PDA

View Full Version : NEW VIDEO: Unity3D for LightWave3D Users Volume 2

ConjureBunny
08-18-2013, 08:18 PM
Unity3D has over a million registered users, and 300,000 monthly active users. The most common complaint though is "developer art".

That's where you come in.

There's a ton of free or cheap 3D art out there already. What Unity users are willing to pay for for is custom art, ESPECIALLY if you can demonstrate that you know your way around the tools!

This video series shows you everything you need to know to get your models and animations into Unity from LightWave, and introduces you to all of the core concepts in Unity, as well as a little Mechanim animation and programming. It also has the rigging tricks and a few key things you need to know that will save you a ton of time trying to get Unity and LightWave to behave together.

http://www.liberty3d.com/2013/08/intro-to-unity3d-for-lightwave3d-users/

(This is similar to the previous version I made, but now it's updated for LightWave 11.5.1 and Unity 4.2, and this time, I don't have a cold).

And please let me know if there are any specific topics you'd like me to cover in the future!
I use Unity and LightWave every day, and if you've hit a wall, there's a good chance I know how to get around it. So just ask :)

-Chilton

tyrot
08-19-2013, 12:58 PM
great news ! - i ll buy it ASAP!

ConjureBunny
08-19-2013, 01:38 PM
Seriously, you wouldn't believe the amount of crap I've seen passed off as art lately. I would love nothing more than to see a massive surge of LightWave users take over the game art scene. It's almost like 95% of the good art is made by 5% of the artists, and the rest is pretty crap.

I am NOT an artist. I aspire to be, and I study other artists' work like mad. But most of the people here could run circles around me. I've had the pleasure of working with some fantastic LightWave artists recently, and I'd love to see more of that. So I'm hoping this video helps get more people into the pipeline.

There's a lot of money to be made in game art, for decent artists.

-Chilton

VonBon
08-19-2013, 02:31 PM
Do you mean more along the lines of "Rigged" Artwork?

ConjureBunny
08-19-2013, 02:57 PM
Oh no, all of it.

I've helped out on just under 30 Unity based projects this summer, and across the board the artwork is the weak link. I think out of all of those apps/sims/games/AR/whatsits I've had to tweak the art on all but two. There's this assumption that if it looks good in a render, it will look good in a game, and that never seems to be the case.

Skonk
08-20-2013, 04:01 AM
Payday this Friday so I may have to snaffle this one.

Need to get into using Unity for what I'm doing at work this year.

ConjureBunny
08-20-2013, 10:05 AM
Awesome. There's a lot of money to be made in the game industry right now. The more LightWave users are in that list, the better!

-Chilton

dwburman
08-21-2013, 11:19 AM
I need lots of money. We should talk. ;)

tyrot
11-27-2013, 07:55 PM
These Unity Video Tutorials simply MUST HAVE. Anybody who deals with unity (and newbee like me) will benefit immensely. I just wanted to thank Chilton for doing a great job ...publicly:)

And waiting for more...

Just a question/even a job offer: Is there any Unity user who can deploy a Windows Based -Unity ArchViz Project to IPhone or Ipad? I am about to complete an archviz walkthrough - but client wanted to play in his IOS devices... Is this very hard process? Should i buy a MacMini and dive into IOS developing nightmare or should ask help from fellow Lightwave / Unity users..

For a guy like me - MACfree- everything related to mac is a nightmare:(

bazsa73
11-27-2013, 08:21 PM
Hi Tyrot,
http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/Manual/iphone-GettingStarted.html

Danner
11-28-2013, 05:53 AM
The process can be frustrating, you need to set up a few things first, buy a developer account, set up provisioning profiles, create aplication IDs, select certificates.. Then fight Xcode to compile and submit the app and pray that Apple approves it.

Yes, it can be nightmarish. We've created 7 apps with the same functionality (different content showcasing client's facilities) and sometimes when we submit them they get rejected by apple.. We have tried to appeal and they get rejected again. We rename them, re-submit and they get approved... If Apple stops approving them completely we are in trouble.

There is another "licence" that bypasses the app store but it's expensive and limited.

Tzan
11-28-2013, 10:13 AM
I made a snow shovel and put it on the Unity store back in April.
I sold one. Yeah its just a shovel, I was testing the waters of the store.
Pretty much anything you do wont be what most people want.

I'm a bit hesitant to put an advert in the forums because so many people want stuff for free.
Or essentially at a minimum wage price.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10454876/Transformer/Shovel_Unity.jpg

zapper1998
11-28-2013, 11:56 AM
nice shovel.. by the way..

:)

tyrot
11-28-2013, 11:59 AM
thanks danner - I was reading about it - oh boy...

chikega
11-28-2013, 02:27 PM
I remember briefly learning this feature from SplineGod years ago and how he used it on some tv show he was working on. I believe he used it on a flying bat or dragon creature of some sort. This manual along with the LibertyTraining looks like a really solid foundation in this long-neglected sleeper of a feature. :)