PDA

View Full Version : Make DSK overlay transparent

JPulera
08-21-2013, 12:42 PM
Maybe this is common knowledge and I'm the last guy to figure this out, or maybe it will help some folks, I dunno ;-)

A client hands you a USB stick with their company logo file on it at the last minute, and they want it to appear as a "bug" on their live stream. Bugs are usually semi-transparent to make them less distracting. You could take the image into Photoshop and add transparency and save out as a 32-bit file to maintain the alpha, then Import into TC. If you have SpeedEdit installed on TC, maybe do it their as well. But time constraints, and the fact that you need to exit TC to do this, can make it impossible.

So try this - put your logo in the graphics bin, or frame buffer or wherever you want to stash it, and assign it it to DSK2. Position, size, and crop as needed. Now select DSK2 with FADE transition, and move T-bar until desired level of logo transparency is reached and stop. Finally, select BKGD or DSK1 and the DSK2 transition will be "frozen" right where you left it, mid-transition! As long as you don't hit TAKE or AUTO for DSK2, the overlay will sit there with your transparency applied.

Maybe you'll find other creative uses for this. I always demonstrate making a quick "bug" during demos (resize and position) and often get asked "can you add transparency?" and now I can say YES!

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

joedemax
08-24-2013, 01:52 PM
Cool!

If you have a TriCaster with Animation Store transitions, you could create a custom transitions that had 10 different levels of opacity. this makes it a lot easier to find the position on the T-Bar for the desired level of opacity should you accidentally hit auto etc. If you know you always want a certain level of opacity you could also create a transition with that level of opacity all the way through :) I have done similar things to do picture and picture effects (using 2 virtual inputs at once) using custom Transwarp effects.

Joe

joseburgos
08-29-2013, 02:26 PM
Maybe this is common knowledge and I'm the last guy to figure this out, or maybe it will help some folks, I dunno ;-)

A client hands you a USB stick with their company logo file on it at the last minute, and they want it to appear as a "bug" on their live stream. Bugs are usually semi-transparent to make them less distracting. You could take the image into Photoshop and add transparency and save out as a 32-bit file to maintain the alpha, then Import into TC. If you have SpeedEdit installed on TC, maybe do it their as well. But time constraints, and the fact that you need to exit TC to do this, can make it impossible.

So try this - put your logo in the graphics bin, or frame buffer or wherever you want to stash it, and assign it it to DSK2. Position, size, and crop as needed. Now select DSK2 with FADE transition, and move T-bar until desired level of logo transparency is reached and stop. Finally, select BKGD or DSK1 and the DSK2 transition will be "frozen" right where you left it, mid-transition! As long as you don't hit TAKE or AUTO for DSK2, the overlay will sit there with your transparency applied.

Maybe you'll find other creative uses for this. I always demonstrate making a quick "bug" during demos (resize and position) and often get asked "can you add transparency?" and now I can say YES!

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Funny when I train, I use this as an example of when you see something on screen but you don't see DSK lit (active), look at the progress bars (in grey) under the DSK1 and DSK2 to see if they have any activity :)
Me personally, I would not teach this as a function to use in a production as it leaves to much room for error when you have to remember a DSK is active even though no indication other than the progress bar is displayed but that's just me ;)

Take care,

JPulera
08-30-2013, 11:03 AM
Hi Jose,

I totally see you point of not setting things up in a way that would "trip up" the operator later in the program. But I figure with the example of a bug logo on the corner that is to remain on screen for the duration, "set it and forget it" on DSK2 and that shouldn't cause any problems ;-)

Regards,

Jeff