PDA

View Full Version : Instance Generator: "Look At" Target Mode Crashes Layout.

dwalker_88
08-29-2013, 11:34 AM
Hello everyone,

I'm having issues with the Instance Generator and the "Look At" Target Mode.

I have particles being spun round in a circular motion by a Wind Effector and an object linked to particles via the Instance Generator. I can see the result I am looking for in Open GL when I select the Look At Target mode and I can even play the timeline without a problem. The moment I try and render a frame however, Layout instantly crashes, that's rendering with F9 and VPR.

All I'm trying to do is get the instances to align to a circle so the objects don't all face forward, is there any other way to do this or is there something I'm missing with the Target Mode option?

Has anyone else had this issue?

Some help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I've tried this on 11.5.1 on a PC (Win 7) and 11.6 on MAC.

jwiede
08-29-2013, 02:31 PM
It'd probably be helpful if you posted an example scene of the problem, so people can examine your settings, etc.

dwalker_88
08-29-2013, 03:52 PM
It'd probably be helpful if you posted an example scene of the problem, so people can examine your settings, etc.

Good thinking, jwiede.

Here is a stripped down version of the scene.

Again, many thanks in advance.

BokadCastle
08-29-2013, 06:34 PM
Your problem is with the Wind Effector.

I reproduced your scene by starting with a blank scene and set the camera view to VPR.
Then go File > File load > Load items from a scene (yours).

It was the wind items that caused the crash message (you have 2, see attached)

Solution: delete wind, start with new wind effector. Easy, quick.

re: the heading, you might try 'Random'

dwalker_88
08-30-2013, 03:23 AM
Hi BokadCastle,

Thanks for taking a look.

I've reloaded the scene and recreated the Wind Effector like you suggested but it's still crashing out on an F9, VPR, however, is now rendering the scene without crashing. Did you try an F9 render as well as switching on VPR?

dwalker_88
08-30-2013, 08:08 AM
It appears that having the instance target item option selected and blur motion turned on is causing the scene to crash. If I turn off motion blur but leave the target item option selected the scene will render without a problem.

BokadCastle
08-30-2013, 04:40 PM
Hi BokadCastle,

Did you try an F9 render as well as switching on VPR?

Yep!

BokadCastle
08-30-2013, 04:48 PM
No, motion blur didn't crash my scene - on or off.

Maybe try a new scene and try 'load objects from scene'. (except wind...create that new).

bazsa73
08-30-2013, 05:05 PM
I would report this to the developers maybe.

dwalker_88
08-31-2013, 08:28 AM
BokadCastle - I see you're using "Classic" MB, that option works fine for me too, it's the "Photoreal" option that seems to be the culprit.

I've tried stripping the wind out of the scene but it still crashes (if I have MB set to "Photoreal") "Classic" or "Dither" work without issue.

It's not a problem but I'll have to do without "Photoreal" MB. Thanks for your help.

bazsa73 - is it best to email the developers via the contact form here: https://www.lightwave3d.com/contact/tech_support/ ?