PDA

View Full Version : Makes you wonder

Rich Deustachio
11-12-2003, 11:06 PM
Not putting down NewTek because I love my VT3, but when you look at what a $99 program can do it makes me wonder why we can't have these features on the VT3.

For Example:

Auto Scene detection

Integrated DVD creation

Audio sweetening

This program also has adjustable transition effects which also work on alpha channeled clips as well as features we have like batch capture, storyboard/timeline mode, realtime editing.

MAGIX MOVIE EDIT PRO 2004 (http://europe.magix.com/index.php?id=411)

vanguard
11-13-2003, 09:27 AM
*Tap* *Tap* *Tap* is this thing on?

That $99 dollar whoopie prolly edits AVIs and QTs...

POOR QUALITY....

Grrrrr.... resist......

Ahem, I HATE DVD QUALITY.

The artifacting in all MPG based compression is so very noticable it makes me want to BARF!

rant...... stop.... help......

AVIs are (strangle, applied by Microsquash lawyers) simply swell.... IF YOU DONT MIND FUZZY, JERKY..... Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt....

Ahh, much better now.

The $$$ you paid for the VT3 allow you un-precedented quality for your $$$ instead of your $$$$$$$$$$$$ for the competing Avid and is insidious annual service contract (that everybody forgets when comparing apples to VT3s).

If you dislike the interface, and the available options, I'll give you $125 for yours and you can buy the $99 whoopie and keep the $26.

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt.....

Seriously, its VERY HARD to write code for high quality video products. The numeric throughput is truly staggering.

I'm not saying any boob with a visual BASIC background could write a competant AVI and QT editor, but with those much smaller bandwidth "signals", it sure has to be easier.

End of Rant, and Electroshock treatment....

Jim_C
11-13-2003, 09:57 AM
LOL Jerry...

Get the big Indian to throw the water fountain thru the window and make your escape.
Can you hear the machinery from down below?
hahaha

Tell us how you really feel.
:D

But c'mon you've got to admit some audio sweetening tools would be cool.

Off to Nurse Ratchet.

jim

;)

Bobt
11-13-2003, 10:23 AM
Jim as they say..
Coming from a plugin maker like me.
EQ,Compression, and maybe a limiter.

Rich Deustachio
11-13-2003, 10:35 AM
OK I see you missed the point.

I am not trying to compare the VT3 to this product, but my point is that this low end consumer grade editor has many of the FEATURES that we really need on the VT3. I am not saying the quality of the picture will be as good, or even implying that I would like to replace my VT3 with a $99 program. But if you look at all of the features this low end product give it's users it's not such a bad deal for the money.

Many pro-grade products allow custom adjustments on transition effects and can do 3D warp effects on overlays and have auto scene detect and decent audio tweaking. This list of features is a very old one from way back in th VT2 beta days and we still haven't seen then in VT3. One thing that I hope isn't holding back NewTek from including some of these features is tha fact that VT3 is a live switcher. If we limit the power of VT3 to what it can do in a live situation, we will never get more features in the editor. I my opininon this is what made the Trinity go under and I wouldn't want to see that happen to the VT3.

Bobt
11-13-2003, 10:48 AM
For $99 do you get a storyboard editing inteface
that ties into the timeline?
Do you get a switcher? How about a
Waveform monitor/Vector Scope?
Arent those basics in tv production as well?

Who else provides you with 3 ways to edit.
I understand the frustration and sometimes the
feeling of being overwhelmed by new tools that
seem to have more but thats only because you
have been given so much already.
Look T3 Comes with LW and lets not forget
Aura. And it also comes with a boat load of
DVE's that no one has as far as I can tell.
So there is a lot of art you can provide.
Yeah there is the lack of this and that.
Cant argue things can always get better.
I hope that I can fill a few of those holes so you can
have the this and that.
If you need something that you believe is a must have
let me know. I will see if its possible. Who knows.

Bob

Jim Capillo
11-13-2003, 11:21 AM
Not unlike the Amiga version of Toaster/Flyer, there were a few things lacking then that are now missing on the VT[3]. Aussie stepped in back then and plugged the gaps, and while he hasn't been as visible this time around (since he's under the NT umbrella now ;) ), other TPD like Bob T. are about to step up to the plate with plug-ins, effects and more.

Let's face it - VT[3] has been a HUGE programming development undertaking. To get the software stable all the while adding user suggested improvements has undoubtedly taxed the programming guys to the max. Just look at the number of builds they have released in the last 6 months. These guys have been totally dedicated to rid the software of bugs. Rich mentions the Trinity..... in comparison, check out what Globalstreams has released for patches - 2 or 3 max - in well over a year and a half, and if you look at the list of fixes/improvements for each of those releases, you'll see very few things listed. Still think we've got it bad? Avid? You've got to wait 'till they're damned good and ready before they release anything, and then you've got very little input on what they do release.

Honestly, no buttkissing here - with VT[3], I've got a great bunch of tools that I can blow away most of the competition around here with. Perfect? No, but what app is? The things I can't do with VT[3], I do outboard with other stuff.

Let's cut Andrew and his team a bit of slack and see what VT[4] brings in the spring.

I'm betting we'll all be happy......

ted
11-13-2003, 12:59 PM
Rich, I've known you for a long time and understand you're just throwing this out there, not bashing anyone or anything.

It IS amazing what many of these $50-$200 programs can do.
I remember when Michael Jackson's "morphing" video was the production craze. Now you can do it with a $49 program or even freeware.

It's easy though to create a program that does a few things well. As soon as you start adding multiple duties as the VT system does, the difficulties are multiplied many times.
Last night I was going over the manuals and was again blown away at not only what the VT can do, but how many different ways there are to do or view the same thing.

Nothing comes close.

vanguard
11-13-2003, 01:16 PM
Tis true some audio sweetning would be , er... ah... sweet.....

LOL to those that got the joke.

JB