PDA

View Full Version : Yacht

Lewis
09-04-2013, 02:58 PM
Hi!

Here is one of recent projects i did. It is 32 meters long Yacht/Boat currently in creation at dry dock (Real one ;)). Investor wanted to make 3D model so he can present it to potential buyers sinc real deal is not ready yet BUT he had no blueprints so i was modeling by looking at photos on dry dock (rusty pile of metal currently ;)) and he was "guiding "me through video conference sesions for about 4-5 days (3-5 hours of video conference/live modeling session ech day) untill model was done to his likings, also it's all SubDs, even the Sea :). So design is his and he also insisted to have mor 32-36 of deck chairs on boat since he plans to have it as touristic Yacht/boat for 36 persons. All in all it was FUN project :). Waves are made in post as visible in Geometry render.

cheers and thanks for looking

allabulle
09-04-2013, 04:35 PM
Another great job, Lewis! Congratulations.

By the way, what a peculiar way to work, through video conference. Wow. I wonder how that worked. The result is excellent, but what about the process? Would you care to comment on that? I'm curious as to how a process like that affects one's usual way of working.

You may very well skip any further explanations, but if you feel like expanding on the matter I'd like to read about it. :)

Lewis
09-04-2013, 04:48 PM
Well, i had lenght and width of the ship to start with and i had this old/small photo (attchment) to start with as to pretend it's blueprint. We had one video conference with Q/A and i got several photos to look at overall current state. Rest is not visible on photos so it was me modeling/eyeballing form photos and by his explanations while we talk/chat on skype and he looks my screen while i model. It was interesting and crazy sometime sicne he dont' know nothign about modleign so he sometime didn't know how to explain what he wants but we maneged afterall :). I share my screen he is looking at me modeling and he is suggestign/commenting if i go wrong somewhere and then i fix/change it :). 5 days in a row form evenign till 1-2-3AM depending when we started at evening :).

Thanks for commenting :)

allabulle
09-04-2013, 05:57 PM
What an interesting project, then. I've never worked that way. The closest to that work-flow I've been into would be the ones when you send various screen grabs to client for step by step approvals and revisions. Or when at the end, sometimes the client comes by to polish something, or to agree in the final touches before committing. I try to avoid having the client by my side while I work as much as I can, because it's never been that productive generally, in my experience that is. But having a live modelling session on-line during that many hours in a row... wow.

Anyway, it seemed to me while reading your explanations that a gig like this once in a while could actually be fun. Well, as fun as it can possibly be in those circumstances. More like an experimentation on where to go or what to do with the client. Interesting.

Was it taxing your computer's performance to work while sharing the screen on-line?

Thank you for sharing your experience, Lewis. And congratulations again.

nickdigital
09-04-2013, 06:32 PM
No blueprints?! Oh my!

Good job Lewis.

allabulle
09-04-2013, 07:24 PM
To be honest, I seldom find blueprints as accurate as one would expect anyway. Often not even CAD templates provided by clients. But yes, without them one has to guess everything from photo references... and hope for the client to agree on your choices. Maybe some of that guess work done with the client, if communication is good enough, can be interesting and productive, like in this case, it seems.

I smiled when reading "(...) he sometimes didn't know how to explain what he wanted but we managed after all." That process can be either fun and creative or easily turn into something nightmarish. :)

Seeing how we model something seems to puzzle people not familiar with the 3D modelling craft until the shape is clear enough and we are adding more obvious details or structures. To maintain a client's attention while modelling almost from scratch, live, without them thinking we're crazy or confused because of the steps taking place until the thing makes sense to them visually can't be the easiest thing. I'm just guessing here, though. That's why I was curious as if Lewis changed his usual work-flow for this project. His usual way to construct the model to fit better with the client's mindset, to ease the way for him to participate in the process.

nemofish
09-04-2013, 09:38 PM
Good start.

alexs3d
09-05-2013, 12:19 AM
really nice lewis, great work,

btw. i have been in split this year in holiday :) cause i have read "seagul split" on the boat :)

Lewis
09-05-2013, 12:28 AM
Was it taxing your computer's performance to work while sharing the screen on-line?

Computer, not at all i didn't notice any slowness in computer 'coz of screen capture/Live (but model is 70k+ SubDs so it's not that heavy). Biggest issue was my Internet upload speed (I have 4Mbit down / 0.5 MBit up) so eventually when you share 30" screen resolution you get some delay in video so it happens sometime that I already model somethign and his image is 3,4,5,10 seconds delayed so he say, "Yes yes that's good shape..." and i already pushed/moved polys further than he see it so then i go undo and he sees my previously overdone model so he says "no, no go back..." etc. etc. Funny stuff sometime, sometime nightmareish :). The more it goes the more delay you get so i often had to close/reopen share screen :).

- - - Updated - - -

really nice lewis, great work,

btw. i have been in split this year in holiday :) cause i have read "seagul split" on the boat :)

Hehehe yeah it's constructor from SPLIT.

thanks

Waves of light
09-05-2013, 07:33 AM
I think you've done an excellent job there Lewis to say you didn't have that much to work from. The end results speak for themselves and I've sure the client will be over the moon. Some crazy late night live modeling sessions too.

I've recently started using skype sessions for design work (mainly 2D) and it really is helping to cut down the 'back and forth' changes associated with emails. I think it also helps to show the client the processes involved in getting to the end result, so they can see what hard work goes into their projects. We're waiting on fibre coming to the area, as I too suffer from the weak upload speed and jerky video/screen shares.

kadri
09-05-2013, 10:33 AM
Nice image and interesting work condition Lewis.

otacon
09-05-2013, 10:50 AM
Great stuff. I cant image having a client watching me work like that.

allabulle
09-05-2013, 09:42 PM
Computer, not at all i didn't notice any slowness in computer 'coz of screen capture/Live (but model is 70k+ SubDs so it's not that heavy). Biggest issue was my Internet upload speed (I have 4Mbit down / 0.5 MBit up) so eventually when you share 30" screen resolution you get some delay in video so it happens sometime that I already model somethign and his image is 3,4,5,10 seconds delayed so he say, "Yes yes that's good shape..." and i already pushed/moved polys further than he see it so then i go undo and he sees my previously overdone model so he says "no, no go back..." etc. etc. Funny stuff sometime, sometime nightmareish :). The more it goes the more delay you get so i often had to close/reopen share screen :).

Thanks again for the further explanations. Very interesting indeed.

Oh, and yes, Split is beautiful and their people polite and friendly (to a cultural tourist, at least.)

Nicolas Jordan
09-06-2013, 07:43 PM
Very nice clean looking model Lewis! :thumbsup:

Riff_Masteroff
09-07-2013, 11:57 PM
Good Work and very interesting. Yes, a rusty hulk. Do you know if the engines can be re-used or will the 'new' owner have to provide new ones? Often enough, using the 'tech' of today, your viz could become the blueprints.

desegno
09-28-2013, 10:31 AM
hi lewis, floor isn't good surface - you need a good texture (https://www.google.it/search?q=teak+texture&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:it:official&client=firefox-a&gws_rd=cr&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=it&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=IwRHUsvEDonIswbji4DQBA#hl=it&q=boat+teak+texture&rls=org.mozilla:it%3Aofficial&tbm=isch&um=1)to it