PDA

View Full Version : Please make buttons look like buttons

sketchyjay
11-12-2003, 11:42 PM
After finding yet another hidden tool I have to ask for functions to be made visable. Case in point:

Double clicking on an image in the image editor causes it to open full size. Have a button or something to indicate this on teh image so we know.

The ICONs. Lightwave does use icons, they all use the same image too... Those tiny little arrows. I just discovered an arrow I thought that was for scrolling in Spreadsheet ACTUALLY opens a view off all the keys. This is the second arrow that I have discovered that does something that I would of never figured out.

Please make them distinctly buttons so we can tell that it is a button and not an interface slider arrow.

How about a page in the help doc that shows all those arrows, pluses etc and how they are actually buttons. That would go along way toward helping us figure out the interface until it is updated.

Has anyone else come across this problem?

Jay

Matt
11-13-2003, 03:12 AM
It probably does say this in the manual somewhere, but who can honestly say they've read every word in the manual!

The training boys have cashed in on this fact!!! :)

Karmacop
11-13-2003, 04:36 AM
More reason to push everything that looks like you can click in when you first get the software :p

That's what I do ... you have a good point about double clicking, I figured it out, but I'm not sure how ...

Matt
11-13-2003, 06:56 AM
Speaking of buttons, on the upcoming v8 interface toggle gadgets have the gadget borders running around the text associated with them, this makes them look more like 'single-state' buttons than 'boolean' toggle gadgets.

Makes the interface look over-crowded un-necessarily.

Gadgets look different for a reason - to identify their function, making them look similar is a poor UI decision.

Matt
11-13-2003, 07:02 AM
This isn't too clever either, if the names are going to be hidden permanently like this (obviously until clicked on) make sure the window can be resized by the user to show the full names.

As it stands this is going to confuse new users.

Matt
11-13-2003, 07:08 AM
. . . while I'm on a rant (sorry about that!) unless you can resize the columns in listviews (not possible in current LW) why has the 'On' column been given so much space for just a little tick? Especially when the plugin column will need as much space as it can get!

I know this is picky and most people will probably wonder what I'm on, but it's the lack of 'design' over these small details that annoy me!

Karmacop
11-13-2003, 07:31 AM
Hopefully things like these will be fixed for the release, if not we can blame Kevin Nation, the interface designer :p

sketchyjay
11-13-2003, 09:46 AM
Matt: what if the tab popped to full size if the mouse is over it?

I can see if soemthing is named too long and just doesn't fit but if htey made any tab pop to full length when teh moiuse is over it that would solve the mysteries of the |St... \Ge... \ kind of buttons.

Oh I went through the manual and it shows the timeline in the spreadsheet but no where does it mention that the arrows are buttons. It is assumed.

I would like it if the Lightwave team come up with an iconic dictionary that has to use icons that can't be mistaken for common icons used by the rest of the OS for other purposes. This includes OK means to do the operation, not no which is confusing (notice the double negative... it confuses. Yes should mean yes) The apply button in teh spreadsheet. If you forget to apply it asks a confusing question that could be better asked with a simle "do you want to apply this modification?" Also enter applies any change in any window. If everyone has this posted up on their wall then this will remain consistant throoughout the software. (it would be nice to give this out to plugin developers as well so we don't have to deal with this when going into plugin option panels.

Here is another idea. How about icons that animate. That show what it does when you move the mouse over it. You move the mouse over the arrow and it pops into a box... I would immediately know that it is not a normal scroll button. Hell if it had a mouseover state like a webpage that would work and use less resources than an animation.

Jay

sketchyjay
11-13-2003, 10:04 AM
Since I discovered that arrow button I decided to take a look around the interface and see if there are any more buttons that, maybe, I could make a big image of all the icons to see if a icon dictionary would be useful now to use the software...

It seems that they use the arrows in many of the pop up windows to shrink option panes.

I also noticed that the arrow is used in the surface editor to shrink the surface list. The arrow being on the editing side of the window makes me think It should be revered in direction. The editor pane is "taking over" the whole window. If the arrow was on the surface list side I think it would work the way it is pointing now

If you look at the graph editor it works this way but is reversed in the surface editor window.

Jay