PDA

View Full Version : Rotating UV Chunks numerically

IgorPosavec
08-16-2013, 02:56 PM
Hello everybody

sorry for the stupid questions, but can't solve it alone (got a bit rusty in last 10 years without using LW)

In the UV Edit view, how can i rotate a polygon or uv chunk using the numeric controls. I can select object or anything in the view port and rotate it 1,5 but when i select a face in UV Viewport and edit the rotation values in the numerical window, it still rotates the face in the viewport. I mean, it must be something very obvious i miss all time :)
(basically i want to make some major UV edges 90 in the UV panel, and rotating it by hand is terrible - it jerks around and it is always 1 more or less then vertical and horizontal position :)

thanks in advance!
best regards
igor posavec / 3d-io

nickdigital
08-16-2013, 04:22 PM
Unfortunately performing an action through the Numeric panel isn't aware if you want to do it in the UV space or the modeling space. And there's no fine precision with the rotate tool.

XswampyX
08-16-2013, 04:58 PM
You can give your model a new weight map set at 1%, then use the weight map falloff in the numeric panel to give a smaller rotation value when in the UV view.

Hope that makes sense. :D

JoePoe
08-16-2013, 06:54 PM
You can give your model a new weight map set at 1%, then use the weight map falloff in the numeric panel to give a smaller rotation value when in the UV view.

Hope that makes sense. :D

That does make sense! Very nice.

Here's another idea....
It helps if you have an easily identifiable "center" to the section of the polys you want rotated.
Put your cursor over that center and make note of the U and V values in lower left corner.
In the UV, use Transform UV.... enter the center position and then use any uber specific value for the rotation you want. :) (actually I think it rounds off to two decimal places, but that's pretty good.)

IgorPosavec
08-17-2013, 10:26 AM
Hey, this is awesome - in one night already 4 responses! Thanks a lot for your fast feedback!
Basically, as i understand, it is by default without time consuming work-arounds not possible. I have here massive amount of uvs to re-orient, so i think i will need to bring it out lw and back :(

thanks a lot for your quick tips!
best regards

XswampyX
08-17-2013, 11:11 AM
Hey, this is awesome - in one night already 4 responses! Thanks a lot for your fast feedback!
Basically, as i understand, it is by default without time consuming work-arounds not possible. I have here massive amount of uvs to re-orient, so i think i will need to bring it out lw and back :(

thanks a lot for your quick tips!
best regards

I don't think selecting all your geometry and then clicking create weightmap set at 1% is a time consuming work-around.... :) Compared to pretty much anything else you will have to do.