PDA

View Full Version : Reflection blur rendering faster in 11.5 vs 10.x ?

Nicolas Jordan
08-29-2013, 08:57 AM
I recently decided to use the standard reflection blur found under the Environment tab in a rendering. I never used to use it much because it really bogged down rendering. It now seems to render very fast in 11.5 compared to the 10.x and 9.x series. When I render in Modo I use reflection blur all the time because it renders fast and now it seems I can do the same in Lightwave without having to worry much about long render times! :)

Is reflection blur faster because of the new unified sampling? :stumped:

Danner
08-29-2013, 10:43 AM
The shading samples default to 1 on 11.5+ The default used to be higher I beleive. But reflection bluring did get a revision at one point, because it does seem to render faster and definitely looks better than before.

Nicolas Jordan
08-29-2013, 10:49 AM
I cranked up the shading samples to 8 and it still renders really fast compared to before.

Andy Webb
08-29-2013, 10:58 AM
I noticed this too. I have been using it much more lately because of the speed up.

MSherak
08-29-2013, 11:35 AM
Is reflection blur faster because of the new unified sampling? :stumped:

Yup... Still could be improved on sampling spread levels when going through AA but 99% better than it was on 10.x and below.. On the average I usually use the range of 4-12%... Course you could nodal it and produce some great results also and just plug it into the refection channel.

-M

Sensei
08-29-2013, 11:37 AM
v10.x has no unified sampling.
So what do you expect?

Old refection blur is sending multiple ray-tracing calls per single spot. Then the next bounce, it's repeating again, and again. Until reaching Ray Recursion Limit.

Remember that you can enable cache in reflection/refraction node.

Nicolas Jordan
08-29-2013, 01:47 PM
Just curious what's the best way to set up a subtle reflection blur on a surface like plastic using nodes?

I tried the Reflection node but it seems to automatically cause a strong reflection with only the ability to control the amount of blur.

jasonwestmas
08-29-2013, 06:27 PM
Just curious what's the best way to set up a subtle reflection blur on a surface like plastic using nodes?

I tried the Reflection node but it seems to automatically cause a strong reflection with only the ability to control the amount of blur.

put a scale node into the green reflection slot with a value of 2 or 3 or just turn down the reflection in the classic editor. Yes, I know it's wierd how the reflection shading slot doesn't handle reflection amount.

Using a fresnel gradient helps realism control the reflection amount helps too.

Nicolas Jordan
08-29-2013, 06:58 PM
put a scale node into the green reflection slot with a value of 2 or 3 or just turn down the reflection in the classic editor. Yes, I know it's wierd how the reflection shading slot doesn't handle reflection amount.

Using a fresnel gradient helps realism control the reflection amount helps too.

Thanks for the help Jason that seems to work nicely. :thumbsup:

raw-m
08-30-2013, 01:30 AM
I've always avoided it until recently, as well, so really happy it's now a lot quicker.

I cant remember the full technical description (and i cant find it either!) but there's a node setup that can be used that cuts the reflection blur after one ray bounce. Would be interested to hear if its needed anymore or if its quick enough now without it. Anyone tried?

Sensei
08-30-2013, 01:32 AM
I've always avoided it until recently, as well, so really happy it's now a lot quicker.

I cant remember the full technical description (and i cant find it either!) but there's a node setup that can be used that cuts the reflection blur after one ray bounce. Would be interested to hear if its needed anymore or if its quick enough now without it. Anyone tried?

I showed how to do it in mine video tutorials
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjvUxRnNcak
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP425jM1oGM