PDA

View Full Version : Copying Nodal Displacement from Object to Object

raw-m
08-21-2013, 03:46 PM
I've come across an issue that I thought would be simple but has left me scratching my head!

I have displaced a ground object using nodes that I'm happy with. I have a few road objects that I would like to use the same displacement. Copying the node setup from my ground object and pasting to other objects don't seem follow the same displacement, even though everything is set to world co-ords. I want to move my road objects around and was expecting it to conform to the same displacement as the ground (textures have world co-ords ticked and Before World Displacement is used. Subdivision is set to Last). Am I missing something?

XswampyX
08-21-2013, 05:04 PM
Hello Raw-m, Do you have Lw - 11.6 ?

https://www.lightwave3d.com/learn/article/siggraph-2013-lightwave-116-raycast-motion-feature/?utm_source=august_newsletter_2013&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter

raw-m
08-22-2013, 12:42 AM
Hi swampy. Yes, so near but so far! Don't think it's quite cooked yet in terms of rendering out buffers and I've had a few plugin issues (although I havent tried the 19th Aug release yet).

probiner
08-22-2013, 03:17 AM
Export a nodes file and post it :D

Cageman
08-22-2013, 03:21 PM
Raycast shouldn't be needed for such a thing. As probiner suggested, can you post the node-setup as a file? If you can post content as well would be a plus.

raw-m
08-25-2013, 03:46 AM
Hi, thanks all and sorry for the late reply.

Here's a basic scene. As mentioned, all I have done is copy the displacement from the "ground" to the "road". Being in world co-ords, I was expecting my road to displace the same as the ground, allowing me to move my road around on the xz and it conform to the displacement. Instead I'm getting something as attached. I must be mis-understanding how it works?

RebelHill
08-25-2013, 04:02 AM
Your problem is one of geometric resolution...

Set your ground object to high subdiv level, say 10, and subdiv order to FIRST...

Basically your displacement texture is very small, and your road has much finer geometric resolution at subDiv 0 than your ground object has, thus, its picking up more of this displacement detail in the first instance. By setting subDiv to last, all you're doing is subdividing the resultant displacement effect... but its the 0 level which is being displaced.

What you need to do is to use a texture with larger detail.

raw-m
08-25-2013, 02:43 PM
Got it RH, thanks for the pointer! I suspected as much when I started playing with the Subpatch Levels. It's something I'll need to look out for in future - there's a whole level of unnecessary detail that could throw me out.