PDA

View Full Version : Rigging and animating a Trilobite

Pamela G. Juust
08-22-2013, 03:03 AM
Hey,

I need to model, rig and animate some trilobites for a natural museum exhibition.
I'm wondering, what would be the most sensible way to rig and animate those legs. These creatures had about 20 pairs of legs that moved with a slight offset, just like centiped's legs do today.
I'm thinking about a rig where the animation of one leg is transfered and offset to other legs, if that makes sense. Perhaps instancing would be an option.

If anyone can give a good suggestion then i would be very happy : )

Cheers,
J.

RebelHill
08-22-2013, 03:17 AM
Easiest way is just to use a time offset. Hve on pair that you animate, and constrain the others to this pair via follower or similar and use delay. The only issue here is that the delay is an absolute value, so you'll get the same delay time between legs actions irrespective of how fast the main body is moving... if that needs to be done more accurately, then nodes is the way, where you can factor in the distance travelled of the main body in a given time step, adjusting the delay accordingly.

Pamela G. Juust
08-23-2013, 02:45 AM
Thanks for the reply! I'll give it a go and see how it works out : )

Ryan Roye
08-23-2013, 06:45 AM
Put some research into Relativity's dr.follower; it has many advantages over follower (and many other motion modifiers) in that it is much easier to assign/manage, you can re-use any setups created and you can make changes to any number of bones in the entire hierarchy by only editing one Relativity item. You can use a null to determine how tightly the legs follow any particular item, which would allow you to adjust the speed of the trilobite's legs appropriate to their movement.

If you need total detail; IKBooster's IKBind function when used correctly would allow you to twist and turn (well, as much as a trilobite would), and even re-size the critters and still have complete foot accuracy. This can also be combined with things like raycasting to make adhering to uneven surfaces easy.

VonBon
08-23-2013, 09:36 AM
Maybe the new Raycast Node could help.
I gotta get time to play with it.

Maybe connect a null in some way to track the up and down motion of
the raycast node for the legs and also use that node to influence the the forward motion
of another null to control the forward motion of the legs.