PDA

View Full Version : Eyeballs and eyestalks

Seeking Buddha
08-30-2013, 12:59 PM
I have a character with eye stalks and I have tried putting eyes lids and stalks on one layer and can't get clean eye movement, I've tried lids and eyes on one layer stalks on another, lids and stalks on one layer eyes on another. I have tried using all sorts of combinations of bones, weight maps, and morphs. Anybody have any ideas on how to handle this. Right now I can either have the eyes move with the stalks, but not have clean movement, or have the eyes have clean movement, but I have to set them on the stalks after I move them. Anybody seen any tutorials that might help with this? or have a solution?

Thank you.:help:

Dexter2999
08-30-2013, 01:08 PM
care to post your model?

I'm guessing here but here goes...
stalks should be modeled
lids probably should be modeled as part of the stalks but with morphs
eyes modeled so as to be in place, but I tend to put them on independent layers so I can easily change focal points or cross the eyes, etc...

in layout eyes are parented to the stalks
they should move with the stalks (you have to rig the stalks)
lids are controlled using morphs and sliders

RebelHill
08-30-2013, 01:17 PM
You mean like the green guy here... http://images.wikia.com/pixar/images/a/ac/Monsters_Inc_Screen_002.png ?

If so then your stalk is just a chain, with the eye control a child at the end, and yep, lids done either via morphs or bones. Anything else, you're gonna have to clarify.

Seeking Buddha
08-30-2013, 02:33 PM
This is what I'm working with. Short stalks are the resting position. I use the extended stalks to show emotion. I've been forcing it with morphs that include the eyes, but it doesn't give me easy results. I can get the eyes to move and the lids to morph if I leave them in place, but once I extend to stalks it doesn't work.

Seeking Buddha
08-30-2013, 02:51 PM
The stalks are part of his body, when I parent the eyes to the body I don't get movement. Do I need to put the stalks on a separate layer than the rest of the body? I have the eyes in a second layer so that I can move them with goal nulls. I'm using morphs on the eyelids and that works well and I can get the eyes to move well with the nulls, but moving his head around and stretching his stalks gives me trouble.

RebelHill
08-30-2013, 02:51 PM
Yeah, ok... Bones is what you're after.

It can be tricksy since for the best effect you'll want to scale the bones to properly extend the mesh (if you're happy to have totally straight stalks then you could just use translation)... The tricky part is the fact that if the eye bones are direct children of the stalk bones, then they'll inherit the scale from their parent, distorting them... as such the technique involves having a "hook" item (like a null or non active bone) at the end of the stalk which the eye structure then constrains to rotationally and positionally, but which is hierarchically independent of the stalks themselves.

Seeking Buddha
08-31-2013, 11:53 AM
First let me thank you for helping me with this, I have been struggling with this for a while. Now let me see if I got this. Instead of using morphs, stretch the bone, but have a middle bone between the extended bone and the eyeball bone. I was able to get my eyes to travel with the morph of the stalk, but the eye bones just sat in the same spot.

I'm going to try that.
Peace

I'm not getting it some how. I turned off the bone between the top of the stalk and the eye ball bone, but still got stretching in the eye as well as the stalk. does it need to be disconnected from the last stalk bone?

Seeking Buddha
09-03-2013, 02:07 PM
Well I think I tried every possible way of morphing and stretching with out success. Finally I just made long stalks and buried them in the body of the character and I just pull them out when I want him to go long. Now I'm going to put each stalk on a different layer so that I can have independent control of each of them. I'm sure there must be some way to do this "correctly", but I'm on a deadline. I'm making a series of animations to help promote a non-profit to restore an old rural hotel as an art center and school and the stalks have put me way behind. Thank you very much for your assistance, it was much appreciated. If your curious our website is www.Ozarts.org Thanks again.

- - - Updated - - -

Well I think I tried every possible way of morphing and stretching with out success. Finally I just made long stalks and buried them in the body of the character and I just pull them out when I want him to go long. Now I'm going to put each stalk on a different layer so that I can have independent control of each of them. I'm sure there must be some way to do this "correctly", but I'm on a deadline. I'm making a series of animations to help promote a non-profit to restore an old rural hotel as an art center and school and the stalks have put me way behind. Thank you very much for your assistance, it was much appreciated. If your curious our website is www.Ozarts.org Thanks again.

RebelHill
09-03-2013, 03:00 PM
You just need to use a stretchy bone for the stalk, but with the eye bone using same as item to follow, and not be a direct child (so no inherited scaling)... the attached is a very rough setup, but demonstrates the principle.