PDA

View Full Version : TEXT "hole" geometry

robcramer
09-04-2013, 08:28 AM
When I build Text with a "hole" A,B,D,O..etc I always get a line linking the from the hole to the outside. I can not get rid line no matter what I do, tired everything in AI, tried boolean cutting in model and still it shows up. The problem is that is messes with the bevel because it screws up the mesh, HELP
thanks RobCRamer

Slartibartfast
09-04-2013, 11:55 AM
Welcome to the forum!

When I build Text with a "hole" A,B,D,O..etc I always get a line linking the from the hole to the outside. I can not get rid line no matter what I do, tired everything in AI, tried boolean cutting in model and still it shows up. The problem is that is messes with the bevel because it screws up the mesh, HELP
thanks RobCRamer

I tested and can't see any problems. That line you see won't show in renders (unless you want it to). Can you give us a screenshot of your problem?

robcramer
09-04-2013, 12:51 PM
With a simple bevel it is no problem, when I round it the problem starts. (fig A-raw,A extrude)I even took the curve out and it still has problems where that line exists(fig Anew) I am trying to load screen shot but no luck, just not my day

robcramer
09-04-2013, 12:56 PM
Here are the screen shots< finally -hopefully they show up. I really appreciate any help w this!

nickdigital
09-04-2013, 01:06 PM
I think Rounder is one of those tools that is hit and miss on good results.

Try this lscript.
https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/jettobevel/

robcramer
09-04-2013, 01:30 PM
Thanks Nick, it was rounder, jettobevel worked with no problem.

BC

Slartibartfast
09-04-2013, 01:38 PM
If you bevel once more with just inset (no shift) and then run rounder on the edge, it will give you a better result. Probably some clean-up is nescessary in some areas around the crossing edge.

edit: didn't see previous post. Glad it worked out for you.

eKalb
09-04-2013, 02:35 PM
I know you got it sorted already, but I think it might also have been useful to move the line to a less complex area. Maybe on the left side of the hole instead of the sharp corner.

JoePoe
09-04-2013, 02:55 PM
I always loves me a good Rounder arguem.... uh, I mean conversation. :)

Rounder is a finicky little monkey. It follows a very specific set of rules and everything has to be just so.
In this case it thinks you want to include the edge on the face in the rounding.
In order to prevent that you need to "interrupt" that edge.
So just knife it, do your Round and then delete the knife points. It should be fine.
(I do agree that putting that edge in a kittle less of an acute area is a good idea)

Of course Jetto is good...I just can't pass up a Rounder topic. Cheeky little devil it is. :devil:

spherical
09-04-2013, 06:07 PM
As noted, those edges that connect to the hole from the perimeter are necessary. This was covered in another thread, here somewhere. For a better geometry rounding tool, there is also Mass Round in LWCAD. Sometimes, even that doesn't do things completely clean but you can select individual edges to apply it to. Other times, you just have to go in and manually weld point pairs on problem corners after the fact until you arrive at the contour you like.

Slartibartfast
09-05-2013, 04:08 AM
I always loves me a good Rounder arguem.... uh, I mean conversation. :)

Rounder is a finicky little monkey. It follows a very specific set of rules and everything has to be just so.
In this case it thinks you want to include the edge on the face in the rounding.
In order to prevent that you need to "interrupt" that edge.
So just knife it, do your Round and then delete the knife points. It should be fine.
(I do agree that putting that edge in a kittle less of an acute area is a good idea)

Of course Jetto is good...I just can't pass up a Rounder topic. Cheeky little devil it is. :devil:

Actually, knifing that edge is a strange but cool way to move it! Try it out and you might be surprised :-)
It sort of takes care of both problems (moving it and splitting it for rounding). You just have to delete the extra Point at the end of the knifecut.:thumbsup:

BeeVee
09-05-2013, 04:48 AM
As spherical explained the lines are necessary because a polygon is a topographical unit. It can't have a hole in the middle, so the line is necessary to remove the hole. To put the line in a different location to make further work easier simply select a point in the "hole side" of the letter (the inside edge of the O for example) and select a point on the outside edge of the letter and hit l to link them, then you can go to edge mode, select the original line linking the inside to the outside and hit delete. Ahhh, I just wrote a quick tutorial on LightWiki (http://lightwiki.com/wiki/Lines_in_letters) instead of posting it all here... :)

B

Dexter2999
09-05-2013, 05:00 AM
"topographical"? I don't throw those college words around "willy nilly". It scares off some people.

I typically explain it like this. Think of all the points on the shape, outside edges and inside edges, like points on a piece of paper. You connect the dots to make the shape. Just like the children's game of "dot-to-dot" or "connect the dots" there is also a point order to make the proper shape. There is a rule to this that you never had before in that the computer can't "pick up the pen" to make a new shape. ALL dots in a shape must be connected. If they aren't, it isn't one shape but two separate shapes. And that is well....."she's a no good."

So, yes, there will always be a line connecting the outer edges of a shape and an inner part of a shape.

ccclarke
09-05-2013, 05:38 AM
A common mistake many artists make until they understand how Rounder works is to try to round everything at once. In this case, apply Rounder to the outside edges, then apply it to the inside edges. For all it's perceived difficulty, Rounder is easy to use -once you understand the rules that govern it. Rounder deserves better documentation in the manual since it's such a useful tool.

CC

spherical
09-06-2013, 09:15 PM
Another way to look at it is, Modeler needs to know where in the surface the hole is. Then length and direction of the required edge gives it that starting point location information.