PDA

View Full Version : Make compounds to work like referenced Functions.

probiner
08-17-2013, 11:35 PM
def normalize(a):
low=max(a)
high=min(a)
a = [i - low for i in a]
a = [i * (1/(high-low)) for i in a]
return a

This is a very basic python script where a function is defined to normalize values in a list. Now imagine I made a mistake on my code, I change the function and now every function call will receive the fix.

The new compounds are not referenced, so if I update something, I can't just save it, version it and have it update across any Node Editor, Object and Scene files, where it's used.
You could still open any compound and change it, making it local. It's only when you save, that the replacement effect takes place.

There's a lot of things that I think that one should be able to reference, and override in LW for better management. Same thing could happen say for example to Surfaces, with srf files, where you could just override an object's material or have a surface referring to a .srf file. So you could update surfaces along many objects in a project without to manually have to open and look for each file that uses that surface to fix it. Or say make an Ambient Occlusion or a Reflecting Material and override all objects or scene with it for render.

Cheers

Tobian
08-19-2013, 08:56 AM
I have been asking for surface referencing for a very long time! non-local compounds would, I believe, e a huge asset to workflow for LW. pre-baked compound presets, where the information is entirely referenced, so if you change one copy, you change them all...