PDA

View Full Version : Tutorials To Create A Sub D Head

Gazlw
08-16-2013, 01:38 PM
Hi,

I am trying to find a good tutorial for creating a subdivision head. There a few about though most are just a speeded up demos with no voiceover which does not show the tools involved.
I want to really start practising this so it would be great to get a few pointers, especially regarding the tools and shortcuts for quickly segmenting polys to add more detail locally. Currently I use the knife tool, but I no thats not the
best tool for the job.
Any pointers would be great.
Thanks.

Waves of light
08-16-2013, 01:46 PM
I'm not at my PC at the moment, but I know I have links to some. in the meantime William Vaughan's book 'digital modelling' has a great step by step head modeling tut.

Spinland
08-16-2013, 02:23 PM
William Vaughan's book 'digital modelling' has a great step by step head modeling tut.

Quoted for agreement. It's also a great reference for a ton of other things. William strove to make the book software agnostic but the examples are LW and everything in the book fits LW workflows. I keep the Kindle version close to hand.

Gazlw
08-16-2013, 03:09 PM
That sound great, I have to check it out on the Kindle, though I do prefer to have a movie tutorial, I recently downloaded Dan Ablans two courses in LW 11 and the 11.5 corse they were really great tons of stuff in them.

prometheus
08-17-2013, 07:33 AM
commercial ...tarons videos...
http://www.tower.com/secrets-organic-modeling-lightwave-techniques-with-taron-dvd/wapi/113075285#product_details

simple tip, quicksaw is good to use, if you select for neighbouring polys and run it or use it on two polys, manual connecting might be necessary with the connect tool etc.
qs double works too, you find them under subdivide/more
selecting two polys use qs term,also works when selecting two edges.

Michael

ernesttx
08-17-2013, 09:47 AM
The DVD looks good, the price however is a bit steep:
Current Price: $3,897.89
Hehe

prometheus
08-17-2013, 10:44 AM
Hehe

Have only seen demoīs from it and some erlier showcase he has done on some videos, heīs funny ..it that helps:) and he has an extremly easy workflow it seems,using very few tools but
making sure they are accessable through good shortcut management or placing them in good menus, the rest is all about being relaxed having a good focus and use the tools to itīs
fullest extent I believe.

But indeed..the price seems expensive, thatīs probably out of his control at those places, I donīt know, formerly it was up on Gnomon workshop, but seems to have been removed for some reason.
such good...older tutorial should be dropped in pricing a little, that would gain more sales and more total income I would think.

hereīs a review of it and some info of what tools used...

http://forums.cgsociety.org/archive/index.php/t-490447.html

hereīs a few other reviews from these forums and some other lw guys...
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?83486-Taron-s-Secrets-of-Organic-Modelling-Essential

Taron galleryīs...
http://www.taron.de/
http://www.cgchannel.com/2010/07/taron/

donīt know how much Lightwave is in Taronīs workflow as of today, I think He must be using z-brush,sculptris pretty much nowadays..and maybe the focus is more on that for the still art he does..since that would probably let him be more creative and fast working regarding detail etc, unless character or other stuff is needed for animation.

Michael

nickdigital
08-17-2013, 11:30 AM
Hehe

The dvd costs more than the software it's showing you how to use! Yikes.

Gazlw
08-17-2013, 12:00 PM
Can find Quick Cut, not Quick Saw.

Gazlw
08-17-2013, 12:06 PM
Actually slice seems really good for adding detail?

Sekhar
08-17-2013, 12:37 PM
I guess he meant $38.97, that's funny...there are few places like Overstock (http://www.overstock.com/Books-Movies-Music-Games/The-Secrets-of-Organic-Modeling-Lightwave-Modeling-Techniques-with-Taron-DVD/3303169/product.html) ($45.59) selling it, looks like.

I have the tut, and Taron does a great job building the head with only a handful of the tools (mostly extend), explaining some basic concepts where possible. However, we now have many new modeling tools (since 11.5), like the amazing tweak for example, that you want to take advantage of rather than sticking to the old stuff.

Did anyone try Gnomon?

djwaterman
08-17-2013, 12:53 PM
Taron's good, but that price is completely insane. Try this as a methodology, put a nice sub-D head model into your background layer and use it as a reference, starting with a polygon patch of say four quads, start dragging points and extending edges and basically copy the background head point for point. Weld points as needed as you go and pretty soon you'll find what tools you'll be comfortable using, when you're done you will have a very good head model even if you pretty much just traced it. But the point is you will learn a whole bunch of tools as you go. However if you can't do it with a piece of clay or a pencil you'll just be a kind of 3D draftsman hammering away. Ive used the above technique with a classroom of students who mostly have no interest in 3D and most of them can work their way through it and turn out a head, of course if they had to do it without a reference head in the background layer they would be lost.

$3000, it must be a typo.

prometheus
08-17-2013, 03:04 PM
Taron's good, but that price is completely insane. Try this as a methodology, put a nice sub-D head model into your background layer and use it as a reference, starting with a polygon patch of say four quads, start dragging points and extending edges and basically copy the background head point for point. Weld points as needed as you go and pretty soon you'll find what tools you'll be comfortable using, when you're done you will have a very good head model even if you pretty much just traced it. But the point is you will learn a whole bunch of tools as you go. However if you can't do it with a piece of clay or a pencil you'll just be a kind of 3D draftsman hammering away. Ive used the above technique with a classroom of students who mostly have no interest in 3D and most of them can work their way through it and turn out a head, of course if they had to do it without a reference head in the background layer they would be lost.

$3000, it must be a typo.

extending and tracing is more of what you could call detail modeling, while box modeling is more approachable with nailing the basic forms first and refining, more like traditional sculpting.
of course the z-brush methods of sculpting is the most traditional way of modeling like scultping, it imposes the need to retopo if you want cleaner low res models.

The point with Taronīs modeling ..I think, is to get away with as many tools you can and only use whatīs really necessary, it shouldnīt be about letting the model process learning you the tools, rather learning a few tools
doing the job satisfactory.

with box modeling you would probably get the concept form established much faster than using extend detail methods which more depend on reference views or models in background, where box modeling is more to fit
what you might have in mind in your vision.

Michael

prometheus
08-17-2013, 03:56 PM
Can find Quick Cut, not Quick Saw.

quick saw should be in the multiply/more menu, the first one, if it isnīt ...co to edit menu,it is called "qs" so you can search qs, click on that to highlight it, you can then click on find in the configure menu and it
should find where it is located, or simply drag and drop it where you want it to be withing the configure menu.

Yes ..you can use slice too, requires manual connecting and editing later mostly.
you can also play around with collapse polygons.

Michael

djwaterman
08-17-2013, 09:51 PM
Create a box, be in Catmull Clark mode, just start knifing or cutting geometry in any old how with what ever tools work for you and get your head shape, once you are more or less happy, start the process of turning that un-godly mess of multi sided polygons into quad polygons. So while modeling you don't worry so much about quads, but when you have the form you want, then do the technical work of fixing up the mesh and getting good poly-flow, the idea being you can swap back to Subpatch mode in the end.