PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave Crashes on Startup

DHudson
08-21-2013, 08:08 AM
Hello,
I've used Lightwave v10 for a while now, though not for a couple weeks. I tried to start the program today and the first thing I get is a message that says:

Lightwave crash reporter
A critical error has occurred, create a crash report?

I say yes, then click send and get this message:
Error: 553 sorry, your envelope sender domain must exist [#5.7.1]

Should I reinstall Lightwave? Theres been one of those automatic software updates on my computer since I used it last. Should I set the computer back to a previous time? Of course this happens when I have a deadline.

Thank you for any help or suggestions.
Dhudson

Skonk
08-21-2013, 08:12 AM
Just delete the config files located in "C:\Users\user\.NewTek\LightWave" after making sure layout, modeller and the hub are all closed.

Then re-launch the program.

DHudson
08-21-2013, 08:46 AM
Thank you so much for the help Skonk. The second "user" is the name on the computer I am guessing. I went there and there was no file called .NewTek.

Any suggestions?

Thank you

BeeVee
08-21-2013, 08:51 AM
It's a folder in your user directory, rather than a file.

B

DHudson
08-21-2013, 09:26 AM
There was no NewTek folder in the user folder (with or without the dot before the word NewTek). I did find a folder called NewTek by going to- C: > Program Files > NewTek.

Edit:
I just found these files sitting loose in the C: > Users: > (user name) folder
LW9-64.CFG
LWEXT9-64.CFG
LWFBA-64.CFG
LWHUB9-64.CFG
LWM9-64.CFG
lwpc_edgebevel.cfg
lwpc_segsscaleselect.cfg

jwiede
08-21-2013, 11:09 AM
The .Newtek folder may be "hidden", use dir options to view hidden files ("/a:h", IIRC) and see if it shows up. If it is hidden, you can make it visible with the cmd:

> attrib -H .Newtek

Phil
08-21-2013, 12:39 PM
I'd try reinstalling it over the top of itself - assuming the installer doesn't whine. LW these days has more complex runtime dependencies than used to be the case and that might not be helping. If you have 3rd party plugins installed, moving them out of the way (in case of autoscan issues - the default) might be helpful.

Skonk
08-21-2013, 01:03 PM
The problem with reinstalling is that it wont remove/remake the config files and it's usually b0rked config files that cause the problems.

So reinstalling will often NOT fix the problem.

@DHudson : The .cfg files you listed do appear to be the ones that need deleting though, so I would suggest deleting those and try launching lightwave again (make sure the hub is closed whene you delete the files).

Snosrap
08-21-2013, 02:12 PM
There was no NewTek folder in the user folder (with or without the dot before the word NewTek). I did find a folder called NewTek by going to- C: > Program Files > NewTek.

Edit:
I just found these files sitting loose in the C: > Users: > (user name) folder
LW9-64.CFG
LWEXT9-64.CFG
LWFBA-64.CFG
LWHUB9-64.CFG
LWM9-64.CFG
lwpc_edgebevel.cfg
lwpc_segsscaleselect.cfg

Those are LW 9.6 cfgs. So thats the wrong place. Starting with version 10 user cfgs are stored in C:\Users\UserName\.NewTek\LightWave\10.0

DHudson
08-21-2013, 02:49 PM
I deleted the config files and LightWave is back in order for me.

Thank you all, this has always been an awesome supportive community.