PDA

View Full Version : dynamic line (2point poly) connecting entities in layout

spigolo
08-26-2013, 10:16 AM
Hello,
just a question, I'm doing a motion graphic work jumping between Lw and after effects..
I need to have some spheres connected by 2d lines (2points poly) The problem is that the spheres must move around and the lines need to be stretched in order to keep
is connection between the 2 spheres.
Do you imagine any techniques?
I know i can parent the line to a sphere and target it to the other, but the stretching? How con I do it dinamically?

The reverse solution is to use a script in after effects that draws lines between layers (i can export the null positions..)
but I would like to have everything in 3d (also I need a depth buffer for DOP effects..)

Thx

RebelHill
08-26-2013, 10:37 AM
You can use IK scaling to stretch the thing, either directly on the object itself, or via a bone. However... there was a thread the other day about someone having trouble sending to AE thigns with scaling aniamtion, so it may not be doable.. couldnt tell u for sure, worth a dig around.

probiner
08-26-2013, 10:38 AM
from the top of my head.

Make a weight map where only on vertex is selected.
Dpont's point info world position, the weight and it's inverse to filter the 2 vertices at turn and set they position either to a null each or another Dpon't point info and weight to to filter out one point on each sphere and set the 2pp to them.

Cheers

Edit: yeah what RH said :D

nickdigital
08-26-2013, 10:42 AM
If you choose to go the AE route this would be the plugin to look into.
http://aescripts.com/plexus/

xchrisx
08-26-2013, 11:00 AM
I dont really know all of your requirements, but if it just needs to have 2 spheres connected by a line here is one solution.

Files: 116613

I made 2 spheres in modeler and connected them by a 2 point polygon. Then I set one ball and one point of the line to 100% in a weightmap called Ball01. Then I set the other ball and the other point of the line to 100% weightmap called Ball02. I put a skelegon in each ball (named accordingly) and set their weightmaps to Ball01 and Ball02.

In layout, I brought the model in and converted skelegons to bones. At this point you can grab the newly created bones and each ball will move around separately and the line will stay connected. You can skip the skelegon step and do bones instead if that makes it easier, but it should produce the same result.

Hope that helps,
Chris

spigolo
08-26-2013, 11:18 PM
Thanks to everybody, lots of interesting suggestions..
Xchrisx I think I will go your way it's very interesting and simple even if now I have to change all my setup..:-(
I don't use kinematics too much the solution was very simple..my fault!

Nickdigital, I'm using connectlayers from the people who made newton..it's free and works well

giovanni