PDA

View Full Version : Installing new 11.6 release: how?

Spinland
08-20-2013, 06:34 AM
This is new ground for me. Installing new LW versions on my Macs has been simple because they go into a new folder structure. Now I'm presuming this new pre-release of 11.6 will have the same structure as the old.

Do I uninstall the old, or can I just re-install over it?

Many thanks in advance!

lardbros
08-20-2013, 06:44 AM
I'd uninstall before you reinstall... it will go into the same folder structure, but I always uninstall, just in case something goes wonky.

Backup your configs though, although they should stay put if they're in the My Documents folder.

I noticed they'd posted a new version yesterday... no Alembic support any longer? Why's it not in the manual?

3dworks
08-20-2013, 07:27 AM
my tip: i'm creating a new folder for each version, like "LW1160" and then use custom configs ("Preferences" folder inside application folder on macs) - this way it's easy to go back to the previous version in case you will find some issues with new builds. once a build is stable, just zip the folder, and you have a backup installation ready to be unpackaged as needed... also, i keep all my third party scripts and plugins in an external "LWPLUGS" folder, makes maintenance easier than caring internal standard plugins folders...

Spinland
08-20-2013, 07:32 AM
Thanks guys--and @3dworks, that's how I do my preferences and plugins, too. I've decided to rename the existing 11.6 folder and then install to the "new" default so, as you say, I have both builds available in case I need them, just as I do with full releases (I have multiple full installs going back to 10.0 still in place, though at some point I might cull some of the older ones).

Thanks again!

Eagle66
08-21-2013, 04:48 PM
Well, installing LW new Versions is always horrible and time consuming...

Every new Version you loose all your personal settings, Menu, Tabs, presets, applinks for 3DCoat, TFD, etc. You have to re-register all payed plugins and move all other to the new folder structure. You have install and register LW Cad again, load Settings, branches, Menu and arrange them again as before. All Save Paths Structure in Plugins or rendersettings are reset to the defaults.

Houdini for examples is a ONE Click Update with Auto migration of every personal setting. I update this programm every two Weeks in 2 Minutes....

I hope LW anytime supports an user-friendly Update!!!!

3DGFXStudios
08-22-2013, 03:25 AM
What the installer should ask is if you want to copy your old settings and UI and stuff like that to the new installation. I've no problem installing new version. It only takes a minute or 2.
I import all the menu's into the new version and copy all the licenses and config files in to the newly created dir in the user dir. And of course the plugins to the plugins folder.

After updating my workstation it takes 5 seconds to update the whole renderfarm. tada.

Eagle66
08-25-2013, 01:31 PM
Is this right after installation LW 11.6 you can copy / overwrite all .cfg files and folders from ..\Users\name\.NewTek\LightWave\11.5 to the new 11.6 folder?

I thought the NEW .cfg files includes also new Menus from new features the new version?