PDA

View Full Version : Trying to learn Genoma, one layer or several?

Sebasvideo
08-27-2013, 10:52 AM
I would like to start learning Genoma in LW 11.6 and the object I would like to rig and animate is a Cylon Centurion I found online. Now, this model is strange because if you open the original OBJ in LW or Modo it opens as one layer, but in Blender it opens as separate layers, one for each part of the body. Then if I export it as an OBJ from Blender, in Lightwave it still opens as one layer but in Modo it opens as separate layers. So then if I save it in Modo as an LWO, it opens in Lightwave with all the separate layers.

So as it stands, I have two choices, to start learning with the model as one layer, or as separate layers, and I would like to start with the best option so I don't find out later that I worked on one that's useless. So which option is the best, one layer or separate layers for each part of the body?

Spinland
08-27-2013, 10:57 AM
For Genoma everything has to be on one layer, including the Genoma rig. My normal practice is to have the entire model on one background layer, and the rig in the foreground layer while I'm working on it. Then cut and past the rig into the model layer and save before sending to Layout.

RebelHill
08-27-2013, 11:00 AM
Genoma will only generate a rig with a single object/layer loaded in layout (which obv has to contain the genoma bones)... but that doesnt mean you cant still use a multi layered object if you wanna do the ol parent bits off to controls rather than weight everything. Personally, I prefer the weight method as it keeps everything together, but whatever works for u is fine.

Sebasvideo
08-27-2013, 11:18 AM
So one layer it is. Thanks for your replies.