PDA

View Full Version : Autodesk May Be Next to Offer Rental Model ( New business model in October)

robertoortiz
08-23-2013, 11:09 AM
Autodesk will detail in October an "evolution" of its business model that includes more options to rent its software, rather than buying it, CEO Carl Bass said in an earnings conference call

Quote:
Bass said that Adobe's success made Autodesk more confident about the feasibility of rental pricing, but suggested that Autodesk's move wouldn't be quite as aggressive.
http://www.studiodaily.com/2013/08/autodesk-may-be-next-to-offer-rental-model/

realgray
08-23-2013, 04:34 PM
I will be watching this closely.

hrgiger
08-23-2013, 04:41 PM
Its a good move. I'm skeptical though that they will offer a reasonable price structure.

Ryan Roye
08-23-2013, 04:56 PM
Makes me that much more glad I went with Lightwave in the first place. Has all the tools an animator could ever ask for and people buy upgrades and licenses based on the quality of the product rather than obligation.

Surrealist.
08-23-2013, 05:10 PM
From my opinion this is good news for LightWave users who want to add more animation and 3D tools to their arsenal. More tools is a good thing. For me LightWave as an animation tool is not nearly enough. Not everyone is going to agree on this point. But I am completely happy with the tools I use and would have only wished I could have done a rental plan earlier. Hopefully I will have enough info to make a decision before my subscription is due next year.

A word of caution though, last time a 3D app (XSI) with great animation tools was offered at a great price many LightWaver's jumped on it. Some of them have never come back.

So the competition stiffens. They really really need to address native animation capabilities in LightWave. It is ancient, to be polite.

realgray
08-23-2013, 05:15 PM
Makes me that much more glad I went with Lightwave in the first place. Has all the tools an animator could ever ask for and people buy upgrades and licenses based on the quality of the product rather than obligation.

Could ever ask for is maybe pushing it a little. This new pricing model could be a cheaper way to get at tech like Vray/rayfire etc. But we'll find out in October.

JonW
08-23-2013, 06:05 PM
I am glad I got into LW.

I use LW for architectural renders, & with LWCad it works really well in most aspects. But LW Modeler does need fixing up plus a few other things to make LW a really good architectural platform.

Hopefully this will give Newtek an incentive to polish LW & then draw in a new diehard customer base.

Megalodon2.0
08-23-2013, 06:28 PM
As long as it is an OPTION, then I see it as a good thing.

Choice is better than forcing users into a one-size-fits-all approach where you can't "own" the software.

I agree with Surrealist that it would give LW users (and others) access to these tools. Of course... it does depend on how AD implements this new "business plan."

jasonwestmas
08-23-2013, 09:59 PM
I like using lightwave with autodesk tools and NT has made this easier over the years. I chose a while ago not to think of brand names as a means to separate software because the programs can actually talk to eachother in many ways now. So more power to anyone who wants it if the price is right.

JohnMarchant
08-24-2013, 04:49 AM
Its for them probably a logical idea, i do however think that they will eventually go down the Adobe route and looking at their past i don't think it will be cheap.

Im not against the renting as opposed to owning the software, im against a monthly subscription idea. This is always going to be about money especially for AD, they have to tie up their products or merge them and that is going to cost allot in R&D.

erikals
08-24-2013, 05:35 AM
this is good, as long as it is an option.

hope the subscription for 1 month only will be reasonable.

great if you want to convert some stuff, or open a client's project, or use a special feature / a special plugin.

JohnMarchant
08-24-2013, 06:38 AM
Good and valid point erikals, so assume there may be some problems with that.

- - - Updated - - -

I think they will dip their toes in the Adobe water and see how it flys. Problem for them is allot of their stuff does similar things so im wondering if this is the beginning of then end for at least 2 of their titles.

Surrealist.
08-24-2013, 07:52 AM
On the surface they are similar. But there is a vast difference between them. Softimage has ICE and Face Robot as well as a unique workflow that is completely different from Maya. So there is an advantage to having Softimage in the tool box even if you use Maya primarily.

And there is a user base that supports and believes most religiously in the difference between them. Same could probably be said for Max though I don't use it. So I can not compare.

I won't pretend to know what there thinking is. But I do know there is a very entrenched and divided user base that is loyal to each app. That is not going to change. I would hope though that this kind of model would get Softimage users to consider branching out more and likewise enable Maya users to have access to Softimage when they would not otherwise consider it. I think it would be a good move in a lot of ways and hopefully help to break down some of the walls of software evangelism and ignorance and get people working with these apps and working with each other more rather than engaging in pissing fights over which app is better or which one is the teacher's pet and how app X is being neglected in the corner. Because I already made a decision not to be a "software loyalist" I am OK. But it would be interesting if they could offer me something more attractive than what I have now. Access to MAX and Iray perhaps? (not straight forward in Maya and I think you have to have a standalone Mental Ray to turn in on). Or other? Not sure now. Will be interesting to see what is cooking. Another advantage is having the ability to interface more directly as a freelancer with more jobs. Having the ability to port things directly over to Max for instance and deliver in that format might be a plus in certain situations. Access to CAD programs perhaps? This could get interesting.

stobbs
08-24-2013, 08:39 AM
This could be really good for people in education/ training - being able to get commercial autodesk products by the month for freelance jobs just when needed instead of trying to find the money for regular full versions. How much would maya and motionbuilder cost to buy outright *blood runs cold....*

JohnMarchant
08-24-2013, 09:19 AM
On the surface they are similar. But there is a vast difference between them. Softimage has ICE and Face Robot as well as a unique workflow that is completely different from Maya. So there is an advantage to having Softimage in the tool box even if you use Maya primarily.

And there is a user base that supports and believes most religiously in the difference between them. Same could probably be said for Max though I don't use it. So I can not compare.

I won't pretend to know what there thinking is. But I do know there is a very entrenched and divided user base that is loyal to each app. That is not going to change. I would hope though that this kind of model would get Softimage users to consider branching out more and likewise enable Maya users to have access to Softimage when they would not otherwise consider it. I think it would be a good move in a lot of ways and hopefully help to break down some of the walls of software evangelism and ignorance and get people working with these apps and working with each other more rather than engaging in pissing fights over which app is better or which one is the teacher's pet and how app X is being neglected in the corner. Because I already made a decision not to be a "software loyalist" I am OK. But it would be interesting if they could offer me something more attractive than what I have now. Access to MAX and Iray perhaps? (not straight forward in Maya and I think you have to have a standalone Mental Ray to turn in on). Or other? Not sure now. Will be interesting to see what is cooking. Another advantage is having the ability to interface more directly as a freelancer with more jobs. Having the ability to port things directly over to Max for instance and deliver in that format might be a plus in certain situations. Access to CAD programs perhaps? This could get interesting.

Yes they are different underneath but its a bad business model to have so many packages doing similar things. I expect to see some things merged from on to the other and finally at a later date at least 2 will be dropped. You need more time,money and programmers to look after such a stable as AD has and as long as you do it properly you can manage a transition to a smaller stable with products defined to different areas.

Im sure this will happen, indeed at a smaller scale they have already said it will happen and it makes sense. As for the AD Cloud, i have nothing against renting software i still have a problem with a monthly subscription and how they can say about the "Success" of Adobe is a bit beyond me looking at the amount of complaints about Adobe Cloud and people trying to cancel their subscriptions. I also believe the price for Adobe CS which is already 50 per month in UK, will go up. Probably not for a year or so but eventually it will.

Lightwolf
08-24-2013, 09:23 AM
It certainly makes sense as an option for studios that ramp their workforce up for shows... and down again after that.
Eyeon has had a rental model as an option for quite some time as well.

Cheers,
Mike

erikals
08-24-2013, 09:25 AM
so, maybe $200 for renting an AutoDesk product per month... we'll see...

cresshead
08-24-2013, 12:15 PM
so, the Adobe master collection used to sell for around 3000 give or take a few pounds.
3dsmax, maya and softimage are "around" 3000

1. adobe cloud yearly fee fore the master collection for rental works out at 49 per month or 576 per year.
2. 3dsmax subscription currently for a year is 516 if you have already spent 3000 on buying the software.
3. houdini FX is 3000 to buy or rent it for 1284 ($2000) a month (eeek!)

so where will Autodesk pitch their pricing?
if they keep subscription and ADD rental then rental should be more expensive than subs as you have no requirement to BUY the app?
a ball park guess?
100 a month for one of their 3d apps like Maya, Max or softimage (based on a 12 month contract)
200 a month for a suite? (based on a 12 month contract)

although looking at houdini..they could be MUCH more.

looking here:
http://www.autodesk.com/products/inventor-lt-family/buy

their $1500 to buy app is $95 per month

maya is $3600 to buy or about double the price...so i good guess is that maya will be for example $200 a month rental.

jasonwestmas
08-24-2013, 12:33 PM
There will be advantages and disadvantages to all payment plans of course. The cheapest route to rule them all will no doubt not be adequate for some work environments/ Projects types.

cresshead
08-26-2013, 06:18 AM
well if $99 a month turns out to be true i'll dump subscription for 3dsmax in a heart beat!

here's the thing to consider...if i miss out on subscription for longer than a year...to get back on subscription i have to pay 70% the full retail value of 3dsmax (rrp 3600) to get back on the train so to speak...if you make rental $99 then there's no requirement for subscription for me and the threat of 70% to jump back on disapears...rental gives me lower cost and more freedom to choose.

the whole idea of buying a license and subscription will be totally unpalatable at that point.
Autodesk lose their 70% fine threat to keep you on subscription.

what's the competition doing?

you can rent Houdini for $2000 a month....yeh that's right TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS a month.
the whole idea of autodesk doing Maya rental at $99 a month seems to be a fantasy when you look at that.

rumour has it that Autodesk rental will be $400 a month and will probably be only for a entertainment suite, which could be
Maya+ Motion Builder + Mudbox or looking at Nuke rental below...could actually be for just Maya.

also you can rent Nuke for 960 per 3 months which is 320 a month for an app that retails at 2998.80 inc vat
http://www.thefoundry.co.uk/cart/item.php?product_id=900&buy_or_rent=rent

yeh i'd love to see the $99 a month for maya but being realistic and looking around at what's happening in the actual marketplace it simply doesn't add up. I hope i'm wrong though eh!

erikals
08-26-2013, 06:35 AM
you can rent Houdini for $2000 a month....yeah that's right, TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS a month....

rumor has it that Autodesk rental will be $400 a month and will probably be only for a entertainment suite, which could be
Maya+ Motion Builder + Mudbox or looking at Nuke rental below...could actually be for just Maya.

also you can rent Nuke for 960 per 3 months which is 320 a month for an app that retails at 2998.80 inc vat
http://www.thefoundry.co.uk/cart/item.php?product_id=900&buy_or_rent=rent

yeah, it might get pricey...

Houdini for $2000 a month... WTF... :O

Serling
08-26-2013, 06:52 AM
yeah, it might get pricey...

Houdini for $2000 a month... WTF... :O

I don't think they're marketing it for one-man bands and mom & pop shops.

Lightwolf
08-26-2013, 07:02 AM
I don't think they're marketing it for one-man bands and mom & pop shops.
True. They market it for those shops that can barely make a profit and then let go of people by the dozen (if they don't close shop completely).

And yes, I do actually agree but still: SCNR ;)

Cheers,
Mike

JohnMarchant
08-26-2013, 12:05 PM
Houdini Apprentice at $99 a year is good. Its a steal if you want to learn this powerful package.

Im happy with LW and as an amateur in wont be paying $2000 a month or year.

Ernest
08-27-2013, 12:47 AM
if they keep subscription and ADD rental then rental should be more expensive than subs as you have no requirement to BUY the app?

Not really. Paying for rent should always be cheaper than paying a mortgage, even if you don't have to make a down-payment. The fact that people don't have to pay the initial $3K is really a drop in the bucket for the company in the long term, if you consider that those who move to the rental model no longer have the option of dropping their subs and that the company no longer needs to invest to create any compelling new features every year for enticing people to continue paying. At least initially, the price should be surprisingly low, to get as many users as possible to switch.

Megalodon2.0
08-27-2013, 01:26 AM
Not really. Paying for rent should always be cheaper than paying a mortgage, even if you don't have to make a down-payment. The fact that people don't have to pay the initial $3K is really a drop in the bucket for the company in the long term, if you consider that those who move to the rental model no longer have the option of dropping their subs and that the company no longer needs to invest to create any compelling new features every year for enticing people to continue paying. At least initially, the price should be surprisingly low, to get as many users as possible to switch.

Plus... at the end of your rental you have NOTHING. So if you want to open/edit your files you will need to rent OR buy. As long as they keep BOTH options, it should benefit many. Adobe has made the mistake of making it a MANDATORY rental. I believe that this will bite them big time and hopefully AD (and others) will NOT follow that trajectory.

cresshead
08-27-2013, 11:43 AM
Maya LT now available on the autodesk store for $775 and soon the be available for rental at $50 a month , $125 per quarter or $400 a year

What exactly do you give up for that savings? Well, here is where things get a bit tricky.

Does not support external renderers; cannot render 'scenes' or animations
No MEL support, and currently no plugin support or SDK.
Export to FBX format of up to 25,000 polygons per scene (but the .mlt format allows denser meshes within Maya LT)

http://drh2.img.digitalriver.com/DRHM/Storefront/Company/adsk/images/product/detail/FY14/maya-lt-2014-badge-155x318px.png
store link
http://store.autodesk.co.uk/store/adsk/en_GB/pd/ThemeID.25705700/productID.286218500

http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Maya-LT.jpg

jasonwestmas
08-27-2013, 12:57 PM
Maya LT. . . interesting move. Pretty cool with all those different pricing options.

I don't quite understand why it doesn't support mel. That's kind of important for rigging, no? All my scripts are in mel format.

bazsa73
08-27-2013, 01:41 PM
I would buy Maya for the CA tools and MEL. The rest can be replaced by other softwares but these two attributes makes Maya really strong.
I could live without the dynamics rather.

xchrisx
08-27-2013, 06:58 PM

That right there makes it sound like a bad decision to me personally.

GraphXs
08-27-2013, 08:29 PM
Maya LT....lol.....

nemofish
08-27-2013, 09:09 PM
This is an awesome improvement!

Dodgy
08-27-2013, 09:11 PM
I'm not seeing anything at the link and searching for Maya LT returns no results in the store. Just Autocad LT and ordinary flavours of Maya.

3D Kiwi
08-27-2013, 10:05 PM
I'm not seeing anything at the link and searching for Maya LT returns no results in the store. Just Autocad LT and ordinary flavours of Maya.

I dont think the info was ment to be leaked just yet. A post on the Softimage forums said there should be more info very soon.

PS how is the Dodgy one?

VonBon
08-28-2013, 08:25 AM
Maya LT now available on the autodesk store for $775 and soon the be available for rental at $50 a month , $125 per quarter or $400 a year

What exactly do you give up for that savings? Well, here is where things get a bit tricky.

Does not support external renderers; cannot render 'scenes' or animations
Export to FBX format of up to 25,000 polygons per scene (but the .mlt format allows denser meshes within Maya LT)

http://drh2.img.digitalriver.com/DRHM/Storefront/Company/adsk/images/product/detail/FY14/maya-lt-2014-badge-155x318px.png
store link
http://store.autodesk.co.uk/store/adsk/en_GB/pd/ThemeID.25705700/productID.286218500

http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Maya-LT.jpg

Seems like its going to be geared towards Indie Game Developers.

jasonwestmas
08-28-2013, 08:29 AM

Yeah I noticed the link was removed shortly after Cresshead posted it. Cress is on the bleeding edge of things it seems haha.

jasonwestmas
08-28-2013, 08:34 AM
That right there makes it sound like a bad decision to me personally.

"No MEL support, and currently no plugin support or SDK."

Yeah I really don't understand this. Without scripting support, this just slows the whole setup process down and we might as well be using some free application. Maybe it still works with python.

VonBon
08-28-2013, 09:32 AM
No plugin support means no ActorX plugin. yea maybe game development isn't the direction.
wth are they thinking, that people will pay to play?

jburford
08-28-2013, 09:52 AM
Yeah I noticed the link was removed shortly after Cresshead posted it. Cress is on the bleeding edge of things it seems haha.

lol, naw, just had his eyes on the cg society board. . .

now, if I have my eyes on another gal here (in Germany), my gal calls that "Fremdgehen" :-)

cresshead
08-28-2013, 10:57 AM
http://forums.autodesk.com/autodesk/attachments/autodesk/mayalt/1/1/autodesk_mayalt_faq.pdf

FAQ on the software

and the main webpage has gone live now
http://www.autodesk.com/products/maya-lt/overview

pricing is $775 for USa and 805 for u.k. (we're ripped off as per usual) btw $775 is 512 when converted.

http://static.autodesk.net/content/dam/autodesk/www/products/autodesk-maya-lt/video/game-animation-software-mobile-video-1280x720.flv/_jcr_content/renditions/game-animation-software-mobile-video-thumb-252x150.jpg

no paint effects in the LT version
compare page here:
http://www.autodesk.com/products/maya-lt/compare

jburford
08-28-2013, 04:36 PM
Downloading the Trial now. Actually looking @ the comparison, looks pretty good for what you are getting at that price. No Rendering, but it is not for that purpose. . . No Mel, nor scripting.... Of course not, one could easily bypass any limitations in the edition and tie into bigger workflows. Downside, some lower abilities for rigging.

Yes, the pricing in other parts of the world suck, also affected by here in Germany.....

But even so, one can not simply compare 1 to 1. The costs of doing business and having a business (and in larger number of areas) living costs more than other parts of the world. But... agree, should not be that extreme difference.

jburford
08-28-2013, 04:41 PM
No plugin support means no ActorX plugin. yea maybe game development isn't the direction.
wth are they thinking, that people will pay to play?

I don't read that, I read. . ..

Write custom plugins with SDK NO

But not No Plugins. . ..

They had also said that with Cinema 4D Lite, but that was not the case in regards to not supporting Plugins.

Dodgy
08-28-2013, 09:47 PM
Hmm, no Trax (motion mixer) or animation layers which makes it a bit pants for games. I want to be able to keep all my takes in one scene, thanks AD...
No scripting or SDK? So no custom exporters, setup tools etc then...
Deformers, particles, and rendering, i could see going, no engine is going to support them, but those two features are really needed for games.

jasonwestmas
08-28-2013, 10:55 PM
No Spline IK either. =P

bazsa73
08-29-2013, 01:07 AM
No Spline IK either. =P

What? No SplineIK in maya LT? Ridiculous.

bazsa73
08-29-2013, 01:11 AM
well, as they state it is targeted for indie mobile game artists

erikals
08-29-2013, 03:04 AM
Maya LT... no thanks, i'd rather get Blender...

how about releasing Maya FX...! ripped of the animation tools... yez pleaze...

xchrisx
08-29-2013, 10:51 AM
No set driven key tool either... wow. The more I see the worse it sounds.

cresshead
08-29-2013, 02:38 PM
Hmm, no Trax (motion mixer) or animation layers which makes it a bit pants for games. I want to be able to keep all my takes in one scene, thanks AD...
No scripting or SDK? So no custom exporters, setup tools etc then...
Deformers, particles, and rendering, i could see going, no engine is going to support them, but those two features are really needed for games.

it has deformers, watch the videos of it in action.

i think people need to focus on what it does offer that lightwave, modo and cinema do not...which is a lot of things actually.

jasonwestmas
08-29-2013, 03:18 PM
well, as they state it is targeted for indie mobile game artists

Why do mobile idie developers not like long tails, tentacles and ropes? :)

Not sure how good blender's skin weight tools are but maya's weighting tools are the only real advantage I'm seeing so far. Nex modeling tools are nice though.

Dodgy
08-29-2013, 07:54 PM
I know it has deformers, I was saying I couldn't see much use for them in a product aimed at games (which aren't going to use them in a realtime environment) and could be removed, while Trax would be very useful to me as a games animator, and therefore shouldn't.

Surrealist.
08-29-2013, 08:29 PM
Not sure how good blender's skin weight tools are but maya's weighting tools are the only real advantage I'm seeing so far. Nex modeling tools are nice though.

Skinning weights in Maya is much better than Blender. I go back and forth between them frequently and curse more and more on the Blender side as my awareness of the gap widens the more I use Maya.

This bit about it being for indie mobile game development. I have run into a lot of these companies. There are a lot of small legitimate start up companies doing these mobile apps. It is not at all anything like the normal game industry. It is smaller independent companies (just one or two people usually) with apps that are not demanding and animations and requirements that are nothing like larger games. I have never had a requirement for anything other than simple animations like walking jumping fighting and so on. And very light poly counts. More than likely these companies are avoiding more sophisticated effects as they are on very tight budgets and very low on staff so coding is probably very basic.

It is an interesting sub market. For that Maya LT is right on the button at the price/feature set.

saranine
08-30-2013, 01:46 AM
http://forums.autodesk.com/autodesk/attachments/autodesk/mayalt/1/1/autodesk_mayalt_faq.pdf

FAQ on the software

and the main webpage has gone live now
http://www.autodesk.com/products/maya-lt/overview

pricing is $775 for USa and 805 for u.k. (we're ripped off as per usual) btw $775 is 512 when converted.

http://static.autodesk.net/content/dam/autodesk/www/products/autodesk-maya-lt/video/game-animation-software-mobile-video-1280x720.flv/_jcr_content/renditions/game-animation-software-mobile-video-thumb-252x150.jpg

no paint effects in the LT version
compare page here:
http://www.autodesk.com/products/maya-lt/compare

Whoa there. I come from the Antipodean lands. I bring you cold comfort. It is not you who is ripped off; it is me. Because I live in a desert that is full of weird life forms such as wombats and kangaroos Autodesk decides that somewhere in the Pacific, where the digital highways meet, that Maya and associated products shall increase in value and that their cost shall be all the greater.

There shall be no argument. Autodesk, the mighty digital force of our time, shall brook no breach of its divine, geoblocked commandments.

jasonwestmas
08-30-2013, 08:08 AM
how does one brook no breach of the divine. lol.

jasonwestmas
08-30-2013, 08:13 AM
Skinning weights in Maya is much better than Blender. I go back and forth between them frequently and curse more and more on the Blender side as my awareness of the gap widens the more I use Maya.

This bit about it being for indie mobile game development. I have run into a lot of these companies. There are a lot of small legitimate start up companies doing these mobile apps. It is not at all anything like the normal game industry. It is smaller independent companies (just one or two people usually) with apps that are not demanding and animations and requirements that are nothing like larger games. I have never had a requirement for anything other than simple animations like walking jumping fighting and so on. And very light poly counts. More than likely these companies are avoiding more sophisticated effects as they are on very tight budgets and very low on staff so coding is probably very basic.

It is an interesting sub market. For that Maya LT is right on the button at the price/feature set.

Yeah that's where this pricing war thing confounds me. If indie developers are usually interested in only extremely low rez, simplistic character designs, then I hardly see the need to use maya of any breed. Clearly an older version of lightwave or messiah. . .old apps. with a lot of battle testing for quick turn around projects have the means for video game animation of this caliber.

It is an interesting market though and I can see where the $700 price tag could be tempting.

But yeah maya's skinning is beautifully useful, I look forward to it for any complex design.

Surrealist.
08-30-2013, 09:36 AM
Well what is happening is that people are certainly not turning up with indie game freelance jobs in LightWave or Messiah that I have ever seen. The reasons are fairly obvious to me. I have been seeing more stuff in Blender, which does make a lot of sense. And Maya LT simply is an attempt to tap into that market. I can't imagine LightWave or Messiah being appealing to these people - at least not the ones I have been dealing with. I could see them getting interested in a Maya workflow and I am sure a Max LT is also around the corner.

jasonwestmas
08-30-2013, 09:53 AM
I actually see character studio and CAT to be the most appealing for indie dev. It has the fastest setup for creatures other than bipeds and permits a lot of reuse of animations out of the box. AD said they went with maya LT because it supports the most OS platforms, which makes sense in that regard.

jasonwestmas
08-30-2013, 09:59 AM
I actually see character studio and CAT to be the most appealing for indie dev. It has the fastest setup for creatures other than bipeds and permits a lot of reuse of animations out of the box. AD said they went with maya LT because it supports the most OS platforms, which makes sense in that regard.

It doesn't look like Max and SI will have an LT version any time soon.

Dodgy
08-30-2013, 10:06 AM
Xsi already has an LT, which is 7.5 mod tool, which is still free and downloadable if you know where to look. It has pretty much everything XSI 7.5 has, except its renders are watermarked. It has hair, dynamics, NLE motion mixer, all that stuff and imports/exports to formats LW can read, so you could animate in XSI and import into LW for rendering.

Surrealist.
08-30-2013, 10:08 AM
It doesn't look like Max and SI will have an LT version any time soon.

Interesting. I would agree on your points about Max though.

I am still curious what awaits us for the full versions.

Xsi already has an LT, which is 7.5 mod tool, which is still free and downloadable if you know where to look. It has pretty much everything XSI 7.5 has, except its renders are watermarked. It has hair, dynamics, NLE motion mixer, all that stuff and imports/exports to formats LW can read, so you could animate in XSI and import into LW for rendering.

Yeah I was using that for training purposes for a while. But as far as I remember it is not for commercial work anyway so would not be an option for companies.

jasonwestmas
08-30-2013, 10:50 AM

ah yes, I just never used that version of it. it is non commercial. Max had a version like that too.

cresshead
09-01-2013, 07:45 AM
Maya LT has Limited MEL support means no ability to author new MEL scripts or write MEL code within the application. Executing of MEL is still entirely possible as the entire Maya interface is built on MEL (no command input bar means having to be done via say shelf buttons). The caveat here is if your scripts tap into a feature or something that was removed it will likely cause errors because that code no longer exists (say you had something using follicles for example). Still, being able to RUN mel scripts from the shelf is a big plus to what we understood before we knew about this.

Surrealist.
09-01-2013, 02:28 PM
Well yeah that was my initial thought too. How could it not run Mel? That did not seem right.