PDA

View Full Version : Installation question when going from 9.6 to the 11.5 update!

jaxtone
08-29-2013, 07:35 AM
Hi guys!

I just ordered an update from 9.6 to 11.5 and wonder if I am supposed to delete version 9.6 before I install the new version. I also wonder what I am going to do with the old USB dongle that has been a companion for many years now?

Regards
Jack

jasonwestmas
08-29-2013, 07:44 AM
11.5 is a full install and creates its own folders so they don't effect other LW installations. Just make sure that you don't open up a different version of LW with the original hub still running. (it takes a few seconds for the hub to shut down) That can screw up your configs.

jaxtone
08-29-2013, 07:52 AM
Ok! Thanks! But if I chose to uninstall my old version of LW 9.6 first it wonīt lead to any problems when LW 11.5 screams for an old version... just thinking of the old days when you mostly had to install every update on top of earlier versions!

Regards
Jack

jasonwestmas
08-29-2013, 07:59 AM
Ok! Thanks! But if I chose to uninstall my old version of LW 9.6 first it wonīt lead to any problems when LW 11.5 screams for an old version... just thinking of the old days when you mostly had to install every update on top of earlier versions!

Regards
Jack

nah, NT stopped doing that update a,b,c,d,e thing after LW8.x. Everything is now a full install.

jaxtone
08-29-2013, 08:10 AM
Wow. Suddenly I felt very old :)

Jack

spherical
08-29-2013, 02:25 PM
I would strongly recommend not uninstalling 9.6x.

11.x is significantly different. It'll take some time to get to know it.

9.6x scenes that you have can then be rendered without change. If you move a 9.6x scene into 11, you'll have to change quite a bit of settings and even then many of the renders won't look the same. So, if you need to re-render something created in 9.6x and have it match, keep the earlier version around. Way less work and headaches. Only takes an extra bit of disk space.

Heck, I have versions concurrently installed all the way back to 8.x. Not each and every point release but kept the latest ones in the series that are just prior to a major change in how the versions work. Just have to mind where the configs are stored in the older versions and, as Jason mentioned, exit the Hub when switching versions.

jaxtone
08-30-2013, 12:33 AM
Well, now itīs all gone anyway! I might have reacted a little too fast :)

Jack

Greenlaw
08-30-2013, 12:53 AM
Yes, keep 9.6 online, especially if you have projects you want to revisit. Scenes may look different in later versions of LightWave and you might find that some of your favorite plug-ins no longer work.

I didn't keep 9.6 available but I still have 10.1 online for 'just in case' situations. For example, when I re-rendered Happy Box in HD last year I had to go back to 10.1 because the 'look' of the scenes in 11.x was drastically different--it was just easier to render in 10.1 than to try and re-light the scenes in 11.x.

You'll want to keep you dongle handy. At our home studio and on my mobile computer, I use the dongle-free license, but I use my dongle when I'm working on an off-site computer and I don't want to activate my dongle-free license on somebody else's computer.

G.

jaxtone
08-30-2013, 01:45 AM
Too late, itīs in the sink and I just donīt know if I am gonna reinstall before I notice any drastic differences! But thanks anyway guys!
Jack

Matt
08-30-2013, 02:45 AM
Too late, itīs in the sink and I just donīt know if I am gonna reinstall before I notice any drastic differences! But thanks anyway guys!
Jack

You should be able to get to any previous installers in your account on LightWave3D.com (https://www.lightwave3d.com/account/) if you registered them on the previous (and no longer used for LightWave registrations) reg.newtek.com

Cheers
Matt

Greenlaw
08-30-2013, 08:59 AM
I wouldn't be concerned about it unless the need to regress comes up. In my case, I haven't had to regress to an earlier version since the time we rendered the HD version of Happy Box and that was a year ago. Lately, I've been working mainly in the 11.6 public beta and haven't had to jump back yet. Naturally I'm keeping the most recent official releases (mainly 11.5 and 11.5.1) online, just in case.