PDA

View Full Version : Quidam v.3

jaxtone
09-02-2013, 09:29 AM
I bought a license to Quidam v.2 some years ago but today I canīt find the company that were developing and selling this 3D-software anywhere! Where in Gods name did the company behind Quidam end up? Where can I find Quidam version 3?

the n-sided team and their company seems to have been soaked by the ground of the earth! But I would be glad if version 3 of Quidam with a functional serial number were available somewhere above the earths surface :thumbsup:

Jack

3dworks
09-02-2013, 10:15 AM
indeed the company - n-sided - does not exist anymore - a pity, as the program was great and superior to poser on many levels.

the last version was 3.5 for those who upgraded, but this was released in winter 2010.
quidam licensing was quite restrictive, so i don't believe you will find this anywhere...

jaxtone
09-02-2013, 10:39 AM
damn!

prometheus
09-03-2013, 10:41 AM
Yeah..I thought it had some great tools for body scultping, controlling adding cloth and posing etc,But they didnīt provide good enough base models that could compare to daz or poser..but giving tme and effort it could have.
I never bought in to it because of that, and I thought they did poor marketing of it all which had me fearing it wouldnīt survive the compition.
Otherwise many of those deform and weight tools and the speed of it and level control of subpatch export seemed superior to that of daz or poser.

I also tried to get them to provide an exported model that could be evaluated in conjuction with lw export, but they didnīt listened to that.
So Im not surprised if the have shut it down due to poor sales..if that is the case.
It must have been recently they shut down.

Darth Mole
09-03-2013, 11:11 AM
They've been gone several years now! The ability to make a Sub-D cage was ideal for base meshes to take into other apps. Sadly, I no longer have the app or the license.

prometheus
09-03-2013, 11:47 AM
They've been gone several years now! The ability to make a Sub-D cage was ideal for base meshes to take into other apps. Sadly, I no longer have the app or the license.

Several years? I thought last time I checked the site and also updates on the nsided site, it was a couple of months back if Iīm not recalling it wrong.
Last newsletter went out 2010..that is correct, but I recall visiting the site later..but that might of course have been so that the company shut it down at the end of 2010 but had the site up and
running without maintainance quite a while after that.

I recall posting some marketing suggestions to them at 2012, saying that a 30 demo trial is to short and they will loose customer interest with that, and alos they had a screwed up page which was
directing wrong to french pages.

Michael

jaxtone
09-03-2013, 10:42 PM
Hi!

I bought a Quidam license in 2008 and saw some interesting possibilities, but at 2008 LW had too much problems with itself, so I actually put Quidam in the sack and never used it for professional purposes.

At that time all communication with "n-sided" went through "http://www.n-sided.com". A few years later the address to "n-sided" seems to dissappeared without any notice just as links to information, updates or support related stuff. Anyway I tried to find some of the guys behind Quidam to ask whatever happend to a product that just as Prometheus say had potential for development if time had been on their side. Here are some of the team members names and I still donīt understand how a company like this could dissappear without a single trace.

Founders and owners:
Pierre Bretagnolle
Sebastian Berthet

Team members:
Olivier Gardinetti
Emilie Lourdin
Fabrice Sadaune
Olivier Tubach

Marketing & Sales:
Morgan Gautier

3dworks
09-04-2013, 12:46 AM
as far as i heard two reasons stopped n-sided: very few customers (i was one of them, btw) and probably a certain degree of company mismanagement. in the last period, they invested a lot of resources into "argile", a modeling tool based on morphing, painting and sculpting. probably it would have been better to broaden quidams user base - to me it seemed a desperate gesture to save the company with an additional product, which they probably did see as a big hit and it wasn't.

as prometheus mentioned, quidam had a problem not having many base characters as poser or daz and very few props. this was because very few users could only create few asset. also, the company just created a very simple sharing area for this and thought the user base will just arrange with this and create their own world of characters. probably the company could have had addressed this in the beginning phase by promoting quidam with lower prices (getting more users on ship) and by developing more props and characters by their own.

btw the LW plugin did an excellent job to export geometry, textures and rig into modeler and layout and in many ways the clean quads geometry was looking better than from any other comparable program at that time.

see this video for argile: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIj38ShIfcw

cheers

markus

jaxtone
09-04-2013, 12:58 AM
... thereīs no doubt about that Quidam had itīs advantages and could have been a more successful company with more focus on what n-sided actually were good at. I miss the software since I believe both Poser and DAZ are too complicated and shaky.

I just wish I could lay my hands on a copy of Quidams version 3 becuase just as you "3Dworks" I was one of the loyal customers who payed for my license!

tyrot
09-04-2013, 02:12 AM
I also think Quidam was a great software - and i still use it... Made many characters for archviz and other projects. Lightwave support is top notch. Low poly export is superb.

I guess lack of community support caused this unfortunate ending. It had/has great potential still today. Quidam's interface and response is so good. I hope they do resurrect one day..