PDA

View Full Version : Changing Layout's UI

Matelot13
08-18-2013, 07:59 AM
Hello

I've installed LW 11.6 on my laptop (Windows 7) - I would like to change the width of the left hand vertical menu bar, which is really too narrow, where can I do that ?
I thought it was with the Hub, but I can't open it... The two apps are connected, so it works..

Thanks in advance for any help...

JonW
08-18-2013, 02:26 PM
You can have it on the left, right or off (which is good for more real estate but you need to know your key shortcuts really well) but you cannot change the width.

Matelot13
08-18-2013, 02:37 PM
Ah OK, thanks.. Well that's too bad. It's like the properties windows, you can't resize them...

tcoursey
08-19-2013, 12:33 PM
Yep, it's one of those beloved things we DEAL with continually since LW's inception. While many other apps cruise by on revamped modern UI's! Non model dialogs, snapping modules, resizeable etc..etc. As the saying always goes, maybe in LW(Insert next version here).

JohnMarchant
08-19-2013, 02:17 PM
Yes the UI does need some attention, but i think and im going out on a limb here as i dont work for NT, we wont see any changes like this until and if LW Layout and Modeler are unified.

tcoursey
08-19-2013, 02:21 PM
Yes the UI does need some attention, but i think and im going out on a limb here as i dont work for NT, we wont see any changes like this until and if LW Layout and Modeler are unified.

agree. and I'm going out on a limb, I like many others hope that the unified app comes sooner rather than later. If for no other reason than new comers feel more at home with a modern like app. It just feels so old to new comers that don't know of all the power under the hood....

JohnMarchant
08-19-2013, 03:22 PM
Its no biggie to have a unified application that allows you to chance to a Modeler UI and a Layout UI, that could not be to hard. Its possible to run LW twice so you can have one on Layout and one on Modeler. The problem will be getting them to talk and totally interact with each other.

I can see the arguments for both sides on this and to be honest i don't really care which way it goes. The only thing i don't want is a screen full of icons. I kind if like the descriptive buttons. It would be nice to resize all screens and windows and also use different font sizes.

tcoursey
08-19-2013, 03:27 PM
Yea I don't think the whole unified app has anything to do with switching between UI's seamlessly. It's more about the actual model commands and the animating commands talking together. As for a UI itself, I think Blender is a nice mix of icons and lot's of text input styles like LW currently. They have tons of neat UI creativity options. Would love to tear a new view inside modeler or layout, combine tabs into one etc..etc.. If you haven't checked out Blender in a while you might do so. I hope LW3DG is headed in that direction for UI...

JohnMarchant
08-20-2013, 12:03 AM
See now for me Blender is a horrendous UI, ive seen many people using LW complain about Blender UI, because to us used to using LW its so alien. Its a must at the moment for LW users who want fluid sim at a free price to learn Blender. Ive tried several times but could not get comfortable with it. That is of course my fault not Blenders.

tcoursey
08-20-2013, 06:58 AM
ok, I'll go there with ya. Blender isn't "overall the best" by any stretch. But what I do like is the ability to slide panels that are DOCKED into place (attached to the adjoining panel) or remove it and be free and undocked. Tear a new window from an existing, don't have to choose from 8 1x2- 2x2 - 1-3 etc..etc.. pre-defined constraining options. Those are the things I think most people want. I would love to see those things implemented to the existing clean interface of LW. I and many don't want icons and a bunch of clutter. We just want an engine for the UI that allows more flexibility.

JohnMarchant
08-20-2013, 07:02 AM
ok, I'll go there with ya. Blender isn't "overall the best" by any stretch. But what I do like is the ability to slide panels that are DOCKED into place (attached to the adjoining panel) or remove it and be free and undocked. Tear a new window from an existing, don't have to choose from 8 1x2- 2x2 - 1-3 etc..etc.. pre-defined constraining options. Those are the things I think most people want. I would love to see those things implemented to the existing clean interface of LW. I and many don't want icons and a bunch of clutter. We just want an engine for the UI that allows more flexibility.

Totally agree mate, however dont think this will happen until the UI is unified and thats not going to happen any time soon. On the upside the Hub seems, well to me anyway, a little more stable than before, indeed LW in general seems to be quite stable. Anyway if your on 11, get downloading there is a new 11.6 just released.