PDA

View Full Version : Steal my dongle, steal my heart!

Animapper
08-15-2013, 10:59 AM
Hi Folks,

On Monday I noticed someone had taken a USB hub from my main 3D machine and it had my usb lightwave dongle. Poof! gone... I immediatly put a support ticket in to the Lightwave group asking to help me and get a new license file generated that wouldn't need the dongle anymore. I am current in my license and using 11.5.

Here I am 4 days later with multiple calls to Newtek (who said they couldn't help) along with follow up emails to three different people and I still have heard nothing. Does anyone have any ideas here? I am actually holding up a project right now because of this. You'd think that those of us who make a living with this software would have quicker response time when dealing with this kind of issue.

Newtek also told me that Lightwave group didn't have a phone to dial out and the only way of support was through email. As a Lightwave user for 15 years, this is something I never have experienced.

iFrustrated,
Dean

Phil
08-15-2013, 11:11 AM
Huh? If you go to your registration page, you should be able to download the LWK and run keyless. Support shouldn't need to do anything that all, as far as I'm aware. LWK files work with and without the dongle in place.

nickdigital
08-15-2013, 11:13 AM
I'm sorry to see this happen to you.

You don't need the dongle to run version 11.5. You could use the software lock to get yourself up and running. Unfortunately if you have any plugins that were tied to the dongle you'll have to reach out to the developers to see if they've made a version that works with the newer license file.

Phil
08-15-2013, 11:16 AM
If you do want a replacement dongle, I think you'll need a police report for the theft.

Animapper
08-15-2013, 11:25 AM
Huh? If you go to your registration page, you should be able to download the LWK and run keyless. Support shouldn't need to do anything that all, as far as I'm aware. LWK files work with and without the dongle in place.

My Lockcode is tied to my dongle. I tried dragging my code into Layout and it doesn't unlock. I don't want another dongle either although I have two older ones and another usb one. I'd rather get away from them completely for this very reason. I believe someone has to set my license to not look for the dongle and regenerate my unlock code.

Phil
08-15-2013, 11:33 AM
My Lockcode is tied to my dongle. I tried dragging my code into Layout and it doesn't unlock. I don't want another dongle either although I have two older ones and another usb one. I'd rather get away from them completely for this very reason. I believe someone has to set my license to not look for the dongle and regenerate my unlock code.

If your license file reads .key rather than .lwk, it is dongle specific. You should be able to get a .lwk file from the user registration page. I don't think .key files are listed there any more for current versions of LW. If you are getting a .key file from the registration page, you will indeed need to ping customer service.

Note that dongle-less operation is only supported on Windows Vista and later (XP requires the dongle) and also requires that you have installed LW from the installer, not copied it over from a different machine.

nickdigital
08-15-2013, 11:33 AM
Hm that doesn't sound right. Is your license file a lwk file? That's the new non-dongle license file. It'll actually work if you do or don't have the dongle plugged in. The lwk file has more lines of information in it whereas the older key file just had a line of numbers.

Can you confirm that your license file is a .lwk file?

digitaldoc
08-15-2013, 11:34 AM
What Nickdigital said is correct, if you are using ZoneAlarm Security, it messes with the licensing.

Animapper
08-15-2013, 11:57 AM
If your license file reads .key rather than .lwk, it is dongle specific. You should be able to get a .lwk file from the user registration page. I don't think .key files are listed there any more for current versions of LW. If you are getting a .key file from the registration page, you will indeed need to ping customer service.

Note that dongle-less operation is only supported on Windows Vista and later (XP requires the dongle) and also requires that you have installed LW from the installer, not copied it over from a different machine.

Thanks everybody - it feels good to have somebody offering something. My downloads area says:
License Key

Download License for Lock ID 36085 and it is an lwk file. It sure seems to be linked to that dongle, right?

nickdigital
08-15-2013, 12:03 PM
The lwk file will work with the dongle but it will also work without it.

dwburman
08-15-2013, 12:03 PM
That's the way it works here. The lock ID matches the dongle ID, but I don't need to have the dongle plugged in to use LightWave.

Tranimatronic
08-15-2013, 12:19 PM
I'm really surprised youre having issues. My dongle was stolen along with my computer when the moving company I hired decided to help themselves to my stuff. I contacted newtek customer support, emailed a copy of the police report and incident number, paid for a new dongle and everything was good (apart from losing most of my recent my work). Newtek customer support have always been ultra helpful through the years.
Do you have a police incident number ? It's probably worth getting one if not.

Waves of light
08-15-2013, 12:43 PM
Ok, I'm hoping these next steps will help you, but they assume you have Win Vista or later.

1. Download your licence key (which is called LICENSE.LWK) from your profile page and save it to your desktop, here's what mine looks like:

2. Find where you have installed Layout.exe for LW11.5 (default for Win 64 is C:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWave11.5\bin for 32 bit it's C:\Program Files (x86)\NewTek\LightWave11.5\bin)
3. Right click on the layout.exe and go to Properties. In the compatibility tab, choose 'Run this program as an administrator'
4. Click OK
5. Run Layout.exe
6. Drag LICENSE.LWK onto splash screen
7. Run and check Layout.exe

If that doesn't work, close Layout and go to C:\Users\YOURNAME\.NewTek\LightWave\11.5\licenses and copy the LICENSE.LWK file in there.

Run Layout.exe and see if you are no longer in Discovery mode.

Animapper
08-15-2013, 12:55 PM
The lwk file will work with the dongle but it will also work without it.

That's what I thought - But it has not left discovery mode for me. I'm running Win 8 Pro - 64bit btw.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, I'm hoping these next steps will help you, but they assume you have Win Vista or later.

1. Download your licence key (which is called LICENSE.LWK) from your profile page and save it to your desktop, here's what mine looks like:

2. Find where you have installed Layout.exe for LW11.5 (default for Win 64 is C:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWave11.5\bin for 32 bit it's C:\Program Files (x86)\NewTek\LightWave11.5\bin)
3. Right click on the layout.exe and go to Properties. In the compatibility tab, choose 'Run this program as an administrator'
4. Click OK
5. Run Layout.exe
6. Drag LICENSE.LWK onto splash screen
7. Run and check Layout.exe

If that doesn't work, close Layout and go to C:\Users\YOURNAME\.NewTek\LightWave\11.5\licenses and copy the LICENSE.LWK file in there.

Run Layout.exe and see if you are no longer in Discovery mode.

Sounds great. I am away from the machine for the next few hours but will do this when I get back and post the results here.

Phil
08-15-2013, 12:58 PM
OK. Just to check, you installed LW from the installer on that machine and never renamed/relocated the folder afterwards? It might be worth reinstalling over the top in case nothing else works. The installer is the key link in the chain to get keyless operation running. You might also need to move/rename any LICENSE.KEY file out of the 11.5\licenses (or 11.5.1\licenses) folder.

Animapper
08-15-2013, 01:19 PM
OK. Just to check, you installed LW from the installer on that machine and never renamed/relocated the folder afterwards? It might be worth reinstalling over the top in case nothing else works. The installer is the key link in the chain to get keyless operation running. You might also need to move/rename any LICENSE.KEY file out of the 11.5\licenses (or 11.5.1\licenses) folder.

I just added an SSD as the boot drive to this box, installed a fresh brand new copy of everything (Win 8 Pro, LW 11.5, LWCAD 4.5) last Weekend so this was a fresh install. I'm heading out now but will report back tonight or first thing in the morning. Thanks again everybody.

Animapper
08-15-2013, 04:25 PM
Well everything is solved guys; Yehaw! It turns out the file being downloaded was a .key file. Upon redownloading it is was an LWK and all worked. What a strange series of events. The good news is I can work tomorrow. I swear that file didn't become an LWK extension until this evening seeing that I installed last weekend... just sayin' :-)

Waves of light
08-16-2013, 02:03 AM
Glad it's all sorted now.

Skonk
08-16-2013, 02:40 AM
"Unfortunately if you have any plugins that were tied to the dongle you'll have to reach out to the developers to see if they've made a version that works with the newer license file."

The LWK file should mimic having the dongle installed even when it it's not; so any plugins you may have purchased that are tied to the dongle should still work.

Cageman
08-16-2013, 04:14 AM
"Unfortunately if you have any plugins that were tied to the dongle you'll have to reach out to the developers to see if they've made a version that works with the newer license file."

The LWK file should mimic having the dongle installed even when it it's not; so any plugins you may have purchased that are tied to the dongle should still work.

Not entirely true. Some plugin developers bypassed the SDK hooks to call the dongle. Worley Labs, as an example, are using their own method of accessing the dongle, and as such, will not be compatible with the software licensing of LW. Thankfully, most third party devs are using the SDK hooks.

Animapper
08-16-2013, 07:48 AM
How about LWCAD 4.5?

Waves of light
08-16-2013, 07:51 AM
How about LWCAD 4.5?

No, that works dongle free with LWCAD 4.5 and LW11.

Animapper
08-16-2013, 10:08 AM
Hi Folks,

On Monday I noticed someone had taken a USB hub from my main 3D machine and it had my usb lightwave dongle. Poof! gone... I immediatly put a support ticket in to the Lightwave group asking to help me and get a new license file generated that wouldn't need the dongle anymore. I am current in my license and using 11.5.

Here I am 4 days later with multiple calls to Newtek (who said they couldn't help) along with follow up emails to three different people and I still have heard nothing. Does anyone have any ideas here? I am actually holding up a project right now because of this. You'd think that those of us who make a living with this software would have quicker response time when dealing with this kind of issue.

Newtek also told me that Lightwave group didn't have a phone to dial out and the only way of support was through email. As a Lightwave user for 15 years, this is something I never have experienced.

iFrustrated,
Dean

It took 4 days but we got it worked out and it turns out that the problem is Newtek still has the Lightwave Registration Database active on their site but the Lightwave 3D Group site has the CURRENT one. I must have had a bookmark that took me to the old site and I never noticed because my sign-in was the same on both sites - Yikes!

Duece called me this morning and explained everything. SO - spread the news that this could happen and until the transition is a bit older it wouldn't be obvious. Thanks to all who pitched in to help - Who'd a thunk this though? Newtek really needs to put a forward on anything Lightwave but it hasn't happened as of yet... I reposted this in a new thread to make sure more folks see this.

Regards,

erikals
08-17-2013, 05:45 AM
haha, the title of this thread is hilarious! http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/boogiedown.gif http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/beerchug.gif