PDA

View Full Version : Zbrush Subdivision - question for Zbrushing LW'ers

adrian
08-23-2013, 04:35 AM
Hi, ok this is probably a bit of a stupid newbie question but why doesn't CTRL+D work to subdivide my mesh in Zbrush? All my other shortcuts work and if I start a new project and press CTRL+D it works just fine! This is driving me crazy as I can't continue sculpting and my plan is to export the thing to LW when I'm done.

I'm using 4R6 if that helps.

Additionally how good is the Zbrush to LW integration for UV maps? What I'm really asking is... is it worth exporting the mesh without UVs and then create them in LW or better to do it within ZB first?

TIA :help:

OnlineRender
08-23-2013, 04:49 AM
hmm you are better to uv unwrap in lw if I am honest but it depends how much you move the mesh in zb ... but its not an issue I do all my uv and painting in zb then export to LW ... you actually have way more control in terms of UV mapping in zbrush

in regards to sub_d mesh ctrl+d works cool are you getting only a 3D mesh with a subd set to higher message ?

best I can suggest is customize the UI mines looks this when I am in modelling mode.... texturing my UI is totally different.

Jim M
08-23-2013, 04:50 AM
Make sure you have the right subtool selected, that it is a polymesh3d, that it is visible and is unmasked. Also might be a visual thing, ensure no creasnig is on (if you are a total noob, you might be subdividing and have previously creased every poly)
There are probably 20 other things that don't spring to mind.... its a pretty broad and deep app.

UV maps, both have advantages. If you don't see a direct advantage, one way or the other, in your current project, then go with what you know.
Bare in mind ZB subdivides differently to LW so the changes from a very loow res mesh to more subdivisions will show slight distortions. Depends what you are doing....

Surrealist.
08-23-2013, 04:52 AM
Well, my first question is why not take the Zbrush problem to the Zbrush forum? Otherwise why not just hit the divide button rather than use the shortcut? And then see if you have the same issue in 45. I had encountered some bugs in 46 and went back.

Regarding UV maps, it kind of depends on the object. For organic shapes - characters for example - you'll get great results in Zbrush with UV master and painting an attract map. Some more mechanical shapes might require more control and you can use an external app for that. LW's UVs just got some love so maybe it will be easier then before for that. But for characters - Zbrush for sure.

meshpig
08-23-2013, 06:24 AM
Well, my first question is why not take the Zbrush problem to the Zbrush forum?

Well indeed. That's if you can draw anyone's attention away from Ghouls and overly elaborate Kitsch, would-be game characters. In some ways it's a bit of brain-dead site, ycfm :)

adrian
08-23-2013, 06:46 AM
That's exactly why I didn't post on ZbrushCentral, I couldn't really find anywhere suitable - it's all about ghouls, demons and whatnot in the main forum as meshpig said - plus I had the added question about LW anyway.

Thanks for the feedback re: UV-mapping.

As for subdividing, creasing not on, no masks (I made sure to clear masks) and I don't have the "divide" button to click on as it's greyed out. It is a polymesh3d object as I've been moving and sculpting on it (created from ZSpheres). I've since noticed I can't do a CTRL+N for a new canvas either so I can't even redraw the damn thing.

Surrealist.
08-23-2013, 09:09 AM
That's exactly why I didn't post on ZbrushCentral, I couldn't really find anywhere suitable - it's all about ghouls, demons and whatnot in the main forum as meshpig said - plus I had the added question about LW anyway.

That's not the support forum.

This is:

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/forumdisplay.php?101-Other-Questions-And-Troubleshooting-Forum

When I post in the support forums a ZBC I get support. It works for me. The responses I have gotten are usually spot on and gotten me out of jams. Here seems like it would be a lot more hit and miss statistically. Just trying to be helpful as this is not a forum that the Zbrush experts necessarily frequent.

It does sound like you are missing a simple step in there. By the way Ctl N only works when you are not in Edit Mode.

adrian
08-23-2013, 10:03 AM
Cool, thanks for the link. I saved my object out as a Ztool and reloaded it and it worked fine after that.

tburbage
08-29-2013, 11:47 PM
This going to sound like an odd suggestion, but your problem sounds odd. If you minimize, then restore the ZB app window, does anything get better? I have to do that before I can work with ZB (this on my aging Win/Vista setup) for each session.

(edit: never mind... sounds like you maybe just weren't in Edit mode? But then, Ctrl+N should have worked.......)

bazsa73
08-30-2013, 12:53 AM
Nothing beats elfwood.

adrian
08-30-2013, 03:39 AM
and I also now have another weird problem in that Panel Loops are not working - my object disappears when pressing the button. I posted a thread over at Zbrushcentral but no luck so far :-(

At least I got the subdivide issue sorted.

OnlineRender
08-30-2013, 05:48 AM
with r5 panel loops was buggy for myself ... not tried it on r6 soz

Surrealist.
08-30-2013, 06:33 AM
Can you post a link to your post at ZBC?

adrian
08-30-2013, 07:43 AM
Sure, it's here

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?180427-Panel-Loops-making-object-disappear

There's a full list of things I've tried. In addition to that I've now also tried it on the object created by the tutorial author and once again the object disappears when pressing Panel Loops. So I'm now thinking it's a bug rather than something I'm doing wrong. I think the guy was using version R4 or R5 when creating the tut.

BTW as an aside I would 100% recommend Digital Tutors for the quality of their material for ZB - I asked them about LW stuff for the future as they don't currently have anything at the moment which I find unbelievable but hey. Only thing I don't like about them is you can't download the courses for offline viewing.

Surrealist.
08-31-2013, 03:56 AM
Thanks, did not want you to post all of that twice. It does seem like a bug. I tried it on 4r5 and it works. Doing the same thing in 4r6 makes the object go away. I have run into other bugs on 4r6 so I would recommend using 4r5 if you can. I am not sure if there is a patch for this release or even if they do that. But it is something to check.

meshpig
08-31-2013, 05:47 AM
I don't see much buggy about 4R6, mac at least. Ctrl D subd's fine here and when doing panel loops make sure you aren't inadvertently hiding polygroups and the like. ZB is pretty straightforward but it's "steppy", as in you have to obey the certain order in which you do things.

Surrealist.
08-31-2013, 07:37 AM
In 4r6 with a cylinder I get the object disappearing. On a sphere it deletes part of the object and hangs Zbrush. In version 4r5 it works perfectly. Completely broken in 4r6 as far as I can tell.

gordonrobb
08-31-2013, 08:25 AM
R6 has a lot of dynamesh problems too. When I'm doing Boolean subtracts with fairly high poly models it crashed a lot, when the same model and operation works in R5. Haven't tried panel loops must have a go.

Surrealist.
08-31-2013, 09:34 AM
Yeah that is what I was working with last. Just trying to cut a Boolean into a Dynamesh did not work at all. Thought it was me. It is a very straight forward process once you know it. But I was having all kinds of issues. I think the mesh was even disappearing. Moved back over to 4r5 and it was all good. Shame. I did not have time to trace it down. Also I was getting crashes - I think that is what it was - with Zremesher which was even worse. The main reason for upgrading. Whatever it was, it was not working - at all. I was in the middle of a deadline so I did not have time to mess with it. Luckily I did a clean 4r6 install and still had 4r5 handy which is working just fine. I wonder now if that might be creating some kind of conflict. But I followed the install instructions perfectly. And there was no need - according to that - to deactivate 4r5. When I get free I am going to hop over there and see what the deal is with this release.

gordonrobb
08-31-2013, 10:33 AM
That's strange, I just upgraded to R6 using the auto upgrade, and it left me with working copies of both. Haven't had any issues with ZRemesher - it's awesome btw

adrian
08-31-2013, 11:30 AM
Well I think I'll contact Pixologic tech support and let them know about the bug. Sounds like I might have to go back to 4R5 which as I'm a newbie isn't really going to be a big deal as I'll still be able to do loads of things. Learning this app is hard enough as it is without having bugs thrown at you too :-)

Edit: I also have a fully working version of 4R5 too so the installer didn't deactivate it which is cool.