PDA

View Full Version : texture displacement to give more detail

drfoley
08-19-2013, 12:11 PM
Is it possible to take a texture on a character's mesh and use that to create a displacement that will give the mesh more detail?

For example I have a character I put a photo of elephant skin on. There are several wrinkles with their shadows on the photo. Can I create a displacement of this photo on the character's mesh to give more details?

Thanks,
David

jasonwestmas
08-19-2013, 12:47 PM
well it would be better if the photo of the skin was 16- 32 bit float to begin with. But yeah you can convert it to a 16-bit tiff greyscale and use that to displace geometry.

JohnMarchant
08-19-2013, 12:54 PM
The better subdivided the mesh, the better the displacement. The higher the resolution photo the better the displacement as well.

Trade off will be the size of the mesh, i tried this some time ago with a head. Had great textures, ran them through shadermap and had good, normal and displacement maps, but really needed to subdivide the mesh allot. Maybe Denis's micro displacement plugin can help.

The secret is to only have the greatest subdivision where it is actually needed and where its smoother have less subdivision.

Do you have ZBrush or something similar.

drfoley
08-19-2013, 01:43 PM
Jason: How do I convert it to a 16-bit tiff greyscale?

John: What is Shadermap? I was hoping to avoid Zbrush. The learning curve for that is so big.

Thanks,
Dave

JohnMarchant
08-19-2013, 02:11 PM
Shadermap 2.

http://shadermap.com/home/

Very good at creating, Amb Occ, Normal, Displacement and Bump Maps. Be aware the better the image the better the result, but lots of tweaking options.

Have you tried sculptris then, smaller learning curve but not as detailed as ZBrush. Its from pixelogic as well and its free, free is good.

zardoz
08-20-2013, 06:45 AM
always note that a bump/displacement map isn't a simple greyscale pic. You can't simply convert a color map to greyscale and use it in the bump or displacement channel. well you can but it isn't the most correct way to do it. And it might even enhance the results and get more detail, but remembre that a displacement map is a height map, which is different of converting a color pic to a greyscale.

jasonwestmas
08-20-2013, 09:48 AM
I would try converting the image to 16-bit greyscale in photoshop or photoline (an imaging program with 16-bit float capabilities). Remember in lightwave that black is zero displacement and white is full displacement when tweaking your grey image. You would probably get the best results tweaking with levels and paint correcting in 16 bpc mode and not 8-bpc mode.

I would also encourage you to learn some basics in 3DCoat or Zbrush and just use your skin image as an alpha with a drag brush to create a real displacement.

jwiede
08-21-2013, 12:06 PM
Remember in lightwave that black is zero displacement and white is full displacement when tweaking your grey image.

I thought the default displacement range translation included "negative displacement"?

jasonwestmas
08-21-2013, 03:27 PM
I thought the default displacement range translation included "negative displacement"?

It's only called negative displacement if you are using a tiff texture from zbrush where 50% grey is no displacement and black is negative displacement. In which case we subtract .5 from the greyscale values to bring the 50% grey down to black. So really it's just symantics I guess.

jasonwestmas
08-21-2013, 03:36 PM
I believe there is a setting in zbrush now that allows us to create a black=no displacement texture. Eliminating the need for a single subtract node. lol