PDA

View Full Version : New (possible) video: 3D Math

ConjureBunny
08-27-2013, 10:29 AM
Hi,

One topic I struggled with a lot in 3D programming was all the damned math.
And I find myself struggling with it in Python and LScript and Unity, when I need to script something that does a thing in 3D space.

It seemed like I went through a year where about once a week I'd need to understand how to properly rotate this or that so there wasn't a gimbal lock. Or I'd need to figure out how to tell if one player was facing another, or facing away, or how far to rotate them so they would face each other. How does a figure walking on an uneven terrain keep generally upright, but track the ground, while chasing something that moves through the air? How do you make aliens crawl along the walls and ceilings while they chase a person running down the hall?

Fun times.

But it turns out this stuff is really easy once you wrap your head around a handful of math concepts. 

So I'm curious--is this actually interesting to anyone else?

Would a video explaining all of this actually be useful?

Thank you,
-Chilton

JoePoe
08-27-2013, 10:35 AM
You bet!! :thumbsup:

It's about time I wrap my head around a couple of math concepts. :)

VonBon
08-27-2013, 12:53 PM
But it turns out this stuff is really easy once you wrap your head around a handful of math concepts.

-Chilton

:lol:.............:ohmy: you funny.
I'd probly have a Brain Attack tryn to figure out some of this "Easy Math" you speak of.

but I would be interested in tutorials on the subject.

probiner
08-27-2013, 02:09 PM
Reference: http://www.fxphd.com/fxphd/movieBox.php?course=MTH201

eV1Te
08-27-2013, 03:20 PM
Definitely interesting, math is something I have slowly forgotten since I took the exam during the first years of my masters. :thumbsup:

xchrisx
08-27-2013, 06:41 PM
I think a video could be extremely helpful to grasp the concepts.

GoatDude
08-27-2013, 08:17 PM
+1

BokadCastle
08-27-2013, 09:17 PM
Yep

LW_Will
08-27-2013, 09:38 PM
Agreed

Silkrooster
08-27-2013, 10:55 PM
I believe there is a book on 3d math on amazon.

ConjureBunny
08-27-2013, 11:58 PM
I'm pretty sure there's more than one awesome 3D math book out there. I just can't stand reading, these days. I blame TV, video games, and the Internet.

-Chilton

saranine
08-28-2013, 12:03 AM
3D maths...I might have to pick up my Hunt uni maths textbook that has gathered dust since 2004...:)

ConjureBunny
08-29-2013, 08:59 AM
Alright, it sounds like this would be helpful, so I'll get to it.

Plus, I'd have them to look back on next week when I've forgotten all of it again :)

-Chilton

hrgiger
08-29-2013, 06:58 PM
In the meantime, here is a site I bookmarked a while ago: http://chortle.ccsu.edu/vectorlessons/vectorIndex.html#00

machbeowulf
08-29-2013, 10:00 PM
Would definitely help me out -- this has been an area of real struggle for me ! +1

Matt
08-30-2013, 02:48 AM
Funnily enough, I've just been doing some scripting that had me banging my head over the math dealing with rotations in 3D. So yes please Chilton!

Ryan Roye
08-30-2013, 06:42 AM
I think the math I learned in school didn't really demonstrate well the applications it has in the "real world" (well, the 3d world I should say). There's a bunch of wrenches that get thrown into the mix as well.

I would thoroughly enjoy a video on the subject and I imagine it would be really useful paired with expressions and relativity... but the content needs to be done right. It must be as straightforward and concise as possible without leaving out critical details. Leave out as much of the fluff as possible and just focus on the core content.

I already use math in a small part of my character animation workflow, but I would not mind at all having a means to expand on what I know to achieve things that would otherwise be impossible. It is remarkable just how much territory there is to cover with 3d animation (let alone making model-based programs)... insane!

probiner
08-30-2013, 06:50 AM
Funnily enough, I've just been doing some scripting that had me banging my head over the math dealing with rotations in 3D. So yes please Chilton!

Matrices do that to a man :(

hhnguyen
08-30-2013, 07:35 AM
I hope this will be painless math...I'm all for it.

Matt
08-30-2013, 06:35 PM
Matrices do that to a man :(

Oh this wasn't even matrices!

I think I'll post the functions I wrote. Have ones for finding the angle between 2 items (for X Y Z and XYZ). Finding distances, placing items around a circle etc.

RebelHill
08-30-2013, 06:37 PM
I think I'll post the functions I wrote. Have ones for finding the angle between 2 items (for X Y Z and XYZ). Finding distances

You do know those are already built into LS right?

Matt
08-31-2013, 05:11 AM
You do know those are already built into LS right?

Yes, angle() and rotate3d(). But rotate3d() only gives you the vector to position, not to rotate.

RebelHill
08-31-2013, 07:57 AM
rotate3d() only gives you the vector to position, not to rotate.

Not sure exactly what you mean there... You have to input a rotation to transform one position to another in the first place, so obv you're not after getting it to tell you what rotation makes it go from point A to B. You've lost me.

VonBon
09-03-2013, 10:24 AM
Maybe he means that [Rotate3d] only returns the value of the point in space
instead of returning the value of the actual "rotational values used" to get to
that point in space?