PDA

View Full Version : How to dissolve an instance ??

Remoc
09-05-2013, 03:56 AM
Hi Lightwavers,

I have a simple question. After I use "Clone Instance" on an object, space them apart a little, then use "object dissolve" on the Instance, the object DOES NOT dissolve when rendered. ( or on the VPR )

Is there anyway I can dissolve (fade ) away an instance?

Please see the attached image.

Thanks in advance,

Remoc.

DonJMyers
03-27-2018, 04:00 PM
I am having the exact same problem. HELP!

Nicolas Jordan
03-27-2018, 05:18 PM
There isn't an easy way to do this that I know of in Lightwave.

MonroePoteet
03-27-2018, 06:51 PM
What version of Lightwave?

mTp

jeric_synergy
03-28-2018, 12:53 AM
SHEER GUESS, but I would think you'd be able to access an instance's OPACITY via nodes.....BUT, I see that the Instance Generator destination/final node doesn't have an "OPACITY" input.

That seems like a hell of an oversight. Make a Feature Request. (SOME body, ANY body.) Looks like low-hanging fruit, as it would add a lot of capability for, I'm guessing, very little coding effort.

It seems that this must be possible though...

The only input that would seem to be applicable might be WEIGHT: if the source object were somehow set up to react to the Instance/WEIGHT... hmm.... the INSTANCE INFO node, for use in all Node Editors BUT the Instance Node Editor, does not have an output for WEIGHT. This might be something that a 3rd party node writer could generate faster than LWG.

So, feature requests:

1) An OPACITY input for the final destination node in the Instance Generator Node Editor (wide applicability);

2) A WEIGHT output for the INSTANCE INFO node.

Niko3D
03-28-2018, 02:49 AM
It's very easy...
Just put the "dissolve" in the original file...automatically every single "Clone Instance" will change.

jeric_synergy
03-28-2018, 07:31 AM
Isn't that only true if you want every Instance to dissolve equally?

Surely there's a way to CONTROL the opacity of every Instance? That is, to vary the Opacity of every Instance individually and separately?

MonroePoteet
03-28-2018, 07:44 AM
You're putting the Dissolve envelope on the *instancer* Null, not the base object being instanced. This works fine in both LW2015 and LW2018.

When you press "Clone Instance", it creates a Null object, renames it to be <base object>_inst, creates an Instancer for the Null and sets up the Base Object in the Instancer. It changes the Object selection to the _inst Null. You need to put the Dissolve envelope on the Base Object.

140911 140909 140910

mTp

Skonk
03-28-2018, 10:32 AM
Is this what bryphi77 is showing here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10z6gCE-MT4

MonroePoteet
03-28-2018, 02:47 PM
Is this what bryphi77 is showing here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10z6gCE-MT4

No, bryphi77 is using the Transparency channel on the Surface, not the Dissolve envelope on the Object. It's another way of making the Instances disappear, and is more versatile since you can then use the Instance ID as input to vary the behavior per Instance as he's doing, as well as apply a Time Offset to make the Instances dissolve at different rates. Even in LW2018, the Dissolve channel is ignored by the Instancer=>Time Offset.

If you're going to use this technique in LW2018 on a Principled BSDF Surface, be sure the Refraction Index is set to 1.0, the Transmission Color is set to pure white, and the Transmission Distance is set "large enough" or you may get a "smudge" where the 100% transparent object is located.

A sample LW2018 scene is attached, which uses the Instance ID to choose a random "dissolve" rate. The key-framed motion of the Base Object is offset in time using a Turbulence procedural on the Time Offset, so if you try to use Dissolve to do this, it doesn't get respected. Instead, the scene uses the Item Info=>Time node (Time is in seconds), and Clamps the Random Scalar from the Instance Info to between 0.1 and 1.0 (otherwise, some instances can take a LOOONG time to dissolve).

140913 140914 140915

mTp

jeric_synergy
03-29-2018, 09:09 AM
I figured you could do it via Surfaces, but that seems a very clumsy approach, because what if your Instances had multiple surfaces? Nah.

It really should be POSSIBLE, and imo it's LHF that should be added in the very next rev.

MonroePoteet
03-29-2018, 09:42 AM
Yes, making the Instancer Time Offset respect the Dissolve envelope on the base object (instead of just its keyframed Motion envelopes) would allow the Dissolve envelope to be applied to individual Instances with Textures or nodally.

mTp

jeric_synergy
03-29-2018, 10:35 AM
Yes, making the Instancer Time Offset respect the Dissolve envelope on the base object (instead of just its keyframed Motion envelopes) would allow the Dissolve envelope to be applied to individual Instances with Textures or nodally.
mTp
Monroe, is that a Feature Request?