PDA

View Full Version : Component Cameras are "dying". How does it affect Tricaster 40 life-cycle?

Helder Conde
08-19-2013, 03:01 PM
Hi.

We've been using Tricaster 40 with some very nice prosumer cameras by Canon (XA10 and GF10). These cameras have Component outputs.

However, I noticed that some newer flagship prosumer cameras that have just been lauched in the past year by brands such as Panasonic, Canon and JVC do *not* have component outputs anymore. They provide only HDMI or AV (composite) outputs. This leads me to believe that this is a definite trend and soon (in a couple of years or less) we'll possibly have difficulties in finding component cameras.

I do believe that Tricaster 40 fills a gap for those who need good HD quality, but don't need (or cannot afford) SDI gear. However, it seems that in a near future, SDI will be our only option, which will greatly increase costs for lower-end producers.

Am I missing something? Would HDMI-to-component converters be a viable option (concerning quality, AV delay, etc) to remain using Tricaster 40 in the long run, with cheaper (and, believe me, very decent quality) prosumer cameras?

I'd really appreciate your inputs about this.

Thanks in advance,

Helder

Helder Conde
08-19-2013, 03:15 PM
Just an additional information: I'm aware that Roland is about to launch a product named VR-50HD (http://www.roland.com/products/en/VR-50HD/) which will have multi-HDMI inputs, along with composite, component, SDI. This would allow the usage of those prosumer cameras with HDMI-only HD outputs, along with some other "higher end features" such as SDI, at a quite affordable price.

Does anyone know NewTek's plans about providing HDMI inputs in future generations of Tricaster? This is possibly something they're looking into at this moment... I'd love to see those capabilites on Tricaster!

Thanks!

Helder

Ben Freedman
08-19-2013, 03:15 PM
I understand there's a big annoucement coming soon from Newtek. Maybe it's a TC40 with HDMI inputs?

Best,

Ben

Helder Conde
08-19-2013, 03:20 PM
That's quite interesting...

Any ideas about how soon in "soon"? Anyone knows when they are expecting to deliver those news?

Thanks!

Helder

Ben Freedman
08-19-2013, 03:21 PM
I heard Sept 4th, but I could be wrong...

Best,

Ben

kricher
08-19-2013, 05:17 PM
Hdmi to component converters can be had for $50 and work just fine.

JPulera
08-26-2013, 10:23 AM
Sept. 4 Newtek announcement - http://newtek.com/news-events/newsroom/press-releases/828-press-release-leo-laporte-to-host-newtek-founder-and-cto-on-special-live-twit-tv-episode.html

swsslp
08-26-2013, 12:28 PM
I heard Sept 4th, but I could be wrong...

Best,

Ben

Can you let me know what brand and where to buy them? All I have come up with is the Black Magic mini convertor.

Thanks,
Steve

JPulera
08-26-2013, 01:32 PM
Go to Amazon and search "hdmi to component converter"

These for some reason are not popular enough for Black Magic and other brand-names to produce, but many versions from China out there

Jeff

kricher
08-26-2013, 06:10 PM
Warning!! Not all HDMI to component converters are created equal! The first ones I purchased did not work with 1080i. I sent them back to Amazon and purchased the Kanex Pro HDRGBRL models and they work perfectly.

focalpp
08-27-2013, 05:26 AM
I use Blackmagic mini converters on 3 of the 4 inputs on my TC 40. And another on the output (component to SDI to feed an Atomos Blade and Blackmagic Ultrastudio express. I purchased almost all of the converters on Ebay from $120-$220.