PDA

View Full Version : Unreal Engine and Lightwave.

Paul_Boland
08-22-2013, 10:04 AM
Hi Folks.

Recently I've been looking at learning to use one of the commercial 3D engines on the market place in the hope of making a career of it. After considering both CryEngine and Unreal Engine, I picked the Unreal Engine because it's got a vast user base and is easier to learn then CryEngine.

Last night I downloaded the UDK but have not yet had time to install it and dive into the documentation and start studying. But I was just wondering if anyone knows if Lightwave is compatible with Unreal Engine? Can I create models in Lightwave and get them into Unreal Engine or am I looking at needing 3D Studio or Maya or some other high end 3D software?

RebelHill
08-22-2013, 11:27 AM
If the engine imports FBX, then LWs fine... If not, and it needs a "special" format... is there an exporter plugin available for LW? If yes, fine, if not, no go.

VonBon
08-22-2013, 11:33 AM
The FBX format works (some rotational issues), although it would be better if Newtek
created something like "Actor X" that is used for Maya (and probably Max too).

Newtek should have focused on being more compatible with UDK and the like, instead of Unity 3D.

RebelHill
08-22-2013, 12:30 PM
The FBX format works (some rotational issues)

Rotational issues are usually an issue to do with pivot recording... If things have been pivot recorded in LW, then at FBX export time, LW attempts to undo this whilst maintaining correct animation... however, sometimes it dont work out. Best to keep all items NONrecorded if a games engine is the final destination.

Iain
08-22-2013, 01:09 PM
This Cryengine video is pretty astonishing. I don't think I could play the game for looking at the environments..........

http://www.evermotion.org/tutorials/show/8161/gamescom-cryengine-demo-trailer

MarcusM
08-22-2013, 01:19 PM
The FBX format works (some rotational issues), although it would be better if Newtek
created something like "Actor X" that is used for Maya (and probably Max too).

Newtek should have focused on being more compatible with UDK and the like, instead of Unity 3D.

Unity engine have more than 2 000 000 registered developers. Why you thing LW3DG should not focus on this? :D I personally using Unity more than two years, of course with LightWave. On this field NT can't do more in integration. Unity should support *.lwo !
For now only: .FBX, .dae (Collada), .3DS, .dxf and .obj
http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/Manual/3D-formats.html

Problem is in LightWave, no smoothing groups, not so many modern UV tools etc. all tool in game dev... ;]

rednova
08-22-2013, 03:50 PM
dear friend:
I read in newtekpro (old lw magazine) that the game unreal tournament was made using lightwave
for all levels and gfx. So that means is very probable you can use lw on unreal engine.
Cheers !!!

Dodgy
08-22-2013, 10:19 PM
I used LW with the UDK a while back, so I'm not sure how compatible this is nowadays, but I could export animation and objects as Collada and get them in the editor working, so it used to be doable.

VonBon
08-22-2013, 11:16 PM
@RebelHill: The rotation problem came in when importing the character, UDK would rotate the model 90 degrees
face down and I would manually have to rotate it back 90 degress in UDK to the upright position. I read that not
having it zeroed out could cause problems down the road. I'll try again with joints instead.

@MarcusM: Not saying they shouldn't focus on Unity 3D but that IMO they should have addressed the "AAA"
Game Engines first as an attempt to gain more market share. People making games usually are thinking Max
for the tool of choice because it caters to the Game Industry more so than any other app i think.

Also I found this app for smoothing groups. Its a lil "someTyme", I usually have to go through the process a
few times before it actually works. http://www.clintons3d.com/vr/index.html (It could be user error) :)
I would just select the surfaces I wanted to be smooth in LW and save, although it creates a seperate
material inside UDK. Im guessing the smoothing groups is prefered to be part of the vertex data instead though.

Philbert
08-23-2013, 02:38 AM
dear friend:
I read in newtekpro (old lw magazine) that the game unreal tournament was made using lightwave
for all levels and gfx. So that means is very probable you can use lw on unreal engine.
Cheers !!!

Doom 3 and Unreal Tournament 4 were both made with LightWave but since Unreal Engine became UDK sadly LWO support was dropped. It was only able to be used for static objects anyway.

I'd suggest Unity myself. It has a huge following and a great connection with LightWave. Heck if you download the free kit from http://FPSControl.com you don't even need to write any code or scripts to make a unique FPS game.

Paul_Boland
08-23-2013, 06:59 AM
Thanks for all the feedback on this. Early days yet, I spent a few hours yesterday evening with UDK and exploring the interface and tools. Haven't tried to import anything yet but when I do Lightwave will be the 3D package doing the model making.

clintonman
08-23-2013, 09:07 AM
I used LW with the UDK a while back, so I'm not sure how compatible this is nowadays, but I could export animation and objects as Collada and get them in the editor working, so it used to be doable.

UDK dropped Collada support, so that's no longer an option.

netstile123
08-23-2013, 11:25 PM
not to go way off subject here but has anyone ever used the engine in blender and how is that compared to these other ones were talking aboutabout
. I'm just basing this on the fax a blender is a free .and I'm guessing unity has to cost some
money

Philbert
08-23-2013, 11:55 PM
Unity is free. I believe they only charge after you've made a certain amount of income from it, and that amount is pretty high. There are also some extra features you get if you pay, but they aren't really needed to make a game.

Skonk
08-24-2013, 06:28 AM
The free version of unity includes the android and ios modules now which previously you had to pay for.

If you've played mobiles games on either of those platforms (2d or 3d) you WILL have played games made with Unity.