PDA

View Full Version : Sweeping a shape along another shape

DHudson
09-04-2013, 01:15 PM
Hi there,

I am using LW version 9.5 and I was wondering how one would sweep a shape along another shape. In 3ds Max they use the term Sweep, I'm not sure what to call it otherwise. I have a box with radius corners I want to sweep a moulding shape along.

Any suggestions please?
Thank you

hrgiger
09-04-2013, 01:35 PM
well it would very easy to do if you have the plug-in LWCAD using its profiler tool. but if you dont have it, i suppose you could select the ring of points around the radius corners, copy and paste them to a new layer and use them as a basis for your moulding.

DHudson
09-04-2013, 02:35 PM
Ah ... I used to use LWCAD in LW. The tabs for it don't appear on the screen any more in the LW app. I'll have to find out how to get them back.

Thank you for the suggestion!

spherical
09-04-2013, 06:15 PM
Edit > Edit Menu Layout > Main Menu > Right-click > Import Branch.

DHudson
09-04-2013, 09:48 PM
Thank you for your assistance Spherical, I followed what you wrote, I saw that the LWCAD options were under the Menus heading already. If I right click to the Import Branch option I see a window that has these folders; Content, Documentation, ntcodec, Plugins, Programs, and PSFonts.

I guess I am kinda lost at that point.

Kryslin
09-04-2013, 10:02 PM
Once you get there, navigate to the folder where LWCAD is installed, there should be a Menu Branches folder. Select the menu branches (there are three of them) for your version, and import them.

You can rearrange the tabs later to your liking.

DHudson
09-04-2013, 10:40 PM
Thank you for your help Kryslin. Here is what I found... there is a folder called lwcad 2.5 and inside a folder called menu branches, inside that a Win or a Mac folder. Inside the Win folder are 2 files, LWCAD.cfg and LWCADext.cfg.

Nothing with 3 menu branches. Please tell me what do you suggest?

Kryslin
09-04-2013, 11:25 PM
What do I suggest? Upgrade LWCAD, if you can. :) It's up to 4.5 now, you may qualify for a reduced upgrade price.

Anyway, Those two files should be your menu branches. Import them one at a time. Be prepared to dig out your old license code, or go to the LWCAD website and get a license report, because you may have to re-enter it.

JonW
09-05-2013, 12:19 AM
You should be ok with LWCad 2.5 in LW9.5. Look at the install video on the website. I have to look at the website every time there is an upgrade. I also had not upgraded for ages & LWCad worked. But if you do a lot of LWCad work it is very worthwhile upgrading.

DHudson
09-05-2013, 05:48 AM
You guys are great... I really appreciate the help. I'm looking through saved notes now to find the license code needed.
Thank you again :)

Wade
09-05-2013, 03:58 PM
Try RAIL BEVEL http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Prm5LflmgAQ

daforum
09-06-2013, 05:13 AM
Rail Bevel is a great tool. Good recommendation :thumbsup:

DHudson
09-11-2013, 09:06 AM
Rail Bevel looks great, thank you Wade! I've been watching the video and love what it can do.

I have LWCAD installed again. I imported a box shape with the radius corners imported as a vers 8 EPS as a spline Curve, then when I click on Profiler I get the message "No Curves in Primary Layer". Is there a video or help text I can read to remind me how Profiler is used please?

Thank you again,
DHudson

hrgiger
09-11-2013, 09:47 AM
profiler needs to use LWCAD curves. it does not use lw curves or any other types for that matter. can you replicate the curve using LWCADns curve tool?

DHudson
09-11-2013, 11:10 AM
I do not think I can replicate it, if I understand your question correctly. I did add the shape I need swept along my radius cornered box into the 2D lib. I just need to know how to run it around the radius cornered shape.

DHudson
09-11-2013, 11:17 AM
I made my shape with the radius corners from a Poly into a Curve. I clicked on Profiler, hit the letter N to bring up the Numeric Profiler box. I see the shape I want to run around my radius cornered Curve shape, I clicked on the shape in the Profiler box and nothing happens. I do see a really small box appear for a second then disappear. I think its says Continue on it.

Any ideas please?

hrgiger
09-11-2013, 12:45 PM
if this is just a simple box with radius corners you should be able to use LWCAD's snapping to replicate your curve with LWCAD's own curve tool. it would help if you could show a screenshot or post the file itself if you are able.

hrgiger
09-11-2013, 01:58 PM
I made my shape with the radius corners from a Poly into a Curve. I clicked on Profiler, hit the letter N to bring up the Numeric Profiler box. I see the shape I want to run around my radius cornered Curve shape, I clicked on the shape in the Profiler box and nothing happens. I do see a really small box appear for a second then disappear. I think its says Continue on it.

Any ideas please?

You click on the shape to select it. But to actually create the profile you have to then click and drag in the viewport.

prometheus
09-12-2013, 04:46 PM
px_bezier is a free plugin allowing for extending geometry along a bezier curve, you can also save out the curve and reload for extending different geometry.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVK5q2jVUwc

Wade
09-13-2013, 12:32 PM
px_bezier is a free plugin allowing for extending geometry along a bezier curve, you can also save out the curve and reload for extending different geometry.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVK5q2jVUwc

That is truly awesome! I hope this can be found in the plugins on the LW3d site. - goes off to check now..

Yep - https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/contains/PX%20Bezier%20/

jwiede
09-17-2013, 12:44 PM
That said, if there is a reliably reproducible problem with Profiler, please be sure to file a bug on it in FogBugz!