PDA

View Full Version : Camera movement in the viewport confuses me

Sebasvideo
08-17-2013, 07:38 PM
Hi, is there a way to move the camera when in camera view that is like when you move the point of view in the perspective mode? An option, script, hack, etc? It just confuses me that it moves in a different way in each view, but probably because I'm used to Modo, which is about the same, except for a distance setting in the camera properties that sets the target point around which the camera rotates.

Ryan Roye
08-17-2013, 07:58 PM
In LW 11.6 you can move the viewport and there should be an option to match the camera to it. Otherwise, you need a plugin to match the camera to the viewport.

dwburman
08-17-2013, 10:03 PM
You can add a null to the scene and parent the camera to the null then when you rotate the null the camera goes with it. If the null is in the center of the world and the camera is out from it it will sweep around a bit like the perspective view... but that navigation is still different from the other views.

LightWave was built so that the camera mimics a camera in the real world. It moves like a camera on a tripod. You slide it around (truck left and right, dolly in and out), rotate (pan left and right, tilt up and down), moving it up and down (pedestal up and down) and rotating on its side requires a right click. This makes perfect sense to someone like me who has operated cameras in TV and video, but might feel odd if you're coming from an app where you're detached from real world constraints.

Maybe thinking of it operating in the real world will help you. Maybe not.

Maya's camera action was a bit confusing for me at first because I'm so used to LightWave.

Like Ryan said, there's a new feature in LW11.6 that lets you position the perspective view however you like and then move your camera to match the perspective view.

Sebasvideo
08-19-2013, 05:22 AM
LightWave was built so that the camera mimics a camera in the real world. It moves like a camera on a tripod. You slide it around (truck left and right, dolly in and out), rotate (pan left and right, tilt up and down), moving it up and down (pedestal up and down) and rotating on its side requires a right click. This makes perfect sense to someone like me who has operated cameras in TV and video, but might feel odd if you're coming from an app where you're detached from real world constraints.

I've been operating cameras for years, but still I find this way rather confusing and frustrating. For starters, in the real world, if I want to walk around an object while keeping the camera on it I can. The LW way I can do that only if I'm in perspective view. In camera view I can only choose between moving or rotating the camera. In perspective view (or also camera view in Modo) I can rotate but set the pivot point, which in effect it's kind of like rotating and moving at the same time, unless the pivot point is at the center of the camera. In Lightwave, the pivot point is always at the center of the camera and can't be moved.

BTW, is there a shortcut to match the camera to perspective?

JohnMarchant
08-19-2013, 06:14 AM
At top of layout within the viewport to the right of where you select display mode here is a drop down menu for a few things, bone xray, display dof, headlight etc. You will find a way down a match perspective with option for new camera, selected camera etc.

JonW
08-19-2013, 06:23 AM
Do you need a "3dConnexion" or similar?

Then you can move the camera around anyway you want.

djwaterman
08-19-2013, 06:42 AM
Even though it got answered I'll repeat it so it sinks in. Yes you can match perspective to a camera, use the menu that has bone weight shade and bone X-ray view, and further down that list is the match camera to perspective view. Either to the current camera or a new one that will get created. This is a relatively new thing.

pinkmouse
08-19-2013, 06:45 AM
I quite like Johan's Camera Rig (http://www.artstorm.net/journal/2011/10/camera-rig-lightwave-3d/).

JohnMarchant
08-19-2013, 08:44 AM
I quite like Johan's Camera Rig (http://www.artstorm.net/journal/2011/10/camera-rig-lightwave-3d/).

Yes its a very good rig ive used it a few times.

dwburman
08-19-2013, 09:51 AM
For the circling around bit, I'll sometimes add a null and target the camera at it in motion options.

But that's more of a rigging thing than a navigation thing.

But this is an area in LightWave that can and maybe should be reevaluated. It works for some people, but not everyone.

tcoursey
08-19-2013, 12:38 PM
Hi, is there a way to move the camera when in camera view that is like when you move the point of view in the perspective mode? An option, script, hack, etc? It just confuses me that it moves in a different way in each view, but probably because I'm used to Modo, which is about the same, except for a distance setting in the camera properties that sets the target point around which the camera rotates.

Ironic, I find that other apps (modo) confuse me! I have gotten so use to the way that LW moves around with it's Camera it's second nature to me. I feel like I'm "moving" the camera around and rotating my head around to aim it..very natural for me.

Although I would agree that if it were easy to implement we need an option/script or hack as you state it to allow for other methods. Let's not box ourselves in here. We want to feel natural to all lw users.

tcoursey
08-19-2013, 01:02 PM

Whoa, that's cool. I'm downloading to check it out. Now I can feel like a real DP in Hollywood. Rigs Jibs and more!

bobakabob
08-19-2013, 04:07 PM
For the circling around bit, I'll sometimes add a null and target the camera at it in motion options.

But that's more of a rigging thing than a navigation thing.

But this is an area in LightWave that can and maybe should be reevaluated. It works for some people, but not everyone.

Agree, this is a really simple but very effective technique to get that Perspective viewport feel. Targetting the camera at a null also gives you great flexibility in animation.

Sebasvideo
08-19-2013, 05:22 PM
Ironic, I find that other apps (modo) confuse me! I have gotten so use to the way that LW moves around with it's Camera it's second nature to me. I feel like I'm "moving" the camera around and rotating my head around to aim it..very natural for me.

It's very logical, everybody always finds easier what they're used to do, the software they're used to, and get confused with the software they don't use as often. It's like the way to move around in perspective view, which luckily Modo and LW share in great part with some differences, but basically Alt+Shift and left mouse button moves the point of view, except that in LW up and down does a different thing than in Modo, and in LW you have to press the RMB to get the same you get in Modo with the LMB button, no big deal. Ctrl+Alt + LMB zooms, and Alt+LMB pans and tilts around. Whenever I try to use Blender (an app I hate for many reasons) I go crazy trying to navigate. I'm so used to these keyboard combinations that sometimes I'm in Photoshop or After Effects and I do Ctrl+Alt+LMB to zoom or the combination to move and I end up duplicating layers or making some other mess, simply because I spend like 90% of the time I'm at the computer in Modo, and now part of that in LW.

prometheus
08-20-2013, 10:04 AM
I might just be repeating some things already said here..anyway.

Yes...in lighwave 11.6 ..not the earlier versions, you can use the match perspective to selected camera or new camera, with the display options in the viewports
Thereīs also a plugin doing similar cant recall that one though.

Otherwise as mentioned...simply add a null object and place it where you want to look at, select your camera and hit "m" for motion, and select the null as your camera target.
I generally name the null as camtarget 1 when I create it to keep track of it, when you move your camera you can dolly arount that target, Camera pitch,bank,heading controls wont work since that is locked to the null and how you
move the cam, you can also move the null to change target focus.

Thereīs also a script somewhere a guy did on my requests specificly, that actually setīs this up automaticly, canīt recall it...it should be posted up on the forums, Iīll get back to that if I find it.
The Lightwave team should consider building this in to the cam options ..that would be a simple check box like ..use/add camtarget next to some camera options, or simply when creating a camera, have an additional add
target camera.
I know 3d max have had that for ages.

Michael

prometheus
08-20-2013, 10:44 AM
Heres a free script from xchrisx ...thanks to him you can edit your menus and add this to/under the add camera menu, Cp_NewCamera.
It will setup the camera to target a null a little faster, just run the script and you get the requester then its done.

Thread...
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?129241-Any-script-with-Add-camera-with-camera-target-premade

Direct link to the free script...tested in lw 11.6 32 bit only.
http://www.chrisepeterson.com/ls/cp_newcamera.zip

the old match camera to perspective view plugin if you donīt have lw 11.6...
https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/pviewmc/