PDA

View Full Version : Does LW have a render frame limit before it gets buggy?

Ty Catt
08-26-2013, 07:40 AM
This might sound nuts but...

Anytime I render near 3000 frames in an animation I have created as an AVI with full frames, the file is corrupted and cannot be played back.

Never seen that before. I actually remade the whole animation again (had to tweak anyhow), but same results.

This time the render played back out of order, with the screen kinda rearranged and shifted like a pulse-cross on an NTSC monitor (right edge of anim on left edge os screen, top moved to bottom).

I can't remember ever going over 3000 in my past, thought I had before, but can't be sure.

I didn't render out as seperate RGB files yet, but I will eventually. I'm just doing some tests right now.

Anyone ever had this happen to them?

Thanks,

nickdigital
08-26-2013, 07:57 AM
I'd say render to frames then see if those frames gave issue. Maybe the avi process is having issues.

Render that many frames directly to a movie file is a gamble imho. What happens if you have a crash or power outage on frame 2999? You gotta start all over.

Ty Catt
08-26-2013, 08:38 AM
Oh I know! I render out to RGB files, too. Too many hot Cleveland summers and rolling blackouts to not already do that!

I just like making test renders for clients overnight, that's all, and sometimes I don't have time to string RGB files together.

I just wanted to be sure that this issue wasn't indicative of a stronger (and possibly problematic) underlying issue.

Thanks!

Lightwolf
08-26-2013, 09:16 AM
Depending on how they're written, AVIs have a 2GB file size limit - and that may come into play here.

As a last resort, you could try loading it into VirtualDub and re-export if from there (no need to process the frame, just write a new AVI) to get it fixed. It _may_ work.

Cheers,
Mike

nickdigital
08-26-2013, 09:39 AM
As a way to investigate what's going on, you could render out an avi but just around the frames that are having problems. This would tell you if the problem is with your content or perhaps with the avi.

Ty Catt
08-26-2013, 12:18 PM
Looks like it's the 2.0G limit! Argh!

I can't believe I've never hit that limit before! Lucky I guess!

Thanks for the tip(s) my friends.

Tyler