PDA

View Full Version : System Question

Hetar
03-04-2003, 04:06 PM
I'm trying to build my own system for a Video Toaster and have put together the following - could you all let me know if it will work and how well it will work. I would greatly appreciate any help. Should you wish to email me, you may - [email protected]

Thanks again! Here are the stats:

Cchaintech 7kDD AMD Server Motherboard w/ 2 IDE RAID connectors

ATI Radeon 8500LE 64MB DDR Graphics card

Allied 400W Power Supply ATX400P4 w/two fans

Intel Pro/100 Network Adapter

Dual Athlon MP 2000 1.67 GHz processsors

Kingston DDRAM 1 GB ECC REgistered

System Drive / WD EIDE 20 GB 7200 RPM

Video Drives / Maxtor 80 GB 7200 RPM IDE ULTRA ATA133 with RAID

Pioneer DVR

Faraz
03-04-2003, 04:21 PM
I don't think Toaster 3 will support your system due to the fact that the current line of AMD processors aren't compatible with T3. I don't know about your choice of graphics card either, I don't have experiance with it. I do know that Nvidia based cards work very well. Of course consider SCSI drives, as they are the safest solution but IDE will probably work. Oh one more thing, consider a local dealer. Just consider.

ScorpioProd
03-04-2003, 04:22 PM
You might want to consider an Intel P4 or P4 Xeon solution.

The announced specs for T[3] which will be out in a couple months REQUIRES the SSE2 instruction set, which is in the P4, P4 XEON and forthcoming AMD Opteron.

SSE2 is NOT in the current AMD Athlon XP or Athlon MP CPUs.

wvp
03-04-2003, 09:03 PM
I would second the notion that you go with a dealer. These people will sell you a system based on your budget & needs. Best of all the system will work and when you have problem they will help you in more ways than you will ever think. The profit they will make will be mostly from being able to buy the componets at less than what you would pay yourself.
Having said that, if you want to do it yourself:
GO to the Toaster page & check out the system recommendations that Paul has listed. DO NOT DEVIATE FROM THESE!!
At this point if you care at all about the upcomming version, stick with a Intel P4 or xeon motherboard & chipset. If you go IDE for video drives, use the escalade controller & buy the fastest drives you can afford.
FYI, I recently purchased a replacment computer from Video Hardware Services (videohardware.com), ready to go w/o video drives or Toaster stuff for less than $2500 (I'll let them give you an exact quote) and it is a pretty loaded computer

ted
03-04-2003, 09:43 PM
A lot of that stuff sounds like trouble brewing.
I strongly recommend a dealer as many here do. If you're that far off base, you need a lot more knowledge.

I don't say this to sound like a jerk, but because I don't want to see you pulling your hair out and throwing away money on components that you'll eventually replace to get a smooth running system.

Most problems on this forum are from non-recommended components.

I wish you well, and again, I recommend a dealer that will possibly SAVE you money and days or weeks of down time.

Paul Lara
03-06-2003, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by Hetar
[B]I'm trying to build my own system for a Video Toaster and have put together the following
Cchaintech 7kDD AMD Server Motherboard

Why would you go AMD? Will that support the upcoming Opteron CPU's? Otherwise, it's not advised.

ATI Radeon 8500LE 64MB DDR Graphics card

Not advised. Stick with nVidia-based graphics cards.

Dual Athlon MP 2000 1.67 GHz processsors

Again, Toaster [3] will need Pentium 4, Xeon, or Opteron.

Hetar
03-14-2003, 01:09 AM
Thanks for your help on this one guys, it has given me some definite direction on where I am going with this Toaster system (probably to a dealer).

ted
03-14-2003, 01:46 AM
Good call Hetar.
This will probably result in you asking, how to do things with your Toaster, instead of how to fix problems!;)

GoceN
03-14-2003, 07:43 AM
Hetar
I have my VT on Asus AMD A7V8X motherboard witx Athlon 2000+ XP procesor and 1G DDR RAM
Matrox G550 Dual graphic card
and 4x80 Gb Maxtor 133 wit 8M cash IDE drives
and 1x30 Gb Western Digital System drive
and my VT works just fine, its stable and its very responsible, I have 4 real time tracks of Uncompresed video and its going like butter.
So my point is that until you tried you will not know how your VT will vork.