PDA

View Full Version : Any plans for LW on Linux?

Sebasvideo
08-29-2013, 10:27 PM
I'm very new to Lightwave, but has there been any talk about releasing it for Linux? It seems to me that the two desktop platforms we have now are headed towards a mass consumer model and I don't know how much longer we'll have a traditional desktop as opposed to the stupid tiles that are only good if you own a tablet and want to play games, but useless for creative programs. I for one will never buy Windows 8 for that reason, and even if it still has a desktop, it's even uglier than Windows 7. Mac OS X is far better looking, but I don't care to pay for overpriced Apple hardware.

Linux, on the other hand, provides a nice traditional desktop solution, even with Mac OS X font smoothing style, and is faster. But of my main programs, the only one I could use in it is Modo. Without the Adobe suite or Lightwave it wouldn't make sense for me to switch to Linux, but I would in a snap if those two were available and were as stable and fast as they are in Windows. Besides Modo, other creative programs are starting to show Linux versions, like Cinema 4D and I think I read one of the Autodesk programs was ported as well.

Linux also has the same advantage Windows has over Macs, you can build a hell of a machine with the best components and it's going to be faster than a Mac for a fraction of the price. It will also be far more customizable, as the new Mac Pro loses even the poor customization of the grill tower, and no matter how pretty it looks, you will have to pay several thousand dollars for a machine where anything you want to upgrade will be external, perhaps with the exception of RAM. So a machine you can build yourself without even having a computer science degree can give you far more options for far less price. Imagine trying to order a Mac Pro with 128 GB of RAM, the price would be insane. If you want one with 3 or 4 4 terabyte internal drives, you can't (at least it doesn't seem to me like that cylinder can hold more than one hard drive inside).

But the most important thing to me seems to be that Microsoft and Apple care far more about mass consumers rather than creative professionals, and that's a void Linux can easily fill, as long as the companies that make the software creative professionals use are willing to dedicate the resources to port the code to it.

CaptainMarlowe
08-29-2013, 10:57 PM
Right now I don't think that a Linux version is planned, unfortunately. This said, LW worked quite well with Wine, except that installing the dongle was a pain. I have come back to Mac since then, so I don't know if LW11.6 works in Wine and how does the dongleless thing work there.

dwburman
08-30-2013, 04:14 PM
I know people who build their own systems and install MacOS (http://www.hackintosh.com/) on them, and It's possible to make Windows 8 look/behave like Windows 7 (http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/software-and-web-apps/how-to-make-windows-8-look-like-windows-7-50009546/) with a few 3rd party apps, and Windows 8.1 might take a step back from some of the more annoying aspects of the first release.

- - - Updated - - -

I know people who build their own systems and install MacOS (http://www.hackintosh.com/) on them, and It's possible to make Windows 8 look/behave like Windows 7 (http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/software-and-web-apps/how-to-make-windows-8-look-like-windows-7-50009546/) with a few 3rd party apps, and Windows 8.1 might take a step back from some of the more annoying aspects of the first release.

Sebasvideo
08-30-2013, 04:21 PM
Yeah, you can build a Hackintosh, but it's a nightmare to get all the proper drivers and stuff to make it work properly, and even then, it crashes more than a Mac, even if you build the best PC with all certified compatible components. I tried that years ago on more than one occasion and it was unstable, drivers were incomplete and setting it up was frustrating. Needless to say, the same PC worked perfectly fine with Windows and it does to this day, even if I don't use it that much anymore.

dwburman
08-30-2013, 04:30 PM
[double post]

It sounds like a pain. I haven't tried it myself. I do know someone who has a motion graphics company and they build them and use them in production, so I guess they figured some stuff out.

As to the original question... I haven't heard of any plans to port LightWave to linux, but I don't have any special knowledge. There was a linux version of the network rendering app (lwsn) for LightWave back in LW8, but I guess most people who use linux machines to render LightWave use Wine. This topic comes up every once in a while on the forums here.

pinkmouse
08-30-2013, 04:33 PM
Years ago, maybe. I have two Hacks up and running, one running my HT setup, and the other as my general workstation. Both very stable, and simple to set up. In fact, setting up the dual boot and installing Win7 on the workstation was the most troublesome job yet.