! Great sensus so far! I'll see how it goes.. Hope to try to integrate it. @ Gary... cool! We have a few people in our loop from Atlanta. Sweet!

That's very cool. I wonder if any of them came from Shaw Science or Nucleus Medical Media (both Atlanta-based medical/pharmaceutical animation). The latter uses C4d fairly extensively.

Let me know how Janus goes. I'm looking into incorporating it myself. :)